Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by R-Tape »

WhatHoSnorkers wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:59 pm I do find it strange. Even back in the day when I had a +2 I rarely used 128K mode to type things in. Looking at it now, I think having the cursor in amongst all the lines just feels weird.
That's how I feel. Why would one choose to type RANDOMIZE when you can just press "T"?! It's win-win because you don't have to degrade yourself by wilfully spelling RANDOMISE with a "Z".

Mind you, I'm pretty rusty. I've been using BASIC again for my CGC entry and got through about 10 possibilities before I found "AT".
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I now have a ZX Spectrum 48k mug... but also this website was really useful:

http://slady.net/Sinclair-ZX-Spectrum-keyboard/layout/

It's even got an alphabetised list. I now understand WHY they had keywords (to save memory). At the time I thought it was just to save typing :)
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
vanpeebles
Microbot

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello!!
Sinclair QL Forum: https://www.qlforum.co.uk/
Tatung Einstein Forum: https://www.robheaton.co.uk/tatung/
My Youtube Gaming Channel Acorn 32-bit, X68000 & QL: https://www.youtube.com/user/peetvanpeebles
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

vanpeebles wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:34 pmHello!!
Hello! :)
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm
vanpeebles wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:34 pmHello!!
Hello! :)
Hallo!!!
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:01 pm Mind you, I'm pretty rusty. I've been using BASIC again for my CGC entry and got through about 10 possibilities before I found "AT".
I programmed 95% of Artillery with a Recreated ZX Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard specifically for ease of keyword input before I discovered that on Fuse for Mac you can simply hit cmd-K for a handy display of the ZX keyboard template for those occasions you forget a placement. Still, I scored some authenticity points.
azimov
Drutt

Post by azimov »

Hi! I'm azimov from Spain (sorry for my english), I love the Sinclair Basic and that's what I do, since later 80's, but it was in 2019 when I released various new games (some AGD testing too) and made it public thanks to the social networks created around our loved Zx Spectrum. Some of them you can find in my itch.io.

https://azimov.itch.io/

Actually I'm on Bytemaniacos Basic contest, and one of my games appears in the 2019 Woot magazine (The Day Before The Day The Earth Stood Still).
Thanks to all community I hope to continue learning programming and enjoying this wonderful machine.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome to SC, [mention]azimov[/mention]!

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

azimov wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 am Hi! I'm azimov from Spain (sorry for my english), I love the Sinclair Basic and that's what I do, since later 80's, but it was in 2019 when I released various new games (some AGD testing too) and made it public thanks to the social networks created around our loved Zx Spectrum. Some of them you can find in my itch.io.
Nice to see you here!
...and one of my games appears in the 2019 Woot magazine (The Day Before The Day The Earth Stood Still).
I think I completed this. There is no congratulations screen is there, just the same screen that you can't leave?
azimov
Drutt

Post by azimov »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 am
azimov wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 am Hi! I'm azimov from Spain (sorry for my english), I love the Sinclair Basic and that's what I do, since later 80's, but it was in 2019 when I released various new games (some AGD testing too) and made it public thanks to the social networks created around our loved Zx Spectrum. Some of them you can find in my itch.io.
Nice to see you here!
...and one of my games appears in the 2019 Woot magazine (The Day Before The Day The Earth Stood Still).
I think I completed this. There is no congratulations screen is there, just the same screen that you can't leave?
Yes, just a screen that connects the end of the game with the start of the movie, I just try to put no text in the whole game except the keys to move. You can see credits if go up to the sky in the screen where you have to land. Thanks R-Tape!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Hi folks,

I grew up with ZX Spectrum behind the Iron Curtain back in the Eighties. Well, what I actually owned - after many years of begging & scraping funds - was a Timex 2048, but it was all about Sinclair Spirit of course.

Then I moved on to other machines and when emulation kicked in I actually avoided the ZX because nostalgia was too strong...I didn't think I could handle that emotional load :) Only came back to this a few years ago and now I even have a real one - finally a *real* Spectrum, ha! - sitting on the desk next to me.

I'm a gamer at heart, first and foremost, and love playing and researching the old titles, especially the really obscure ones. There aren't many places to discuss this hobby these days outside social media (which I don't use), and this site looks reasonably sane ;) so I thought I'll join in...
MarcusJ
Drutt

Post by MarcusJ »

Hi All

I'm an 8-bit computer collector... which began when my ZX81 arrived at the age of 12ish... and then a steady stream of spectrums Atoms and Beebs crowned with an Amiga500 before ending up with PCs for work and gaming...

