Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Hi!

I'm Juan, from Málaga, Spain. I'm a proud Spectrum owner since 1985.

I've been posting on WoS forums from more than 10 years and now also here. Seems another cool place to talk about our beloved little computer.

I love posting about Spectrum games and I think we'll have a great time here!

Sabre Wulf & Knight Lore are my fave Speccy games (Fred my fave spanish one, hence my avatar!)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ADJB wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 am Hi all,

Ex preservation team member from a different era on a different site. Used to run the preservation team shop.

I can be found on farcebook under the moniker of "Ruskin Roader" which I use for my music and photography interests.

Present retro hobby is OCRing all my magazines into searchable database.

Other hobbies include breeding and growing chillies, home brewing and being a live in slave to my cat.

ADJB
Breeding is your hobby?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 am Hi!

I'm Juan, from Málaga, Spain. I'm a proud Spectrum owner since 1985.

I've been posting on WoS forums from more than 10 years and now also here. Seems another cool place to talk about our beloved little computer.

I love posting about Spectrum games and I think we'll have a great time here!

Sabre Wulf & Knight Lore are my fave Speccy games (Fred my fave spanish one, hence my avatar!)
Nice to see you Juan! Don't forget - September the 2nd is International Fred appreciation day. I think there's a calendar I can put this event in here somewhere.
florinthedwarf
Drutt

Post by florinthedwarf »

Hi all.

I'm Paul Davies, often confused with the host of the Retro Asylum podcast! (Sorry, Paul!) But I'm the @florinthedwarf one you may find on Twitter and other sites 😊

Been a Spectrum fan since I first played on one, so since about three years old 😉 Owned other machines, Atari 65XE, Amiga, and a few consoles but Speccy is the one I hold dearest ❤️

Started writing reviews of my favourite Speccy games a few years ago for Retroyak.com and then more recently indieretronews.com. Have also had a few features published on Retrovideogramer.co.uk. I try to do at least one review each month for Indieretronews and would like to do a lot more, but work and kids make this very tricky and spare time is at a premium most of the time! Would love to write full time....we can all dream, right? 😜😉

Working on putting a book together of my reviews, though taking longer than expected (see above, RE: kids etc.) Will get there one day though!

Glad to be here. Looks like the place to be for everyone's Speccy needs 🤘
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

I don't think I need much introduction as I see mostly familiar names all around :)

But here goes anyway: I'm Søren and I'm from Denmark. I'm 50 and got my first Spectrum in spring '83. I drink way too many beers (brew them too) & watch too much TV but somehow still manage to make games. The latest Spectrum one was Vallation & I have a remake of Sqij coming up soon.

Forum-wise I've been pro-Wos for a long time, but these days I'm "tired pro-WoS". I honestly wish there was only one forum (and no Facebook groups) and everyone would get along in the same place, instead of having such a fragmented community ... but sadly things "over there" aren't as friendly anymore (for various reasons - and Facebook is just useless in general), so that's why I've signed up here. I won't be posting much (I don't at Wos either) but there's a chance I'll cross-post when I do. One thing is for sure - I'm coming in with a positive attitude and I wish this forum the best. I also promise to not call anyone a ... Wally. Unless it's their username :D
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Hi! I'm ZXDunny, and I'm fairly certain you all know who I am.
deKay
Drutt

Post by deKay »

ZXDunny wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm Hi! I'm ZXDunny, and I'm fairly certain you all know who I am.
You're definitely not Stonkers.
IgorDimovski
Drutt

Post by IgorDimovski »

Hi!

I'm Igor, from Skopje, Macedonia.
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

Kia Ora!

Hiya, I'm Jim - born and bred from Dorset, now living in the "City Of The Future" - Hamilt[r]on, NZ

Good to see some of the former regulars posting again

Cheers
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

Hello everybody,

I'm utz. I'm addicted to the ZX Spectrum beeper and I like to experiment with new ways of getting sound out of it.
Glad to see so many known names around here. I certainly wouldn't mind this place becoming a new, friendly hub for the ZX scene.
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

Hi all,

I'm Carlos, aka Uto, from Madrid. Got a british 48K Spectrum back in 1984 and got in love with it at first sight :-)

Lately I've been quite involved (as fan) in some FPGA solutions, and I'm also learning Z80 assembler, or actually removing rust from the not very good Z80 assembler I knew back in the day.
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and decided to join in!

I have been a proud Spectrum user since January 1984, wrote a 702-pages book about it, and every now and then produce some games to boot.

Cheers! :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hello all!
Alessandro wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am Hi everyone, I just found this forum and decided to join in!

I have been a proud Spectrum user since January 1984, wrote a 702-pages book about it, and every now and then produce some games to boot.

