Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Hello

Post by Nitrowing »

Hello all :D
I had the 48k when they came out.
Learned BASIC from copying pages of code from the magazines.
I still have a rubbery in front of the TV beside the Next but they're both purely decorative.

**Moved to Introduce Thread By ADMIN**
Audio-senpai
Drutt

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Audio-senpai »

Hello there, I am Audio. I'm an aspiring writer from California looking to get into game development.

As an American, my introduction to the ZX Spectrum was through Rare when they put Jetpac as a bonus game into DK64. Of course what got me interested were prominent British youtubers like Guru Larry and DJ Slope who spoke passionately about it.

Right now I'm currently researching retro computers for a project idea I have. I have a story in mind involving a retro computer so I want to get as much info as I can to determine which kind it should be based off of.

I look forward to learning a lot from you guys.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]Audio-senpai[/mention],

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'm sure we can help out.
Knighthawk
Drutt

Post by Knighthawk »

Hello there,

I am Mike, I had the ZX Spectrum in the Day from WHSmiths, still have many, including clones, Next, Omni, Harlequin, Uno and Originals.

I create bespoke cases and setups to be able to carry a fully working machine and kit to play anywhere.

My latest project is getting the Ben Heck Show mini Spectrum up and running which is proving challenging.

Always nice to see everything Spectrum and the people who follow it.

Mike
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Welcome Knighthawk! You have an interesting hobby.
I just finished something similar using the ZXBaremulator emulator. It's a bit bulky so not as portable.
Knighthawk
Drutt

Post by Knighthawk »

Hi cmal,

Thank you, I will get some of my images together and post some builds.

Mike
HullSpecMan
Drutt

Post by HullSpecMan »

Hello my names Nigel

I have been a Sinclair fan since my dad bought a ZX81 in 1982 (never owned a ZX80). My mum bought me a 48k Spectrum when the price dropped and then Interface One a year later. I still have all of the microdrives but can't use them until they get re-felted! I moved on to a QL towards the end of 1990's and have different memory expansions and variations both hardware and software. With the exception of the +2A/B have several of each model. I haven't been on any original hardware for a while due to using ZX81, Spectrum and QL emulators. What with all of the recent advances it is so much easier to transfer files to and from each system.
studio_lowfi
Drutt

Post by studio_lowfi »

Hi, Iain here!

Had a Spectrum as a young kid, but then (shock, horror!) by dad upgraded to a BBC Micro. However, over the years I've accumulated a small collection of spectrums and a ZX81 from jumble sales and car boot sales. Of course, with lockdown, I got them all down from the loft, switched them on and only two of them worked. So, now I have the task of refurbishing them.

Have re-capped my first motherboard and magically it all seemed to work. Now to try the others...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome [mention]studio_lowfi[/mention]

There's an impressive number of people on here that can casually say they "re-capped" the motherboard. Speaking as a hardware duffer, it sounds as distant as building your own mars lander!
Starquack
Drutt

Post by Starquack »

Hi, I'm Starquack. Bought my first computer , a Mattel Aquarius , with money from my paperrounds back in 1982. After that I bought an Oric Atmos a good looking keyboard but no games! 84 bought a spectrum, bought first game Booty and kept going with Spectrums until 1992 ish when I got hold of an Amiga with tons of discs but it wasn't the same.

The Spectrum reminds me of being 15,teenage problems, having homework to do, avoiding family ,avoiding bullies at school and just wanting to play computers. Did write some programs in Basic, machine code was just a little too much for my brain. Now I'm 51 and still enjoying spec games and chat.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Starquack wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pmDid write some programs in Basic, machine code was just a little too much for my brain. Now I'm 51 and still enjoying spec games and chat.
You're never too old and it's never too late. I won't be 51 for another decade - providing I make it that far, which I probably won't - and I'm only just looking into machine code now. I'm kicking myself that I never gave it a shot earlier.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Starquack
Drutt

Post by Starquack »

Machine code would involve having to get hold of a spectrum again, relearning all the quirky keyboard set-up etc., I couldn't do it on an emulator.
If I did do something , it would be on AGD
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Starquack wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm Machine code would involve having to get hold of a spectrum again, relearning all the quirky keyboard set-up etc., I couldn't do it on an emulator.
You can if you've got a working copy of Spin (0.666, 0.7Q or 0.7S - I'm using 0.7Q), as it has a built-in Z80 assembler.

I am making heavy use of that now, and I'm even correcting Toni Baker with it. Yes, you heard that right!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

We are waiting for the thousandth member... :)
Starquack
Drutt

Post by Starquack »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:19 pm
Starquack wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm Machine code would involve having to get hold of a spectrum again, relearning all the quirky keyboard set-up etc., I couldn't do it on an emulator.
You can if you've got a working copy of Spin (0.666, 0.7Q or 0.7S - I'm using 0.7Q), as it has a built-in Z80 assembler.

I am making heavy use of that now, and I'm even correcting Toni Baker with it. Yes, you heard that right!
I have Zx Spectrum4 download which has an assembler and some other bits and bobs that I haven't used. I only bought it for the library of games,some obscure.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 am We are waiting for the thousandth member... :)
Here it is, appropriately named:

pnvd
Drutt

Post by pnvd »

Hi

Im Pedro, from Portugal. I have a 128k +A grey, bough recently. I never add a Spectrum,so i though this was the time.
It has some issues, but that stays for later.

Thanks all
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]pnvd[/mention],

Nice to have you here.

Peter
40crisis
Drutt

Post by 40crisis »

Hello,

Rubber Zx Spectrum 48k was my first computer and past so many hours on it with friends.
I'm still enjoying using it.
I'm amazed on how strong is the spectrum community today.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Welcome, [mention]40crisis[/mention] !
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Welcome, [mention]40crisis[/mention] !! I think you are the author of the Space Invaders simulator, right? :)
BillyS
Drutt

Post by BillyS »

Hi everyone,

I’m Billy from Gloucester. I had a 48K+ when I was a kid, I had hours of fun playing Airwolf, Spyhunter and ATV simulator plus many others.
I’m hoping I can relive my youth by joining this forum and get some useful advice on buying hardware and also emulators.
40crisis
Drutt

Post by 40crisis »

Ivanzx wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 am Welcome, @40crisis !! I think you are the author of the Space Invaders simulator, right? :)
Yes you're perfectly right ;)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

40crisis wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:16 am
Ivanzx wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 am Welcome, @40crisis !! I think you are the author of the Space Invaders simulator, right? :)
Yes you're perfectly right ;)
Good!! :)

Any new Spectrum game in the pipeline? ;)
Martijn
Drutt

Post by Martijn »

Hi there,

My name is Martijn living in the Netherlands and I want to get to know the ZX Spectrum (My father had one in very early '80s)
So I ordered a Harlequin 128 rev 2 diy large kit and a nice plus (+) case with membrame.

Next step before everything ships in, I want to learn all about the ZX Spectrum.
I bought many books for learning Basic and Machine Language.
Not sure which of the two I should start, but after trying some emulators I found out, start with basic.
Mainly was my choice based on the struggle I had with understanding why Spectrum keys have commands under them instead of just understanding basic commands like my MSX 1 did in 1988 ;)

So I basicly started with beginning of beginner books about ZX Spectrum basic and offcourse after trying some of my own thoughts I created into a simple program I experienced questions.... for you?

So don't mind my Spectrum ignorance questions please.
Thanks and laters...
Martijn.