Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hey, [mention]TMD2003[/mention] Fancy seeing you here! Come on in, the water is fine.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:53 am It's a heavily-edited screenshot from Wibstars, another game you may know my RZXing capabilities for. It seems there were two people on this planet who liked that game: me, and someone who commented on the video on YouTube.
Count me in as well, I liked Wibstars for its novelty value although in the end it got rather repetitive.

Glad to see you here :)
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

Greetings from England! Still in lockdown which is getting boring now but it has given me the chance to relive my Speccy days. I've been looking through a lot of @pavero 's "remastered" inlay scans which has taken me right back to my childhood. Back when you'd spend ages in the shop just looking at the front and back of the cassettes trying to make a good purchase with your pocket money. I'm starting to feel depressed now! :D
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Hi there from Palermo-Italy!

I got my 48kb rubberkey spectrum back in 1984 and kept it working to these days

I never understood codng and still don't (i don't get all those peek, poke etc stuff) BUT in 2013 i discovered Jonathan Cauldwell's AGD (thanks to some wonderful tutorials made by Paul Jenkinson) and i started playing with it since then (lately I have been enjoying Allan Turveys mods such as AGDx and AGDx mini)

I still don't know (nor understand) real coding but I have lots of fun exploring the possibilities offered by AGD (for some time i also experimented with CGD by Dave Hughes) and I enjoy sharing my little discoveries (i always try something new when i write a game with AGD) even though my games are often incomplete or very hard to play
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]gabriele amore[/mention],

You have a very impressive library of titles. My favourite is C is for Crabby!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=5141
shred
Drutt

Post by shred »

Hi there!

I got a ZX81 as starter drug back in the 1980s, and then made the usual career of a computer nerd: ZX Spectrum, Amiga 500, Amiga 4000, Linux on a PC. I've learned BASIC and assembler on my good old Speccy. Today I earn my living as a software developer, so I made my hobby my profession. But I never forgot my roots.

I am the author of tzxtools. With that tool, I could recover my old Spectrum tapes, restore my very first demo, and my two Cracker tools. 8-)

Since a few days I'm the proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Next. I'm going to write some assembler programs for this artwork, of course. I just don't know what yet, maybe a cool demo that finally makes me famous in the Speccy demo scene. :lol:

I'm looking forward for being a part of the Spectrum Computing Forum community! Let's have fun together.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

shred wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:07 pm Hi there!

I got a ZX81 as starter drug back in the 1980s, and then made the usual career of a computer nerd: ZX Spectrum, Amiga 500, Amiga 4000, Linux on a PC. I've learned BASIC and assembler on my good old Speccy. Today I earn my living as a software developer, so I made my hobby my profession. But I never forgot my roots.

I am the author of tzxtools. With that tool, I could recover my old Spectrum tapes, restore my very first demo, and my two Cracker tools. 8-)

Since a few days I'm the proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Next. I'm going to write some assembler programs for this artwork, of course. I just don't know what yet, maybe a cool demo that finally makes me famous in the Speccy demo scene. :lol:

I'm looking forward for being a part of the Spectrum Computing Forum community! Let's have fun together.
Wilkommen! Du kommst aus Köln, oder? Ich wohne in Frankfurt aber ich bin Spanier.

Not a lot of germans here, so bitte feel welcome :)
Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

Hmm, I never did an "introduce yourself" post back on WoS, so I may as well rectify that now.

I am a guy from Prague who obviously got stuck in the 80's regarding his love for the ZX Spectrum.
Initially, I just wrote few Spectrum games and utilities back then.
Later on I couldn't help myself to move on so I created an AY player for Amiga, which laid the foundation for the .ay music rips.
Still being stuck in the past even later, I created the ZXDS emulator for Nintendo DS, which recently saw a 3DS release.
Sometime along the way I started frequenting WoS forums, which spurred some other things, like the PZX format, random number generators, or couple of Z80, timing and contention tests.