Cheers! :D
But you're slacking a bit these days aren't you? ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 am But you're slacking a bit these days aren't you? ;)
Slacking? :lol:
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Hey guys. Most of you probably know who I am already :D

If you don't, I run the zxspectrumreviews.co.uk website (god, I wish I'd thought of a better name for that although the ZXSR acronym is useful) and have been around the scene for about 20 years. I wasn't actually aware of a forum on Spectrum Computing until, well, what's currently going on with WoSF and thought I'd join up as Peter's a good guy and him and the other developers deserve some credit for an excellent site.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Err, I'm not at all sure about joining a forum that is full of err, "Berks" (see the Rank on the membership list...)

But anyway... since this has become popular, and as I'm already consuming lots of time when I should be doing other stuff on WoS forums, Sinclair ZX World forums and many other forums, and as I already support SpectrumComputing.co.uk, it seemed only right that I should join the forums here.

My short history:
Discovered computers in the early 1980's when I was young (my goodness, that seems soooo long ago now...). Used the Acorn BBC Model B Micro in secondary school. After a lot of heavy hints, my parents bought my sister and me a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k for Christmas in 1983. Did the "play games to death" thing (well, until the pocket money ran out...).
In I think (or thereabouts) 1984, got a dk'tronics keyboard, as I was NOT impressed with the QL keyboard, or the Spectrum+ keyboard.

Later when I went to collage, the Speccy was sidelined, as I bought myself an Atari STFM. By now the Spectrum had been heavily modified in the power supply area (don't worry, the original ZX PSU now runs some Christmas lights) as the expansions became too power hungry for the Sinclair 1.4A PSU. The Speccy controlled a "rover" for a while.

Then got a PC. Speccy was retired to the loft. Most games had already been sold (some escaped!)

Then while browsing the web, found StarDot forums. So I wondered about the other computers of the 1980's, and then found WoS. Although I did not join at first. Instead falling in love with the ZX81! (for the first time, as back in 1982/1983, the Zeddy was perceived as "last years thing").

Oh, that's a bit long for a short version :lol:

So
10 PRINT "Hello" : GO TO 10

Mark

PS now have multiple rubber keys, multiple Spectrum+ machines, a couple of +2 (grey)'s, +2B, +3, +3B and a non-working toastrack. Plus various ZX81s and other 1980s and 1990s computers...
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hello!
1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm Err, I'm not at all sure about joining a forum that is full of err, "Berks" (see the Rank on the membership list...)
We're after new suggestions for that.

Berk.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Oh go on then, you've twisted my arm.

Especially since I can use my original avatar that I lost when WoS switched to that awful new forum.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm Hello!
1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm Err, I'm not at all sure about joining a forum that is full of err, "Berks" (see the Rank on the membership list...)
We're after new suggestions for that.

Berk.
I did wonder, is it Berk from Trap Door?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spud wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm I did wonder, is it Berk from Trap Door?
Yep that's the one, and blame me for the current ranks, just cobbled together quickly.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Hi, SkoolKid here.

My hobbies include trying to steer any and every conversation, regardless of topic, towards Skool Daze or Back to Skool (or even SkoolKit!), and also lurking.

That's about it, really.

Nice forum you've got here, by the way. :D
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

jmk wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 am
kolbeck wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 pm Hello James...

Think we had some chit-chat back about 10 years ago, when I did the native OS/2 version of x128 (NOT the recompiled X/Window version for OS/2)
You probably don't know - but the OS/2 version actually ended up on a danish magazine cover cd ;)
Hi, Thomas.

Ah, you trigger vague memories in my brain. ;)
Vague memories.. just realized it was 20, and NOT 10 years ago :-)
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I am Ivan, a Spaniard living in Germany for the almost last 8 years! (Ja!)

I bought my first Spectrum, a +2A, in Xmas 1988 and since then I am a Spectrum fanatic. Brought my Speccy to Germany and I fell in love with the Homebrew scene since I came back to the Spectrum in the internet era (2003) although I never got rid of my Spectrum, as I used to play with it in the 90s too ;)
chrrris
Drutt

Post by chrrris »

Testing, testing. One, two. One, two.

Very happy to see a forum appear on this most excellent of Speccy websites. You may or may not know me as "ccowley" from... ummm... another place. I'm not really doing much in the way of speccy stuff at the moment, but I wrote a beeper music thing called beepola and have written some emulators and things in the past. Probably won't be very active on here for now, due to work commitments and other boring stuff, but will be looking in from time to time to see if there's anything I can help with.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Hi all!

I'm Einar Saukas from Brazil. It's nice to see so many familiar faces already!

I have been programming games since I was 12, initially for ZX81 then Spectrum. My Sinclair games are listed here, for other platforms here and here. Some of my popular Spectrum related projects are compressor ZX7/RCS, multicolor engines BIFROST/NIRVANA, reference implementations of FZX and IZX, website zxgraph, and database model ZXDB.

Although Spectrum Computing is one of the websites "powered" by ZXDB (therefore I will be probably answering many questions related to archive and preservation here), notice I'm not administrator or moderator of this forum, just a standard user like everybody else. Therefore I won't be speaking in name of Spectrum Computing, everything I post will be simply my own opinions!