Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]mr.spiv[/mention]
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

mr.spiv wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:37 pm Hello and greetings from .fi.. Started with Speccy in mid -80s and now after many years of being lost in other platforms the circle is closing and back on Speccy. Today I still have +2A, +3 and few FPGA ones. I do occasional crappy coding on Z80 when I need a break from daily working life 8-)
Moi Mr.!

Mita kuuluu? :) Welcome here, it is good to have people from Finland here, my kids are half finnish :)
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

Here goes
Hello from North Wales near to the supposedly sunny Rhyl anyone from my neck of the woods remembers the local computer shop Joe Micro? long gone

I never had a Spectrum growing up and sorry to say I never gave the machine a chance, this was my loss. By the time I even heard about ZX Spectrum I was using a Commodore 64 and with it came a lot of unnecessary childish snobbery which I would later experience myself having owned the ATARI ST sadly this continues with the AMIGA.

But in hindsight what made all these machines great for me was they were the equivalent to a good book or listening to a radio station, they made you think about what you were trying to do, from getting it to print or playing a game. No drag and drop no fancy film footage within a game, just your own imagination that produced the backdrop this being intensified by the likes of Zapp and for the spectrum user its relative Crash.

School holidays and staying up into the early hours with my parents completing bubble bobble and wizzball in shifts. Happy times that I doubt will be relived on any XBOX or PlayStation.

Anyway I want to try and experience not just the ZX spectrum machine but also the community. I hope that I can one day have a special place in my heart for the spectrum that I hold for the C64 and ST.

Jon ;)
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

zack4mac wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:17 pm Here goes
Hello from North Wales near to the supposedly sunny Rhyl anyone from my neck of the woods remembers the local computer shop Joe Micro? long gone
S'mae, Jon. :) Did you know the history behind Jo-Micro? https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... fe-2845843

Also, I believe one of the Jo-Micro staff set up Broadsword Computers in the town too.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

Hello I never met the man himself and had no idea about his interests, fascinating. I can vaguely remember a bloke named Chris who originated from London, was running it not long before it closed. I cant remember the year but it was when the Atari Falcon, A1200 and Amstrad GX4000 came out, in fairness the independent computer shop could not compete with the like of Dixons and Currys who cut deals with manufacturers direct. I take it you know the locality?

Jon
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

zack4mac wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:09 pm I take it you know the locality?
I'm based in Hawarden, so yeah, I know Rhyl fairly well. Not somewhere I used to go for computer stuff, though.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
zack4mac
Drutt

Post by zack4mac »

I also tend not to shop in Rhyl, like most places not like it used to be!
Nice talking with you mate ;-)
iadvd
Dizzy

Greetings from a newbie

Post by iadvd »

Dear all, I just joined today, another Speccy-a-holic guy! :lol:
Recently I started to make some simple games for fun.
A pleasure to meet you!!
:)

***Topic merged by PeterJ***
Furillo Productions' games can be downloaded here:
https://furilloproductions.itch.io/
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Greetings from a newbie

Post by druellan »

Hi there! Welcome!
You're the author of Rade Blunner right?

Edit: just saw your reply on the New Games thread ;)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi Iadvd! Feel yourself at home and visit often :)
mikecad
Drutt

Post by mikecad »

Hi there!

I was looking for somewhere relaxed, away from Facebook groups to continue the eternal discussion of all things ZX Spectrum. I sort of accepted the Kings Shilling almost two years ago to help create a new ZX Spectrum computer and ever since then, life has been a bit crazy. I have not had time for any of my retro passions. Atari, Acorn, and the main one, Sinclair. Hoping to have some interesting discussions and to learn and maybe impart some knowledge too!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi and welcome, Mikecad!

My opinion is that Facebook groups don't compare to good, old forum. Yes, it's easy to browse on phones and to post images, and if you are an admin to maintain it. But it's a wall of text, constantly scrolling, with 10% of valuable content instantly getting buried under 90% of low quality babble. And it's also everything mixed with everything so even if you are interested only in gaming, you end reading about soldering and capacitors.

