Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
XvarZ
Drutt

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by XvarZ »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm But please tell us you didn't choose that avatar because you like Red Heat :shock: (the game).
:D

The actor is iconic in it's own way (much like the speccy I guess :) )

But no, the game isn't at all the reason I chose the avatar.

Maybe I should change it. I see it gives the wrong impression... :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

XvarZ wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm Maybe I should change it. I see it gives the wrong impression... :lol:
Not at all! In fact the graphics are the best thing about that game.

At least we can console ourselves with the fact that it was a howler on all systems. I think the speccy version is actually a very good attempt at a crap idea (can't polish a turd and all that). Red Heat should have been a lot more than an eccentric and ropey beatemup.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hey, actually I kind of liked Red Heat on the Spectrum! :mrgreen: A bit samey all across, except for those pesky nurses on the hospital level, but not the worst movie-tie in by a mile - should I remind you of Highlander or Big Trouble in Chinatown?

Anyway: Welcome to the forum! :D
SpaceFlightOrange
Drutt

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

Hello!

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm James and I became the owner of a Spectrum+ yesterday. It's my first Spectrum and was given to me by a work colleague who found it whilst cleaning out his dads loft. It's boxed, in lovely condition and is complete. It's an issue 6a board.

The Machine does turn on (it didn't seem to at first because I couldn't tune it in), but the membrane is shot as most of the keys don't work and the odd ones that do output incorrect values (this bit worries me)

I'm waiting on a new membrane, a recap kit and a new regulator.

I was directed to here from Stardot by @1024MAK (Thanks Mark).
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello James.

Welcome to the Spectrum Computing forums 👏 :D

I see you have already posted about your sick Speccy.

I’ll reply over there.

Please do look around the rest of the site, as this is not just a forum.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

My name's Andy.

I just thought I'd say hello, so... Hello!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:25 pm My name's Andy.

I just thought I'd say hello, so... Hello!
Andy! Great to see you here.

(Bellend).
Foxbat_25
Drutt

Post by Foxbat_25 »

Hello!

I'm a new member who joined the forum because I recently got my hands on a Spectrum 128 with Knight Lore, Gunfright and Tetris for it. And I barely know how to use it :lol: so I decided to register on here to learn more about it.
Plus, if things go the way I want them to go, I may get my hands on a Soviet made copy of one of the Spectrum computers (don't remember this one) from my father-in-law, should he find it in the attic.

See you soon on the forums!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]Foxbat_25[/mention]

Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck. If you do manage to find that Russian clone, photos would be appreciated
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Foxbat_25 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:45 pm I recently got my hands on a Spectrum 128 with Knight Lore, Gunfright and Tetris for it. And I barely know how to use it
I hate you already. :lol:

Just kidding, of course. Welcome to Spectrum Computing!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Foxbat_25
Drutt

Post by Foxbat_25 »

Thanks for the fast welcome! I'll make sure to take pictures of that clone under every possible angle if I do see it someday!
rdhcook
Drutt

Post by rdhcook »

Hi, I'm Richard and my first computer was a 48K+. I love reading about and playing spectrum games, these days I only play on an emulator. Sometime I would like to buy a real spectrum, but living in the USA makes using a real one a little more tricky.

Big shout out to Fusion Retro Books/Magazines and The Spectrum Show. Great content! :D

Thanks

Rich
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Welcome, [mention]rdhcook[/mention] !

I'm sure thanks to this forum you'll find the way to get a real Spectrum.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yep welcome [mention]rdhcook[/mention] !

If you're still looking for a real speccy I can sell you this beautiful 48k mod for, say, £1000 :?

As they say on eBay: It's untested but it should work.
rdhcook
Drutt

Post by rdhcook »

lol, nice but I'll pass on that one. :D
Patxi
Drutt

Post by Patxi »

Hi to the community from Portugal.

My name's Francisco, and I have recently acquired my first Speccies, an issue 2 M332 with plastic keyboard, assembled by Timex Portugal, and an issue 6B.

Both have gotten new keyboard membranes, but the 6B is behaving erratically. So I hope I can get some more knowledge.

Cheers!
Patxi
Drutt

Post by Patxi »

Sorry, not a 6B, but 6A :D

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Patxi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 pm Sorry, not a 6B, but 6A :D

Love the look of both of those.
Avrovulcan
Drutt

Post by Avrovulcan »

Hi everyone,

I'm Andy and I live in Durham.
I've spent the last 32 years as a electronics engineer, 22 of those years were spent in the Royal Navy.
I've got back into retro computers after losing interest in my previous hobby of model railways.

