CSSCGC 2020

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: CSSCGC 2020

Post by druellan »

I think I like Explosion, the character blinking got into my nerves within a second of gameplay. Excellent!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great to see another native crap game made BITD. Is this linked to your Spectrum+ shenanigans in the hardware section Juan?
“I take no responsibility for any gambling addiction the game might cause.” – Juan F. Ramírez
Au contraire—I think you've found the panacea for all forms of gambling addiction!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:12 pm Great to see another native crap game made BITD. Is this linked to your Spectrum+ shenanigans in the hardware section Juan?
No, I converted it from tape some years ago. It was summer'86, one year after I got my Spectrum. Tipying up too many Microhobby BASIC lists helped me a lot. Also an article in MH about random numbers and how to generate them. And this was the result. As a teen I was proud of my work!

I've always seen the CSSCGC comp. from the distance, thinking 'too exclusive for me'. But I've always wanted to join that elitist club! :roll:

So it hasn't to do with my Spectrum + resurection. By the way, this week a brand new DivMMC I ordered has arrived, this weekend I'll make the unboxing! A new, little step! :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:52 am As a teen I was proud of my work!
Good to hear I've crushed another inner child! :mrgreen:
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the ZX80, I've posted a new challenge. If you'd like to participate, you have until the 26th of February (28 days to deliver your game, in true Sinclair fashion). Good luck!
All software to-date
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I'm eager to toss my hat into the ring but I am intimidated by trying to come up with an idea inferior to this exceptional prior entry: https://bobs-stuff.itch.io/text-only-grand-prix-2009

Such a concept!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Clarification of the rules

Post by PROSM »

After receiving an entry today which the author was hesitant to send due to rights issues, I feel that it is best for me to clarify my position regarding copyrighted materials.

Just go for it! If the rights holders are really so bothered as to interfere in a games competition for an 80's microcomputer, then they ought to be more worried about their state of mind than loss of earnings! :lol:

To give you a better idea of what's alright to send, none of the past CSSCGC entries would pose a problem in my view.
All software to-date
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offence way possible' mini-competition to start...

As for the text adventure Grand Prix, I've played a board game version of the Monaco Grand Prix that was actually really good fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_D_(board_game)
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

It seems a very Zen competition... Writing a really crap game should be easy, but I sense that the judges are looking for a very particular and subtle type of crapness... :?
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
You'll have to port it—it's ZX80 challenge month. Shadow of the char thingy that's half black and half dappled?
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Joefish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:08 pm Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offence way possible' mini-competition to start...
Well, I'm sorry but I'll have to Subvert your expectations there (ahem).
As for the text adventure Grand Prix, I've played a board game version of the Monaco Grand Prix that was actually really good fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_D_(board_game)
It certainly sounds interesting based off the Wikipedia article, especially with the gear system!
Firefox wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:44 pm It seems a very Zen competition... Writing a really crap game should be easy, but I sense that the judges are looking for a very particular and subtle type of crapness... :?
We've had very diverse opinions of crap in past competitions (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style) and I hope to keep it that way; it's probably just looks like the same sort of thing because we've had three programs in a row originally written back in the 80's, so they weren't made for crapness per se.
R-Tape wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm
RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
You'll have to port it, it's ZX80 challenge month. Shadow of the char thingy that's half black and half dappled?
That's another thing I feel I must mention: the challenges aren't mandatory, just there for a bit of fun if you want to try them - although now you've mentioned it, R-Tape, I hope RWAC does port it! It would be a good laugh :D
All software to-date
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Don't tempt me!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 pmDon't tempt me!
Go on, you know you want to... ;)
All software to-date
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Joefish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:08 pm Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offensive way possible' mini-competition to start...
PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pmWell, I'm sorry but I'll have to Subvert your expectations there (ahem).
Shame, as I've got this hack of Mad Nurse that makes it look like he's babysitting for some Jehovah's Witnesses... :shock:
I mean, allegedly, a Mr Harry S. Price Esq. has this hack of Mad Nurse that... :lol: :mrgreen:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pmI'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
I want a French wine-drinking game called Chateau of the P*ssed.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pm (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style)
Yes. I really love when game manage to find mid point between crap and experiment.

BTW. I have found this video about old TRS-80 games, it is rather interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh53El5X4c
Proud owner of Didaktik M
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

catmeows wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm
PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pm (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style)
Yes. I really love when game manage to find mid point between crap and experiment.

BTW. I have found this video about old TRS-80 games, it is rather interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh53El5X4c
Just watched it, very interesting indeed. Some great lessons for every games designer!
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

New entry!

Post by PROSM »

A new entry from BloodBaz: Crapic Attack! Try to guess which game it's ripping off. :D

Review and download available from connosoft.com
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New entry!

Post by R-Tape »

PROSM wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm A new entry from BloodBaz: Crapic Attack! Try to guess which game it's ripping off. :D
It seems to be faithful to the map and character access rights. Get rid of a few bugs, plonk some UDGs in there, sort out the text wrapping, and it could be marketed as an Atic Atac trainer!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: New entry!

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 pm It seems to be faithful to the map and character access rights. Get rid of a few bugs, plonk some UDGs in there, sort out the text wrapping, and it could be marketed as an Atic Atac trainer!
Yes, bar a few missing doorways, it is an exact replica of the map. The fact that it could genuinely have some use is disconcerting - I shall keep a close eye on BloodBaz to make sure he never lets even a trace of quality tarnish his work from now on. ;)
All software to-date
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Good stuff.
It removes all the unnecessary padding, enemies, graphics etc and what you're left with is the pure spirit of Atic Atac.
This is a work of art and I'm not talking about your run of the mill Monet's and Van Gogh's. This is Neil Buchannen levels of genius. A big art attack for the ZX Spectrum.
PROSM
Manic Miner

New entry!

Post by PROSM »

Another entry, and this time it's not a game! [mention]RWAC[/mention] has sent us Advanced Art Simulator, so get out your easels!
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great work RWAC! Very versatile utility.
Spoiler
You got me thinking with the Mondrian comment PROSM, but I don't think we could even get a Jackson Pollock out of this piece of software. Actually it'd make a pretty decent pixy style game (mental note).
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm
Spoiler
How in the heck did you do that?! If that's a genuine screenshot, I'll be amazed (although I doubt it).
All software to-date