Christmas 2018 Charity Prize Draw

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Christmas 2018 Charity Prize Draw

Post by PeterJ »

Today I'm starting a Christmas charity prize draw. Money raised will be split equally between 'Macmillan Cancer Support' and the 'Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI)'

The prize is as follows:

SMART Card V2 Spectrum Interface which retail at £25.99 plus postage (find out more here)

Rules:

All money raised (less PayPal fees) will be donated equally to the above charities. I will post screen grabs of the donations on this thread
Tickets cost £1. Drop me a PM with how many tickets you want to purchase and I will send you my PayPal address. You can also donate directly to the charity on-line (Macmillian or RNLI) and message me a screen grab and you will be entered the appropriate number of times. This will save PayPal fees.
The draw closes on the 24th December. A winner will be picked at random on Christmas day by Mrs Jones.
The prize is donated by me and is brand new.
I will also cover the postage costs to UK residents (This will not be taken out of the money donated). If you live outside of the UK I would ask that you cover the postage costs.
**EDIT** - Rule added 12 December - We’ll need at least 8 people to enter before the prizes become available. Monies will be refunded if we don't reach that target.

I think I have covered everything but please add a comment if you have any questions.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Christmas 2018 Charity Prize Draw

Post by PeterJ »

Just a little reminder about our Christmas charity draw.

If anyone is able to donate other new and unused prizes we can then include them in the prize draw and open it up to more charities.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

I'm happy to say that entrants to the Christmas 2018 Charity Prize Draw now also have a chance of winning a mint, unplayed, boxed copy of Spectrum R-Type, straight from the programmer.

When coders finish a game then software houses will sometimes supply them with copies of the finished product and this is one of the boxed copies that were given to me by Activision back in 1988. Since this went directly from the duplicators to Activision themselves you could call it 'uncirculated' since it never made it to the shops and so - 30 years of being stored in my attics notwithstanding - is about as mint as you're going to get.

Can I just ask if you're reading this to perhaps think about something you've got on a shelf or buried in a box of old software that you'd be happy to contribute towards the Christmas Draw. It doesn't necessarily have to be something new or even rare (though that would be great!) but please at least think about donating something. To borrow a catchphrase from Tesco....."Every Little Helps."
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Bizzley wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm I'm happy to say that entrants to the Christmas 2018 Charity Prize Draw now also have a chance of winning a mint, unplayed, boxed copy of Spectrum R-Type, straight from the programmer.
Peter. Take away my admin status so I'm eligible, and get me 600 tickets!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Dave, are you going to donate those 243 spare bytes that you found down the back of the sofa?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

First donations made:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:03 pm Dave, are you going to donate those 243 spare bytes that you found down the back of the sofa?
I guess I should chip in with something then! Sorry for the picture quality.

One of the prizes can be ^this^ bundle:

Cassettes of Mole Rat! & Shuttlebug, unique, made for my own interest, they were never actually sold.
A *cassette of Homebrew by Jon cauldwell.
A totally unique cassette of 'Shove Off', a game I hacked the graphics of years ago (I can't remember why!). This file exists no-where else! Not even on the lap-top it was originally done on.
A copy of my book, "Thomas Wogan is Dead", that hardly anybody bought, and resides in a box under my desk since I bought all the stock when the publisher folded! Can be signed by the author if desired.

Free postage.

*ahem, duplicate from my collection
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Another prize bundle up for grabs.
These are original badges from 1987ish.
This is one of my badges that I was awarded for the extremely helpful hints 'n' tips that I sent in and was printed in hallowed pages of the fabulous magazine that is 'Your Sinclair'.
Also, a US Gold badge that I managed to buy/nick/given from the US Gold stand PCW show at the Earls Court/Olympia venues.. or maybe it was a ZX Microfair.

I will send prize and pay postage.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Bob has kindly sent me the copy of R-Type and it really is a thing of beauty. There is also included a signed letter from Bob. This package is a must for all Spectrum fans!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4256

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Sorry all—we misjudged the interest in this. It looks like we’re going to have more prize-givers than entrants!

1 person has entered so far (we already chipped in, but can’t win a prize), so we can’t really call it a raffle. Hope there’s no objections if we say that we’ll need at least 8 people to enter before the prizes become available. So we’d need 7 more people, otherwise we’ll call it off.

The 1 person that has already entered wasn’t aware of this, so to be fair on them we’re going to offer them my bundle, or a refund (if we cancel it).

Cheerz.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just to update, we had just one other person who wanted to buy tickets (but we didn't take the money), so the raffle is closed. Thanks to those who donated the prizes. I will offer personally (as the money has already been donated to the RNLI) to refund to the one person who has paid £5 or they can have the prize pack from[mention]R-Tape[/mention]. I will find a way of auctioning R-Type, probably via eBay (Bob is happy with this). I will donate the funds to the two charities above.

If anyone has any better ideas as to how we can raise money for worthwhile causes I'm happy to listen. A PM is probably best though please.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

oh crap, I wanted to donate for the draw but I am late, like almost always :oops:

Would you consider doing the draw but advertising it in other places, like Twitter, to get more possible participants?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ivanzx wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm oh crap, I wanted to donate for the draw but I am late, like almost always :oops:

Would you consider doing the draw but advertising it in other places, like Twitter, to get more possible participants?
Hi, I did try the Facebook groups, but not Twitter. Happy to discuss any options. Send me a PM.