I have about 25 computers in my collection now including the first two computers I ever owned as a lad. A ZX81 and ZX Spectrum +. Both of which still work 32 years after being put away for the last time. For some reason (which I forget) the ZX81, and its Memotec RAM and Keyboard expansion are missing ther cases. In my collection I have a working QL, 48K and 16K rubber keyboard Spectrum's, another ZX81 (in a case this time :lol:) and a ZX80 which I got off Ebay for £45 in non working condition. Which at present is being restored.

Anyway looking forward to taking part in the discussions.

Kind regards
Andy
jumperror
Drutt

Post by jumperror »

Hi! My name is Pedro Pimenta, but I am known on forums as Jumperror and also in my music.
So, I'm 27 years old, so I never had any contact with a Spectrum when I was young. I've always liked older machines, so as the Spectrum was very popular in Portugal in the 80's I started to hear some older people talk about it and one day by chance I found a +2 at a fleamarket and bought it.
This was 5 years ago (I think), since then I've gotten to know a lot of people and really got in the Spectrum community.

I've heard then about a blog called Planeta Sinclair that only existed for a year, I think, when I saw it for the first time.
I've joined the team and helped design the logo, then two other friends from the community joined. I started writing about games, did some historical articles and also we started to do some preservation of M.I.A. software, also books and magazines. With this project I found more friends and we ended up creating Espectro Magazine (a ZX Spectrum magazine in portuguese that comes out in Portugal and Brasil) and I joined the Jogos80 team (brazilian retrogaming magazine).

Last year I was challenged by a friend to start making music for the Spectrum, as I had been doing music for some years, so it was a way to join two of the things I love more. Since then, I've worked on about 15 games. Now I'm part of Espectro Team, Team Moritz and have worked also with Ariel Endaraues, Jaime Grilo and lately Lee Stevenson.
I really love to be a part of these teams and help build great games, I never would have imagined a few years ago I'd be doing music for games, much less for a retro platform like the Spectrum!

Started working with the 48k Beeper, then with the 128k and it's AY Chip and more recently I've done some music for a ZX81 (with AY Interface) game - Em Busca dos Tesouros - a brazilian game from 1986, soon to be re-released by Bitnamic.
If you're curious, here is a small sample of what I've been doing (in chronological order):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2cZk4UFKw

If anyone's curious, I have a 48K in box (needs new memories), a +2, another 48k with some improvements (new case and keyboard with microswitches) and a Harlequin 128k. These last two were donated to me by my great friend Sebastian Braunert, for whom I've made music for loads of games, including Moritz on the Moon, Moritz Strikes Back, Mike the Guitar Shooter, Moritz on the Autobahn, Cheesy Chase and many many others soon to be released.

It's great to get to know all of you, I hope to meet new people while I'm here, help update the database and maybe even join a new project as I've seen this forum is quite active.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hi [mention]jumperror[/mention],

Welcome to SC!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Hello! I had a ZX81 and then a +2 back in the day, and got back on the BASIC horse this year.

I typed in the Usborne "Write Your Own Fantasy Adventures For Your Microcomputer" programs. I wanted to add them to the World of Spectrum website but I didn't realise it was... not updated. Would it be useful here?

I have a silly YouTube channel but the games I've typed in I'd be happy to supply here if I knew how! I did all the games from Virgin Games "Adventures for your ZX Spectrum" and some others that might be missing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmKA-M ... rhPBsWzJg/

I just like typing in games!

I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

WhatHoSnorkers wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 pm Hello!
What ho!
I'd be happy to supply here if I knew how!
Yep we can add them to the archive. I've sent you an email.

For starters they can be added as a zipped bundle to the book IDs, here and here. Whether each type-in should get invidual IDs would have to be decided.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

hi, long time on wos & zx-pk, but right now this forum seems more lively
barry
Drutt

Post by barry »

Hi, decided a few days ago to finally try to teach myself BASIC on a 48k speccy. I refuse to use the 128k and plus versions, it has to be 48k for those sentimental vibes!
Been trying a few emulators and making a few bleeps and whatnot. Considered buying a speccy but instead just ordered some zx key stickers to stick on my pc keyboard, hopefully that works.
So yeah that's that!, happy new year!