PC gaming is great but it doesn't quite have the 'press play' and go make your tea depth to it :D

Marcus
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome Akeley and Marcus!
MarcusJ wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:24 pm PC gaming is great but it doesn't quite have the 'press play' and go make your tea depth to it :D
For the average Speccy game, at best I'd be able to make toast or a pot noodle—and that would be legging it!
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

With my PS3, if I have a new game to play at lunchtime, there's usually enough time to put it in, go to the shops, buy a pizza, come back, heat the oven, cook pizza and eat it before I get to play... what with the system update, restart, game update, install and then the unskippable menus :)
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Yes it's amazing how we went from long loading times with the spectrum to zero loading times with cartridge based consoles and now we've got mega loading times!
Robel67
Drutt

Post by Robel67 »

Hi all,

Just got my first 48k spectrum. Had a zx80 back in the day, then an 81, cudnt afford the spectrum, finally got one :).

Goin to mainly rediscover the games I played at my mates house on his spectrum - Timegate- Arcadia - espionage island and the hobbit.

Got to find myself a cassette player first tho.
DarwinNE
Drutt

Post by DarwinNE »

Hello from France!

I first saw a rubber key ZX Spectrum back in 1980 and something visiting a friend. I was intrigued!
I got my first Spectrum 48K a few years ago and sometimes I like writing software for it in my spare time.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome fellas!
Robel67 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm Had a zx80 back in the day, then an 81, cudnt afford the spectrum
I hope you kept it—the resale price these days would give you enough to buy a SpectrumNext!
Robel67
Drutt

Post by Robel67 »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:02 pm Welcome fellas!
Robel67 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm Had a zx80 back in the day, then an 81, cudnt afford the spectrum
I hope you kept it—the resale price these days would give you enough to buy a SpectrumNext!
Kept the 81, sold the 80 for £10, yep I know :|
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Robel67 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:38 pm Kept the 81, sold the 80 for £10, yep I know :|
Ahhhh bad luck. It's a shame that 81s are as good as worthless these days. Tell you what, I'm feeling generous: I'll give you £9.99 for it. Eh? Eh?
Robel67
Drutt

Post by Robel67 »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:41 pm
Robel67 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:38 pm Kept the 81, sold the 80 for £10, yep I know :|
Ahhhh bad luck. It's a shame that 81s are as good as worthless these days. Tell you what, I'm feeling generous: I'll give you £9.99 for it. Eh? Eh?
Haha, 16k ram pack too, gotta be worth £20, actually think I’ve got the Sinclair printer somewhere too, no doubt equally worthless :D :D
Bolador
Drutt

Post by Bolador »

Hi. I have my original CZ1000, an argentinian rebranded TS1000 and a CZ2000, an Argentinian Spectrum clone with an ISSUE 6A board and a TS1500 like black case.. I have completely refurbished and is working great so far..
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Hi! I'm (not) Troy McClure. You may know me from such RZX Archive entries as Blood & Guts, Quetzalcoatl, and Dominetris.

In reality: I'm Dr. Jim, I'm also known as The Mighty Dopethrone on t'other forum (registered in 2003 when all I was listening to was Electric Wizard), I reached my 40s last summer, and I'm... an occasional Spectrum community visitor, with a habit of disappearing for long periods of time. It's what I do, I come, I go when I have other projects to prioritise. With the world on hold at the moment, I find there's no better way to fill the far too much time I already have than by throwing myself back towards Sinclair projects - with several type-ins completed towards the end of March, and three submissions to this year's CSSCGC which will be publicised in due course. And due to one of those CSSCGC entries in particular, I'm bracing myself for a lengthy involvement in the Spectrum-world this time, so I've registered here as well.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Dopethone! Great to see you here! (and what's the avatar?)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

It's a heavily-edited screenshot from Wibstars, another game you may know my RZXing capabilities for. It seems there were two people on this planet who liked that game: me, and someone who commented on the video on YouTube.

I suppose what I could have done is - and this is not me attempting to curry favour with the site admin here - included a screenshot of one of the between-levels bonus items from Shuttlebug!. A spare +3 drive belt, maybe? No, not that one. Nor would it be the huge amounts of cash, bonus points, nice cup of tea (got plenty of those... for now) or the "Zen Wisdom My Son". It would be...

"WHO WOULD COLLECT TAPS??!!"

Two question marks, two exclamation marks, because it's so incredibly bizarre that anyone would do that.

And yet, that was me, aged about six or seven.

Your question is answered, after eight years.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!