Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Introduce yourself!

Post by R-Tape »

I'll start.

Hello from NW UK!

I started out on my brother's 48k, learned a bit of BASIC and spent many daylight hours with the curtains closed playing Speccy games, of which Manic Miner has to be the best ever (maybe that's an argument for elsewhere!). Although fond of the Speccy I started yearning for games that actually looked like the inlay screenshots, I wanted coloured pixels and more of them, so snapped up an Amiga500 Batman pack and didn't look back for a few years. Following that, not counting getting thrashed on PS Tekken2 a few times, there was a whopping 20 year computer gaming lacuna.

Then, one Christmas, I saw MicroMen on the telly and it planted the thought. I did a bit of research, was surprised to see how lively the scene was, learned about emulators, how to program machine code and that brings me here - a fully fledged Spectrum addict.

These days I have a decent collection of (deteriorating) hardware and tapes, but no knowledge of how to fix them. I most enjoy playing and making modern games for the Spectrum, which you can browse and play here.

I'm also a mod on this forum. Don't laugh.

Keep the attribute flashing!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by PeterJ »

Greetings from deepest Surrey

My Sinclair baptism started when my late father ordered a ZX81 in kit form, and we built it together in the kitchen (much to my mums annoyance!). We often built things together and I still remember us making a crystal set, and finding the only place we could get a good earth was via the radiator pipe in the downstairs toilet.

About a year after investing in a £49.99 16K RAM Pack, I eventually got a 48K Spectrum and my life was transformed. My magazine of choice was Your Computer, and I used to eagerly type in the listings, which would never work until two months later when the magazine published corrections.

After toying with an Oric 1, and various other disasters I got into the Amiga scene. After that I moved onto PCs and forgot about Retro until the late 1990s.

Over the years I've amassed quite a collection which now includes all the UK released SInclair models and official accessories from the ZX81 onward, as well as a ZX-Uno, and two Sony MSX HitBits.

After more attempts than I remember, I'm finally very slowly getting to grips with Machine Code. I'm currently building a very simple breakout clone. I would like to learn Z88dk if anyone knows of any good tutorials.

I'm also part of the small team responsible for the Spectrum Computing Website, and a part time admin on the forums.

When I'm not using computers, you will find me in the garden.
tobobobo
Drutt

Post by tobobobo »

I still do my homework on mine.

;)

Hello from London, btw.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

tobobobo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm I still do my homework on mine.

;)
Wow, give us a few more details!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Hello, I live in Oxfordshire and I like Spectrums and stuff.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spud wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm Hello, I live in Oxfordshire and I like Spectrums and stuff.
Who the hell is this guy? :-p

You forgot to mention your games!

Speaking of which, Spiker's not in the archive yet.

(I neglected the author search, which includes a load of CGC entries)
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Shush, we try to forget those games!

How do we rectify the lack of Spiker in the archive?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi. Just post a link to where the game is stored and we can ask for it to be added to ZXDB (which is the database which drives Spectrum Computing)
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

OK let's get this in here quicksticks so the the thread can regain it's course.

Spiker: Basic Training
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Greetings from the frozen North. Been a part of the ZX community for.... probably too long! Hoping that this site can be a much-needed fresh start.
TheZXSpectrum
Drutt

Post by TheZXSpectrum »

Hello everyone, You should know me by now my real name is Preston and I am the creator of Spectrum 4Ever.
I now run a page on Facebook called The ZX Spectrum.

I was going to create a new forum for the Speccy but you beat me to it lol :P

It all looks good though so keep it going
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Hello, all.
Gonad the Barbarian
Drutt

Post by Gonad the Barbarian »

Hello, this looks great. What was particularly impressive was I searched for one of my crap game competition titles and it came up!

I've been making crap BASIC games since 1983, and now do it for a living. Except it's not BASIC now it's SQL.

Less call for user defined graphics and graph paper but apart from that pretty much the same.

