Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by GreenCard »

My name is GreenCard. I haven't really contributed anything useful to the "scene", unlike so many here, I just like to talk about Spectrumy stuff. :)

Only just discovered this site today. Looks very nice indeed! Really nice to see so many familiar faces/usernames/avatars here. :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Hi Greencard, good to see you here! :)
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:20 pm Hi Greencard, good to see you here! :)
Igualmente Juan! :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi Greencard, nice to see another familiar nickname :) Feel yourself at home.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Ralf wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 pm Hi Greencard, nice to see another familiar nickname :) Feel yourself at home.
Thanks Ralf. Nice to see you here too. :)
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Evening Gents

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Thought I joint the forum for jiggery pokery! :shock:
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Re: Evening Gents

Post by Wall_Axe »

Hi!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Evening Gents

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]ANDREWRYALS[/mention]
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Thanks, should be fun hanging around. You guys seem to find more and more new software.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi Andrew Ryals, good to see you here.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Ah, I didn't notice this thread.

"Hello, I am WhenIWasCruel".
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

Hello from Lodi California.

i just parted ways amicably with Atari forum, apparently it's for ST and Falcon, not 400/800.
anyway, i started programming on the zx spectrum through emulation and am planning on getting a +2 from Ebay
i love the colors, ease of use for Basic and feel oddly drawn to the fact that there are no hardware sprites, everything needs to be done yourself.

i love Jetpac (i have Rare Replay), Attic Attac (did i spell that right?) and the Hobbit (of which i hope to someday port to the Atari 800)

i am 24 years old and am an avid gamer. i also love old tech, adore VHS and view Old tv's as futuristic

i was born in good ol 93 but feel more comfortable in the company of fellow Spectrum users, which is why i joined: i simply LOVE the spectrum!

on that topic, are there any scans of ZX computing that i can Copy/paste for the 48k? saves time and work. (i do have school like everyone else, on top of my youtube duties)

on an unrelated note, i love comics, especially villains like Carnage and Venom. I have a hate/love relationship with Superman, Viewing 64 as a turd but as an oddity as well, too many rings, and the multiplayer looks fun. the key is "looks fun" not "is fun" and yes, like so many, i had the misfortune of playing it.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]MrPixel[/mention]

You will find the vast majority of type-ins from ZX Computing here:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27p ... pehome.htm

Also, if on our home page you just type 'ZX Computing' into the search box at the top of the page you will get a big list of titles their too.

You can also download PDF versions of ZX Computing from the [mention]KenD[/mention] RetroPDF site. You just need a Torrent tool like https://www.qbittorrent.org/
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome, [mention]WIWC[/mention] and [mention]MrPixel[/mention]!

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

bless you, thanks for that. i heard about the poisonings in the UK. you guys alright? :?:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ANDREWRYALS wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks, should be fun hanging around. You guys seem to find more and more new software.
Nice to see you Andrew, I think Jonathan is the only person giving you a challenge these days!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

WIWC wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:46 pm Ah, I didn't notice this thread.

"Hello, I am WhenIWasCruel".
Still the best username.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Welcome! These are a few suggestions. Hope you enjoy your stay. With the Atari you are going to find a lot of 'grass greener on the other side' issues. Understand your frustration with the lack of 400/800 love though.
MrPixel wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm am planning on getting a +2 from Ebay
You should consider joining the +3 master race :lol:
i love the colors, ease of use for Basic and feel oddly drawn to the fact that there are no hardware sprites,

Seems like you are suffering from stockholm syndrome :lol: Especially coming from Atari its going to be very frustrating. But still if you like a challenge then have at it.
the Hobbit (of which i hope to someday port to the Atari 800)
That would be a monumental project - you can see for yourself some of the issues/chalanges you would face in trying to port the hobbit to the Atari by looking at the spectrum dissasembly. It has a clever structure that makes it very difficult to do stuff like fan translations (because of tokens).. Its more like a database in design (because the lady that was on the team was an expert in database design..)

But have at it if you want to climb that mountain. There is a reason some of these games are unported. :lol:

You could probably do a good port of neuromancer for the spectrum with a lot less heart ache.

That said if you did have a serious crack at porting the hobbit you would be in a good place to learn a lot about early database design on microcomputers.
i am 24 years old and am an avid gamer. i also love old tech, adore VHS and view Old tv's as futuristic
You should read some of the cyberpunk books - I think you will enjoy them if you have not already. The Sprawl trilogy is one of my fav. But edgy hipsters are more into snowcrash.

For more reading suggestions, if you are into comics why not have a crack at 2000AD? Hmmm Miracleman is another awesome read if you can get it. I think its better than watchman.

