Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by druellan »

Hi! I'm new here. I'm Darío, I'm from Argentina, former Timex Sinclair 2068 user, and now an enthusiast that wants to collaborate with the database and the site in general.

I'm a long time reader of comp.sys.sinclair and user of WOS, but for some reason I was always outside the community, never reaching the forums.
Recently I decided to get in touch with the Spectrum Computing guys, and they are so nice that I decided to start collaborating with the site and the ZXDB database in general, reporting bugs and omissions or sending missing screenshots. Nothing fancy but I suppose everything counts :D

So, I must say "thank you" to anyone that was or is contributing to this preservation effort. A big chunk of my childhood is around here, on this database.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Bienvenido amigo! We had similar experience I always used to read WOS but I never posted on the forums.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]druellan[/mention], good to have you on board.

Checking for inconsistencies is important work, so thank you in advance.
netraider
Drutt

Post by netraider »

Howdy all!

It's amazing how only now I came across this Speccy 'Oasis', with no one to guide me here... :cry:

It's been a long time since the 'other' site stopped being maintained and all but completely abandoned, and I only visited it very rarely to see what they were up to, so I wondered where most of the competent and cool people were getting together, and lo and behold, just by chance (or not) they're here! :D

Ok, my name is Nuno and some may know me from many years ago, while helping out the preservation team (mostly Andy and Steve), recovering some tapes that were in bad shape...
I still have some other interesting stuff that was waiting to be added to 'THE' database, and hopefully it'll be useful for ZXDB!

A really BIG thank you to all involved in creating this fantastic ZX shrine!

Cheers!
/N
Old_Bird
Drutt

Post by Old_Bird »

Hi All

I'm from north Wales and I'm seriously late to the Spectrum party :D
At 16 I got a ZX81 and RAM pack (they were brand new then) but then instead of moving up to the speccy I went to the "nut" side.

Now, I've just obtained a rubber key series 3 Spectrum off eBay and, after a membrane change, it's working!

I seem to be in collecting mode as I've now have a Spectrum+ too....

Cheers

Simon
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hi, [mention]Old_Bird[/mention], and

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hello everybody! Feel yourself at home!

You are not late for the party, it's actually just starting ;)

Forgive me for not mentioning the names but it looks like we have a few new members and I wouldn't like to miss anybody ;)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Welcome everybody!
netraider wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:40 pmOk, my name is Nuno and some may know me from many years ago, while helping out the preservation team (mostly Andy and Steve), recovering some tapes that were in bad shape...
I still have some other interesting stuff that was waiting to be added to 'THE' database, and hopefully it'll be useful for ZXDB!
Certainly! I sent you a PM :)
Last edited by Einar Saukas on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

ADJB wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 amEx preservation team member from a different era on a different site. Used to run the preservation team shop.
It seems most of the preservation team is here :)
tooloudtoowide
Drutt

Post by tooloudtoowide »

saying hello from Poland
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Witamy, cieszyć się.
3583Bytes
Drutt

Hello from Canada

Post by 3583Bytes »

Hi everyone,

Although I live in Canada now I was born in Poland and my first computer was a Timex 2048 and awesome 99% compatible ZX spectrum clone with a joystick port. Sadly when my parents immigrated they decided to leave the computer behind (due to different power/TV signal) and my time with the spectrum ended.

Fortunately North America had easy access to Commodore 64 and later Amiga 500 so my classical game education continued, but I have always missed my original Spectrum.

I currently have a Recreated ZX Spectrum blue-tooth keyboard that I converted into a Retro Pi. Its almost enough to feel those rubber keys as I play Jetpac. However last night I bit the bullet and ordered a ZX Spectrum 48K off ebay. Its not tested so I am not sure what I am getting into but it should be fun.

My plan is to use a Sega Genesis PSU for US power and do the composite AV mod (which seems super easy). After that I hope that one of my TVs can handle the PAL input (which modern TVs should) and see if the computer works.

If I need a new keyboard which is a common issue I think they are available at Sell My Retro. If its a harder issue to fix I may need some help from you guys :)

Cheers,
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Kweepa »

Who are you trying to fool?
You are clearly a VIC-20 spy with that handle! :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome 3583!
3583Bytes wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:12 am However last night I bit the bullet and ordered a ZX Spectrum 48K off ebay. Its not tested so I am not sure what I am getting into but it should be fun.
That is usually ebay speak for "tested and not working", I hope this is a rare exception!

If you have any hardware problems there are always people that can help.

(Merged into 'Introduce yourself' topic)
3583Bytes
Drutt

Post by 3583Bytes »

Kweepa wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 am Who are you trying to fool?
You are clearly a VIC-20 spy with that handle! :)
Glad to be surrounded by people that would catch that :)
zeusdaz
Drutt

Post by zeusdaz »

Hello everyone, I've just joined so please go easy on me lol.
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and hope I will get chatting with many of you in the near future through either these forums or my Youtube channel. (my appologies for posting this twice, it was a mistake, I'm new and learning my way round the site, sorry guys).