GtB
KenD
Drutt

Post by KenD »

Morning all, another refugee from "the other place" :)

All about me: Spectrum owner since the age of 10, mainly games but I ended up with a lot of C15's full of my own half-finished BASIC games featuring terrible UDGs. I then went onto the Sam Coupé, for about 5 minutes, before trading that in for an Amiga. Those with long memories and any involvement in the Amiga "scene" may remember a diskmag called Grapevine :)

More recently, I've stimulated my nostalgia gland by collecting and OCR'ing old mags, and putting them online at RetroPDFs (retropdfs.wordpress.com). With rose-tinted glasses firmly on and 20/20 hindsight, it was the magazines of the Spectrum and Amiga era that made it so special.

I still have a deep love for the Spectrum, which is why I'm so disappointed that certain people are behaving as they are. In the real world, I'm a software developer, who spends a lot of time working with relational databases: ZXDB is a thing of beauty, it "solves the problem", and for ... certain people ... to be so belligerent about it makes me cross.
Lorfarius
Drutt

Post by Lorfarius »

Hullo!

Big Speccy fan after owning a +2 back in the mid 80's. Been in and out of the Speccy collecting scene for sometime, the Next has recently caught my attention and after backing it I'm back on board!

Currently I run a weekly Amiga podcast AMIGArama https://amigarama.podbean.com/. But there's always room for more Spectrum in my life :lol:
UK's number one Amiga podcast:

https://www.AMIGArama.com
Digital Prawn
Drutt

Post by Digital Prawn »

Hello Everyone,

Just popping in to say hello. :D

I used to dabble with speccy programming and stuff like that, as some of you have previously collaborated with me will know.

Nice forum and a huge thank you to all people nowadays working on anything speccy related be it game dev projects or online sites and resources like Spectrum Computing and ZXDB.

Sadly, real life obligations nowadays mean I lack the time to actively participate in the speccy community for the forseeable future. :oops:

However, I am hoping to do a bit of lurking from the workplace in order to keep abreast of speccy-related developments. So I do like to sign up to and casually browse all active speccy forums. 8-)

Best wishes!
DP
Last edited by Digital Prawn on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi guys, Ralf here. Many of you probably know me from World of Spectrum.

If you don't know me than well, I'm from Poland, in early 40s, I love Spectrum and still write games for it, although unfortunately recently I'm less active with it than in previous years.

I hope this will be a nice, friendly place where we can just have fun, be productive and stay away from everything bad that happened in our community recently.
ramsrc
Drutt

Post by ramsrc »

Hello Everyone,

I am a long term Spectrum fan - originally from the UK, but now in Germany. I own three Spectrums, a Harlequin, a Spectrum plus and my pride and joy - my original 48k which I got for Christmas in 1983.

I have also written an emulator, and am part of the way through writing a Z80 core in Forth. :?

To be honest, I haven't been all that active lately. The problems "over there" have rather put me off. :cry:
A hollow voice says "Plugh"
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Hello... I'm Scott -- just a middle-aged chap, like many others here I'd guess. I've been a ZX Spectrum fan since its very earliest days, and have never lost interest in the platform.

I'm hoping this forum might shape up to be something better than has been seen elsewhere of late. At least, I'm sure it can't be any worse. ;)
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
emook
Drutt

Post by emook »

Hello

I am David Saphier and I'm addicted to Spectrum coding.

I have been told it's terminal and I will never recover.

:)
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

Hello,

I like to drink alcohol and watch football.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just to say hello, guys. :)

...and ofc, nice to see you Woody. ;)
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

Woodster wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm Hello,

I like to drink alcohol and watch football.
I like to watch alcohol and drink football, and murder everything in sight...
So far, so meh :)
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Hallo!
Inactive account
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Hi there.

I'm Pete, from the heydays of comp.sys.sinclair and I also have posted occasionally on that other Spectrum forum.

Currently in the process of setting up a YouTube channel that looks back on old games, not that such a thing has never been done before... But what I'm trying to do is craft a blend of review, education and comedy. (No, it's not going to be another Angry Video Game Nerd clone.)

The Spectrum will be fairly prolific during it, that's the computer I've spent most time with, but will be looking at other formats as well. This has meant downloading *whisper it* emulators for other machines and getting to grips with their loading systems.

Anyway, when the time comes, I'll be shouting all about the channel, once there's actual content on it.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!