Then there is the cool Japanese stuff like Akira comics, I love the movie but the comics are where its at.

Just a suggestion... I would watch the bold ones first..
Spoiler
Apple seed, Tokyo Babylon, Legend of the Overfiend, Devil Man, Akira, The Guyver, Legend of the Four Kings, Battle Angel Alita, Cyber City Oedo 808, AD Police, Patlabor, Rougin Z, Ninja scroll, Genocyber.Demon City, Monster City,Fist of the North Star
If after watching those you don't get some sort of bizarre inspiration for a game I am not sure what will :lol:
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 pm
ANDREWRYALS wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks, should be fun hanging around. You guys seem to find more and more new software.
Nice to see you Andrew, I think Jonathan is the only person giving you a challenge these days!
Yep, I had to produce a second batch of pokes for his latest!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Welcome Mr Pixel. Good to see a young blood here. Good to know that not only us, 40 years old geezers care for these old machines ;)

You may still share your interests between Spectrum and Atari. As I understand you were interested in 8 bit Atari. Did you learn already that it had a second life in Poland after it's commercial death in the west? There are actually active Atari 8-bit Polish websites and communities, you may check for example for http://atarionline.pl Click "translate" in top left corner and choose English.

But I'm not going to distract you too much from Spectrum ;) I understand that you are more a programmer than let's say hardware guy. So ask questions and we'll be waiting to see some game of yours soon :)
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

Nomad wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:24 am Welcome! These are a few suggestions. Hope you enjoy your stay. With the Atari you are going to find a lot of 'grass greener on the other side' issues. Understand your frustration with the lack of 400/800 love though.
MrPixel wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm am planning on getting a +2 from Ebay
You should consider joining the +3 master race :lol:
i love the colors, ease of use for Basic and feel oddly drawn to the fact that there are no hardware sprites,

Seems like you are suffering from stockholm syndrome :lol: Especially coming from Atari its going to be very frustrating. But still if you like a challenge then have at it.
the Hobbit (of which i hope to someday port to the Atari 800)
That would be a monumental project - you can see for yourself some of the issues/chalanges you would face in trying to port the hobbit to the Atari by looking at the spectrum dissasembly. It has a clever structure that makes it very difficult to do stuff like fan translations (because of tokens).. Its more like a database in design (because the lady that was on the team was an expert in database design..)

But have at it if you want to climb that mountain. There is a reason some of these games are unported. :lol:

You could probably do a good port of neuromancer for the spectrum with a lot less heart ache.

That said if you did have a serious crack at porting the hobbit you would be in a good place to learn a lot about early database design on microcomputers.
You should read some of the cyberpunk books - I think you will enjoy them if you have not already. The Sprawl trilogy is one of my fav. But edgy hipsters are more into snowcrash.

For more reading suggestions, if you are into comics why not have a crack at 2000AD? Hmmm Miracleman is another awesome read if you can get it. I think its better than watchman.

Then there is the cool Japanese stuff like Akira comics, I love the movie but the comics are where its at.

Just a suggestion... I would watch the bold ones first..
Spoiler
Apple seed, Tokyo Babylon, Legend of the Overfiend, Devil Man, Akira, The Guyver, Legend of the Four Kings, Battle Angel Alita, Cyber City Oedo 808, AD Police, Patlabor, Rougin Z, Ninja scroll, Genocyber.Demon City, Monster City,Fist of the North Star
If after watching those you don't get some sort of bizarre inspiration for a game I am not sure what will :lol:
i'll keep this in mind, thanks a lot. speaking of which, does the 128 version of the hobbit fix the slow level loading? the screen takes a long time to draw :?: and i just finished Seperation Anxiety for Genesis, good ideas, bad game. it's on my youtube page. shall i give the link?
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 pm Welcome @MrPixel

You will find the vast majority of type-ins from ZX Computing here:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27p ... pehome.htm

Also, if on our home page you just type 'ZX Computing' into the search box at the top of the page you will get a big list of titles their too.

You can also download PDF versions of ZX Computing from the @KenD RetroPDF site. You just need a Torrent tool like https://www.qbittorrent.org/
i looked, most are greyed out.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]MrPixel[/mention]

Are you referring to the RetroPDF site? They are all available:

https://retropdfs.wordpress.com/current ... llections/

and around 60% of the ZX Computing listings are available:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27p ... _names.htm

Is there a listing that you specifically want from ZX Computing?

Peter
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

a zx spectrum port of monster maze maybe? one that uses all available colors
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

There is nothing in the archive like this. The closet is a version of 3D Monster Maze that runs on the Spectrum.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=30402

You mentioned that you wanted a listing from ZX Computing. Which one do you need?