I go by the name of Zeus (my old Amiga contact name) and I live in the U.K where I grew up bang in the middle of those golden gaming days in the 80's.
My Youtube channel is called "Zeusdaz - The Unemulated Retro Game Channel" (https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEUSDAZ) which contains over 1500 videos of old retro games covering ZX Spectrum (my main love), Amiga A500 (my other main love), C64, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Megadrive / Genesis, Atari 800xl, A1200, Arcade and even a longplay video of the classic LCD game Firefox F7, plus a few other consoles.

My two main gaming loves have always been the ZX Spectrum (128k+1 Toastrack) and the Amiga A500 which I still own both to this day.
All the videos on there are recorded from the original hardware,...no PC emulation (except the arcade stuff, MAME used) so you will get the true experience and memories of those old games.
Videos include longplays, Gaming Livestreams on Sundays at 7pm GMT, "let's plays" - with commentary, which is best? comparison videos, retro music countdown videos, C64 & Amiga cracktro music videos - one being 12hrs long!, and Sh*t Game Time videos (this is where a really bad game is rated on the sh*t-o-meter and slammed in the vault of sh*tness - contains swearing!),...you can request these on my channel :)

I really hope you pop by, everyone is so 8-) and friendly on there and I have made many new friends myself since opening the channel,...I just know you'll find something on there you'll enjoy :-D

All the best and hope to see you on there chatting away!!!
Here is a gift for you Spectrum AY music fans which I created a little while back :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdD34TOrFUM
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Re: Hello Spectrumites! :-)

Post by Wall_Axe »

welcome mr.das Ive been watching your reviews for a while...and couldnt help watch the end of the playthrough of rastan out of curiousity
PQR
Manic Miner

Feels like the return to a warm bath

Post by PQR »

Hey, my name is Paul, and up until six year ago I used to be a regular WOS member.

I’ve contributed to a handful of projects in the past, such as application icons for Fuse for OSX, keyboard layout images for Spectaculator, and a font for Jonathan Cauldwell’s More Tea Vicar?.
I’m a type designer by profession, and I’ve always enjoyed designing pixel fonts. Besides that I like to tinker around in Sinclair Basic and Z80 machine language occasionally.

You can check out some of my Speccy stuff on www.type-invaders.com/sinclair/.

While I am still happily waiting for my Spectrum Next to arrive, I recently installed Retropie on a Raspberry Pi and enjoy playing Spectrum games via a wireless controller now.

It’s only last week that I discovered this place, and seeing so many familiar names again, and to have a clean, uncluttered phpBB forum again, it almost feels as coming home here. The most approprate thing I could do was to dig up my old WOS forum avatar image. :)

Well done, and a big thank you to all the people who make SC possible!

-Paul
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hi, [mention]PQR[/mention] and . . .

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Feels like the return to a warm bath

Post by Einar Saukas »

PQR wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:33 pmHey, my name is Paul, and up until six year ago I used to be a regular WOS member.

I’ve contributed to a handful of projects in the past, such as application icons for Fuse for OSX, keyboard layout images for Spectaculator, and a font for Jonathan Cauldwell’s More Tea Vicar?.
I’m a type designer by profession, and I’ve always enjoyed designing pixel fonts. Besides that I like to tinker around in Sinclair Basic and Z80 machine language occasionally.

You can check out some of my Speccy stuff on www.type-invaders.com/sinclair/.

While I am still happily waiting for my Spectrum Next to arrive, I recently installed Retropie on a Raspberry Pi and enjoy playing Spectrum games via a wireless controller now.

It’s only last week that I discovered this place, and seeing so many familiar names again, and to have a clean, uncluttered phpBB forum again, it almost feels as coming home here. The most approprate thing I could do was to dig up my old WOS forum avatar image. :)

Well done, and a big thank you to all the people who make SC possible!

-Paul
Hi Paul, it's nice to see you again!!!

In the 6 years since you left, FZX became a standard for proportional fonts for the Spectrum. There's now an excellent editor called FZX Editor. You may want to take a look, I bet you will like it!

I can only imagine what could be accomplished in your hands. :)
PQR
Manic Miner

Re: Feels like the return to a warm bath

Post by PQR »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 pm Hi Paul, it's nice to see you again!!!

In the 6 years since you left, FZX became a standard for proportional fonts for the Spectrum. There's now an excellent editor called FZX Editor. You may want to take a look, I bet you will like it!

I can only imagine what could be accomplished in your hands. :)
Thanks Einar!

I know the fzx format pretty well. When Andrew Owen developed the spec for it he asked me to have a look.

I even made an attempt to write a Python library for reading/writing fzx files long time ago. I should dig it up again. :)
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Hi Paul, good to see you. I'm still using your ZX-82 font, it's great :)

AA has added FZX fonts to z88dk, as one of the options for stdout, so hopefully good 8-bit typography will start to spread!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Hernan
Drutt

Post by Hernan »

Hi!

I'm Hernán, from Buenos Aires. Spectrum fan since 1986.

I've been in the Speccy community since quite long (css and ecss newsgroups, WOS forums, speccy.org forums...) so this is the natural evolution to that :)

Thanks for making this great website!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hi, [mention]Hernan[/mention]!

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hello Hernan. Come often. Hope that you'll like the website.