King Valley ('WE' Group, 1994) unofficial tape version

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
mzx
Dizzy

King Valley ('WE' Group, 1994) unofficial tape version

Post by mzx »

King Valley is one of the best games of the year 1994, unfortunately there is no official tape version. But I wanted to play King Valley with a +2, without joystick (I don't like joysticks), so I had to make the tape version. It was finished: King Valley (MZX tape version)

This tape version of the game is unofficial, I did not get any permission to create it, therefore I apologize to the original creators. Of course, at the request of any of them, I will delete this version immediately.

1. Original game:
Publisher: 'WE' group
Authors: Andrey Ugolnik (coding, graphics), Evgeny Yanushkevich (graphics), Oleg Romanovich (music), Nikolay Kozhevnikov (levels), Kamikaze (screens), Dik Aleksey & Alex Plusow (consultation)

Multiload: the game load game levels from disk during playing. (1st problem)
TRD: requires the TR-DOS Operating System.
Control: Kempston, Sinclair and Cursor joystick. Kempston control works perfectly, but Sinclair and Cursor control is malfunctioning: the program monitors all three controls one after the other during playing, and the Kemspton control is interfered the Sinclair and Cursor controls. (2nd problem)
Extra keys: 'H' - pause, 'CS+1' (edit) - restart level, 'M' - music on/off, P - password (only in menu), T - top ten (only in menu)
The game includes Russian and English messages (sometimes mixed). (3rd problem)
The game includes intro screen with messages after loading.

2. MZX tape version:

Not multiload: loading game levels to memory pages (4 & 6) before playing, using Einar Saukas's ZX7, the decompressor is activated when changing levels.
Disk-related messages have been deleted.
The original intro screen and messages have been deleted, more precisely, these are missing. The game starts with the menu screen after loading and keypressing.
Control: Kempston joystick and QAOPSp, the two controls are separated, game starts fire key pressed, even the original game, but here only one control works (if joy's fire button pressed: Kempston works, if Space pressed, then keys work)
Extra keys: 'H' - pause, 'CS+1' (edit) - restart level, 'S' - music on/off (Why did I replace 'M'? For a while 'M' was the fire button, so I changed the music on/off switch to 'S', later I realized that 'Space' is the right fire button in 128K, but I didn't change back), P - password (only in menu), T - top ten (only in menu)
The game includes only English messages, except 'poka-poka' (russian bye bye) in start screen. I tried to translate the original text faithfully (I learned Russian and English, both very long ago and very little).

3. Last thoughts:

This version works with real machines and most emulators (except SpecEmu). It would have been possible to speed up the loading with turbo, but the loading is still fast enough thanks to ZX7 (loading time: 4:25, compression ratio: ~36%).

Created by M/ZX in February 2019 in Szeged, Hungary.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: King Valley ('WE' Group, 1994) unofficial tape version

Post by Pegaz »

Works well on SpecEmu, as expected.
It was hard to think, that it wouldnt work with the best and most accurate Spectrum emulator. ;)
Thanks for the file, btw... didnt know about this version, just for this great Konami arcade port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=158TE2iqKSI
mzx
Dizzy

Re: King Valley ('WE' Group, 1994) unofficial tape version

Post by mzx »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 am Works well on SpecEmu, as expected.
It was hard to think, that it wouldnt work with the best and most accurate Spectrum emulator. ;)
Thanks for the file, btw... didnt know about this version, just for this great Konami arcade port:
SpecEmu is one of the best emulators, no doubt! But when I tried the game (my tape version), then the game was started automatically as if I had pressed the joystick fire button. I do not know why, but tape version works on real machine, so it is not particularly interesting.
Anyway King Valley is not the port of Konami's game, just its title is similar.