So if you want some good discussion, definitely go to a forum. This forum ;)
alban lusitanae
Drutt

Hello World (of SC)

Post by alban lusitanae »

Hi to all, greetings from sunny Portugal

Decided to join this forum as I believe this is the best we have with new stuff, other forums are slowly dying out.

Hope to learn with everyone here and maybe I can actually help with something :)

Best regards and see you all around
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Hello World (of SC)

Post by Alessandro »

alban lusitanae wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm Hi to all, greetings from sunny Portugal

Decided to join this forum as I believe this is the best we have with new stuff, other forums are slowly dying out.

Hope to learn with everyone here and maybe I can actually help with something :)

Best regards and see you all around
Olá Alban, nice to see you around here! Bem-vindo! :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

It's always great to see an old WoS friend joining SC! Welcome!
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

mikecad wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am Hi there!
Hi Mike, good to see you here.

As a backer, I left the Facebook forum because I don't use FB, and using my other half's FB account got her quite a bit of attention, including several personal and unsolicited requests of one-to-one tuition on the finer points of her assembler. :shock:

Still look forward to having the 'big day' revealed here first, right? :lol:
Pix Retro
Drutt

Post by Pix Retro »

Hi peeps!

trying to move away from facebook as a way to get help for may speccy stuff and found this today! seems good so far! :D

soo... I've a load of speccy stuff.. .probs not more that some on here but still.. :D

I'm super into chiptunes and want to use my speccys and other retro hardware to make noise.. . when i managed to get them all sorted! :D

I have hardware wise :

Sinclair zx81 (still need to comp mod it to see if it works!)
A 48k that was in a + case and now in a spare rubber key case for now... i think it's a 6a
2x grey +2's (an issue 1 and issue 3)

unfinished projects include a revg harlequin, 2 zxmax48's, a reverse u16, and probably other stuff

I also have a ZX Evolution which i'm planning on rebuilding some harware periferals to use the zx bus interface... which could be interesting! :D

I have boxes and boxes of games which i dont really use as I have a divmmc which is just easier.. . plus i need to get rid of some stuff as i have a tiny room for everything :D

and i'm a fan of joysticks too... so there will probably be talk on refubing some of them at some point... :D

I'll probably have tons of questions for people over the next however long... mainly really dumb stuff lol any how...

feel free to say hi!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Welcome aboard, [mention]Pix Retro[/mention] !
Pix Retro
Drutt

Post by Pix Retro »

Thanks!... forgot to add i've an omni too! :D speccy on the go!
Glenn
Drutt

Post by Glenn »

Hi folks! Not sure why I didn’t register here before, but here I am! Spent a lot of time on WOS back in the day but lost interest. I didn’t lose interest in Spectrums though. 😁
Looking forward to spending some time reading and posting on the forums!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Glenn wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 pm Hi folks! Not sure why I didn’t register here before, but here I am! Spent a lot of time on WOS back in the day but lost interest. I didn’t lose interest in Spectrums though. 😁
Looking forward to spending some time reading and posting on the forums!
Welcome aboard, Glenn! Nice to see you here. :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi, Glenn. Don't be shy to post often here :)
Wolfgang
Drutt

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi,
since I already used post #1 for a help request, I want to make sure that #2 is about saying hello to everybody.
I am 53 years old and German. My first computer was a 16K Spectrum which set me down a non mainstream path here in Germany where everybody had a VIC20 or C64. There was pretty much no way to buy software here and I had to mail order everything from the UK. To do this, I had to buy a postal order (check) and send it by mail to the seller. It took several weeks, sometimes months before I got my cassette with "new" software. :shock:
Anyway, later I got myself an Electron - an even more unknown computer here in Germany. When I went to uni to study computer science, I bought an Atari Mega ST which was my main computer for a long time. The Archimedes was way too expensive for me.
Now, I develop software on IBM mainframe computers and play in my free time with all the nice machines I could never afford back when. Lately, I started repairing a couple of ZX81s and Speccies which let me here. :)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome to Spectrum Computing, [mention]Wolfgang[/mention]!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.