It's nice to see this forum which gives me the vibes of the WoS of the past. I have a feeling I might be coming by from time to time. ;)

Patrik
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Patrik Rak wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:13 pm It's nice to see this forum which gives me the vibes of the WoS of the past.
Excellent, that has always been one of our aims.
avlixa
Drutt

Post by avlixa »

Hi,
I'm Antonio from Spain.
I started with my spectrum 16k at about 1984 wich I upgrade to 48k.
Since my father bought me a PC, and I left the spectrum out until a few years ago that I heard a podcast and I resume to the spectrum world.

I'm the author of ZX Connection, a game that I rescue from an old tape and I could finish recently, and it is already added to spectrum computing.

I'm interesting in helping with preservation. I already sent an spanish version of Androids, and I have ZX81 Investronica tapes that someday I'd like to preserve.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Welcome [mention]avlixa[/mention] !
boriel
Drutt

Post by boriel »

Hi,

I'm Jose from Spain, but my nick is [mention]boriel[/mention].
I'm the creator of the ZX Basic Compiler.
I've noticed some people using the compiler to create games and I'll be glad to help them using it (there are many forums out there, I try to be on most of them).
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Hi,

I´m Bernhard from southwest germany. After starting on ZX81 I "naturally" went to ZX Spectrum 48k when it was available. (Instead of going to C64 as most german people had). For me the Speccy is more to the heart, than just only a computer. But this you know, people on this forum :D

Together with my friend once I found a hack for infinite lifes in Booty. We are the first publishing it in CRASH although it takes additional time to send it to UK via snailmail. This was 1:1 copied from other people afterwards "as their fund" :lol:

We also did some artwork :lol: ...

Later I bought a Beta 48k Disk Interface and then lost interest when 128k Speccy appears. Going to IBM PCs. When Emulatos like Gerton Lunters Z80 (DOS Version) appear (my alltime favorite Emulator because of it´s shortcut-key handling) I come back to Speccy. At this time, WOS was the best information site with dailys update E-Mails by Martijn van der Heide.

I also did a CDROM with Spectrum-Collection called "SpectROM":

I participate on SpecNext Kickstarter and get a "Board Only" and an "Accelerated". Thanks goto complete SpecNext-Team which shares Rick Dickinsons Design Spirit.

Main interest is "whats going on" in Spectrum Software and Hardware. Assembler Routines. Betadisk-Programming and Emulators. And almost everything that comes out new for the Speccy todays.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Patrik Rak wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:13 pm I created the ZXDS emulator for Nintendo DS
Hi Patrik, just wanted to say I'm one of ZXDS huge fans - your emulator is just so, so good. The way you have adapted it to this handheld, utilizing the two screens, touch function and also thought about just everything is truly astonishing. I mainly play Linley's Crawl on my DS but keep ZXDS on it too, because it's a design masterclass, and I might need that ZX-on-the-go fix one day too ;)

Thanks!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]boriel[/mention] and [mention]Luzie[/mention]

Glad to find both of you here as well! Bienvenido! Willkommen! :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Welcome [mention]boriel[/mention] borand [mention]Luzie[/mention] !
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

Introduce yourself....

On this forum I am quite new. On WoS I have been active for years.

I am born at the end of 1967, so whenever you read this post you can calculate my age.

I had a ZX Spectrum from 1983 up to about 2015. I was using emulation much more than the real machine
that I donated my computers (ZX Spectrum and 2x ZX81) on Ben Versteeg.

On the ZX Spectrum I coded several games. Since 2007 I mainly coded minigames and
hosted a few years that competition. In 2011 I wanted to port my SHOGUN-game to the ZX81.
When I ported that game I discovered that in 1K hires was possible.

A demo drawing circles and I thought can I code a game with this technic.
The result is 74 hires games (at the moment of writing this) coded in 1K.
The games will come available on this site.

