Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
bigjon
Berk

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by bigjon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 pm
This is the official welcome to @bigjon, and also—bloody well check your PMs lad!

I want to get my hands on your 30 minute machine code tutorial :)
Howdy folks, I'm just an occasional dabbler in Speccy-related nostalgia at the moment. The 30-minute machine code tutorial I wrote 10 years ago is still available, kindly hosted by Arjun at https://chuntey.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 ... 0-minutes/
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Welcome @DouglasReynholm. IT crowd homage? (Edit—of course it is, just realised you're called Richard)
DouglasReynholm wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm
Right, back to my spot in the shadows..
Don't feel you have to!
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi @bigjon, I just want to say thanks for your great tutorial! It really helped me when I first started learning machine code. But one thing in it confused me for years - when you say that EI is used to enable the keyboard and DI to disable it. That had me believing that interrupts and the keyboard were somehow linked and you couldn't do an IN without first turning interrupts on! Actually interrupts have nothing to do with the keyboard and only affect the ROM keyboard routine. But it's a nice tutorial for beginners and I still thought it was helpful ;)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 pm

djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm
Hi @bigjon, I just want to say thanks for your great tutorial! It really helped me when I first started learning machine code.
I'll second that. The code was way over my head, but it introduced me to using an assembler, and gave me the confidence to have a bash. It was a great 'way in' to Jonathan's book

Thanks Jon (and Jon!)
0 x

UltraNarwhal
Berk

Post by UltraNarwhal » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello I'm UltraNarwhal, an indie dev for PC (Windows/Linux).
I'm also creating smaller games for older systems, now that there are easy to use tools available (AGD/NESmaker/RedPill).
My first release for PC is Project Hornwhale, out Q2 2019 (after several years working on it)

Currently released Speccy games being Blimpgeddon, OctuKitty and PTM.

I grew up with a 48K Speccy and after many attempts to upgrade to 128K models and getting failing systems, made the bigger upgrade to a Commodore 64 :shock: Had lots of fun on the C64 and bought many games in the few years I had it before moving on to 16bit Mega Drive and Amiga.

While looking for a game engine to make C64 games (not SEUCK) I discovered AGD.
0 x

Fabrizio Caruso
Berk

Fabrizio Caruso

Post by Fabrizio Caruso » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi everyone!
I am a retro-enthusiast, collector and retro-coder.
I like coding massively multi-target games.

I am the developer of Cross Chase (a universal 8-bit game for all 8-bit platforms coded in C and compiled with tons of different compilers):
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-CHASE
CROSS CHASE can be run on the Sinclair ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, QL, Lambda 8300, Jupiter Ace, all Commodore systems, Atari, Apple, MSX, Amstrad, Oric, Thomson, etc. and about 150 more systems without ever modifyng the game code.

I am also developing a 10-liner in lots of different BASIC:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/Mines
including of course Sinclair BASIC
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Welcome @Fabrizio Caruso :D

I remember Cross Chase! It's nice to see you here.

(I merged your thread with the 'Introduce yourself' thread)
0 x

FelisSapien
Berk

Post by FelisSapien » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 am

Hey all!

It took a while but I've reacquired a Speccy! My original introduction was with a 16k model one Christmas. Stayed a Sinclair fan for quite some time... Many, many years (and many systems) pass and I felt the urge to pick something up for the collection. I now have a working +2 (fancied a 128k) and a 'donor'. Both were silly cheap. As it turns out I got the spares machine working with a memory replacement. The datasette is problematic though and my attempts at fixing that haven't been so successful :(

Anyhow, looking forward to some fun rediscovering the system. I also got a box of games and a small stack of magazines with my purchase so plenty to go at. Loading the tapes is a frustrating as I remember. Think I'll be looking for a more modern solution before too long - for convenience ;)
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 am

Hi, @FelisSapien!

Always great to see people (re)acquiring actual hardware. Welcome to Spectrum Computing!
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 am

FelisSapien wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 am
Hey all!

It took a while but I've reacquired a Speccy! My original introduction was with a 16k model one Christmas. Stayed a Sinclair fan for quite some time... Many, many years (and many systems) pass and I felt the urge to pick something up for the collection. I now have a working +2 (fancied a 128k) and a 'donor'. Both were silly cheap. As it turns out I got the spares machine working with a memory replacement. The datasette is problematic though and my attempts at fixing that haven't been so successful :(

Anyhow, looking forward to some fun rediscovering the system. I also got a box of games and a small stack of magazines with my purchase so plenty to go at. Loading the tapes is a frustrating as I remember. Think I'll be looking for a more modern solution before too long - for convenience ;)
Get yourself one of these:

https://www.bytedelight.com/?product=di ... ck-edition

Plugs into the back of the Speccy and allows you run games from an SD Card!!! They're ace!!!!
0 x