The Spectrum Show Episode 98

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PaulJ
Microbot

The Spectrum Show Episode 98

Post by PaulJ »

Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: The Spectrum Show Episode 98

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]PaulJ[/mention]. Another great watch. Getting closer to the magic 100th episode!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Nice show, as always.

Although I enjoy reading the hardware threads here, I feel the same when people talk about the technical aspects of the Speccy and its different versions - "no idea, now let's talk about the games"... ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Aw, man, I had one of those 3 channel sound interfaces. I can remember being astonished at the rendition of Scarborough Fair. You have to remember, back then BEEP was as good as it had ever got. Then I heard that. I've not heard it for 35 years, so thanks [mention]PaulJ[/mention] .

I'm surprised you couldn't get it to work with any games. I recall Invasion of the Body Snatchers worked with it quite happily. Nothing else though. :roll:
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Another incredibly enjoyable 28 minutes.

I really wanted to be able to make music on my beloved Speccy but could never afford any of the hardware add-ons.

One Christmas I got a cheap Casio keyboard and plugged it into the Speccy thinking that it would just magically convert everything I played to 0's and 1's, which it clearly didn't do. I remember I pressed all the keys on the Casio and at the same time I saw the familiar blue and red loading bars on my TV!! I thought I'd found some amazing way to load music into my Speccy but I now realise I'd just managed to make the correct tone of the loading sound. You have to realise that I was particularly stupid as a child :lol: :lol:
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

dfzx wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm I'm surprised you couldn't get it to work with any games. I recall Invasion of the Body Snatchers worked with it quite happily. Nothing else though. :roll:
I thought that worked with the Fuller Sound unit - it was advertised for that. I didn't try every game, but maybe should have tested the ones for other sound boxes.
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:32 pm
dfzx wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm I'm surprised you couldn't get it to work with any games. I recall Invasion of the Body Snatchers worked with it quite happily. Nothing else though. :roll:
I thought that worked with the Fuller Sound unit - it was advertised for that. I didn't try every game, but maybe should have tested the ones for other sound boxes.
Memory fades... But I know I had the 3 channel sound from that game - it added a huge amount - and I never had a Fuller Box. I think all the AY add on boxes were pretty standardised, weren't they?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.