I also coded several 1K lowresgames and I use a technic that was not supported by
my old ZX81 emulator for the ZX Spectrum si I rewrote my emulator and made it better than it was.

I am still improving the emulator at the moment of writing this and I still have a few ideas
for new 1K hires games to come. If you have an idea just let me know....
I will take a look if I can fit it in 1K.

Greetings,
Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

boriel wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 pm I'm the creator of the ZX Basic Compiler.
Welcome Jose! PM sent.
Luzie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 pm I´m Bernhard from southwest germany. After starting on ZX81 I "naturally" went to ZX Spectrum 48k when it was available. (Instead of going to C64 as most german people had). For me the Speccy is more to the heart, than just only a computer. But this you know, people on this forum :D
Welcome Luzie! I find it very interesting that some people went 'against the grain', e.g those who made the less common choice, or stayed faithful to the speccy when the 16bits took over. I'm ashamed to say that this doesn't apply to me: back in the day (but not now of course), I envied the C64, and dropped the speccy like a stone when the 16 bits arrived. For shame!
Together with my friend once I found a hack for infinite lifes in Booty. We are the first publishing it in CRASH although it takes additional time to send it to UK via snailmail. This was 1:1 copied from other people afterwards "as their fund" :lol:
Haha brilliant. The lengths we used to go to!
Main interest is "whats going on" in Spectrum Software and Hardware. Assembler Routines. Betadisk-Programming and Emulators. And almost everything that comes out new for the Speccy todays.
Amen to that :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Welcome to an old WoS mate, [mention]Dr beep[/mention] !
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Nice to see Johan here as well! Welcome [mention]Dr beep[/mention] :D
Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

akeley wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:05 pm ... your emulator is just so, so good.
Thanks, man. I feel humbled hearing such a high praise... Glad you like it!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Patrik Rak wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:40 pm
akeley wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:05 pm ... your emulator is just so, so good.
Thanks, man. I feel humbled hearing such a high praise... Glad you like it!
You should get used to it, Patrik, in the spanish scene your emulator has an excellent reputation and many people has expressed their happiness to be able to have a portable Spectrum :)

Dekuji!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ivanzx wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:12 pm You should get used to it, Patrik, in the spanish scene your emulator has an excellent reputation and many people has expressed their happiness to be able to have a portable Spectrum :)

Dekuji!
Agreed - it's a thing of beauty... :)

My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
pobtastic
Drutt

Post by pobtastic »

Hey everyone,

I got my first Spectrum (48K) around 1985 I think? It wasn't "mine" to begin with, it was a family computer but eventually I guess they got bored with it and as I'd taken to coding and making stuff - it then migrated into my bedroom.

Eventually when it broke, I bought a +2 with paper round money (I'm pretty sure I was too young to be doing a paper round but hey ho!) and did eventually get a +3 after that as well. Mainly as the keys on the tape deck kept snapping and overall I felt like the build quality was really lacking. I was pretty disappointed with the +3 as well because of the audio issues but I'd learnt assembly by this point and had written a bunch of games and utilities so I was well and truly hooked!

I unfortunately sold EVERYTHING at some point on (early) eBay as I'd had some money troubles, the only thing I've kept is a BugByte Manic Miner, JSW and an interface 2 ROM cartridge of Jetpac. Such a shame, as I had some very nice things like complete Rainbird box sets for Guild of Thieves, The Pawn, Starglider, etc, etc, etc... but well, emulation is fantastic and the wealth of information out there on the internet helps me and all of us to relive our past whenever we like :ugeek:

Nowadays I'm a professional software developer, and in my spare time I recreate Spectrum games using FUZE4Switch (see also; https://fuzearena.com/help)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]pobtastic[/mention],

I had seen the Raspberry Pi version of Fuze, but not this one. Looks really impressive, especially the kids guide to programming. Excellent stuff.

https://www.fuze.co.uk/uploads/8/0/7/1/ ... tbook1.pdf

Do you have any links to the Spectrum games you have re-created?