CSSCGC 2020

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PROSM
Manic Miner

CSSCGC 2020

Post by PROSM »

The return of the famous, the one and only...

http://www.connosoft.com/csscgc2020/

More details and official announcements to follow...
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: CSSCGC 2020

Post by R-Tape »

Stout fellow! I'll email Chris Young to make sure he's aware and doesn't duplicate (I don't think he was going to).
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Well, the web-pages are fully uploaded and done and dusted. Have a look over at connosoft.com to see the full HTML/CSS glory! (clear your cache if you've already viewed the page, so that you get the updated stylesheets. Press Ctrl+F5 to do a full reload.)

I will be considering submissions submitted from the 1st of January 2020 onwards. Get crackin'! :D
R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am Stout fellow! I'll email Chris Young to make sure he's aware and doesn't duplicate (I don't think he was going to).
Thanks, I notice he's already updated his Crap Game Finder.
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Beautiful. GeoCities lives, and The Shamen are back in the charts.

I might well enter this year :-)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Excellent, good man!
I have some ideas floating around...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I might submit some floaters too... :lol:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I was going to try for this, had an idea for the past few months, but it would have breached your 5th rule. (And would have been beautifully puerile and childish.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:29 am I was going to try for this, had an idea for the past few months, but it would have breached your 5th rule. (And would have been beautifully puerile and childish.)
I'm interested to hear what it would have been. Why not shoot me an email or a PM? The bit about the hosting provider is only to stop people from going near illegal stuff; I doubt your idea will cross the line (maybe if Fahnn was writing a game it would... :D ).
All software to-date
+3code

Post by +3code »

Why not .DSK format and +3/+2A support?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I'm sure some simple name and graphics changes can avoid any complications.
And there's a proud tradition of mockery in Speccy games. :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

+3code wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm Why not .DSK format and +3/+2A support?
Whoops! I had meant to include it in my list, but got distracted trying to find the file extension for the Microdrive! Webpage is updated now.

I can tell by your username that this may have caused you some distress :mrgreen:
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

The submissions are now open! You have until the 24th of December to submit your game.

Good luck!
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

The first entry! "Escape the Room"

Post by PROSM »

Well, we have the first game of the competition: "Escape the Room" by Stephen Smith! You can see the full review here:

https://connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/001.html

Also, we have a Twitter account! Why not give us a follow? ;)
All software to-date
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The first entry! "Escape the Room"

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PROSM wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:15 pm Also, we have a Twitter account! Why not give us a follow? ;)
Followed!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

A promising start. I like the attention to detail—the author probably started off with a GOSUB routine that created a totally random map, and was so diligent he replaced it with the same map everytime, and a superfluous and mispelled "generting map" pause.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:46 pm A promising start. I like the attention to detail—the author probably started off with a GOSUB routine that created a totally random map, and was so diligent he replaced it with the same map everytime, and a superfluous and mispelled "generting map" pause.
Most of these crap games start with "good" intentions... :D

Also, we have the second entry, by our very own [mention]druellan[/mention], titled Aliengun!

https://connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/002.html
All software to-date
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

That review is so on point that I can't stop smiling, thank you very much [mention]PROSM[/mention] , sir!
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Re: The first entry! "Escape the Room"

Post by SteveSmith »

PROSM wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:15 pm Well, we have the first game of the competition: "Escape the Room" by Stephen Smith! You can see the full review here:

https://connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/001.html
Thanks for the great review, probably funnier and more entertaining than the game!

BTW, I've never actually heard of a Pentagon until I read your review. I just downloaded Speccy and selected a 128K machine (mainly to make the coding so much easier than on a 48K).
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

druellan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm That review is so on point that I can't stop smiling, thank you very much @PROSM , sir!
SteveSmith wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:19 pm Thanks for the great review, probably funnier and more entertaining than the game!
Thanks for the kind words! :)
SteveSmith wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:19 pm BTW, I've never actually heard of a Pentagon until I read your review. I just downloaded Speccy and selected a 128K machine (mainly to make the coding so much easier than on a 48K).
I imagine you might have misclicked and selected Pentagon instead. They look very similar to each other when they boot up (due to the Pentagon's ROMs being an illegal hack-up of the original Sinclair ones). The only way to tell the difference is that the Pentagon menu has an option to boot into TR-DOS, a disk-based operating system.
All software to-date
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

It's because the snapshot is in SNA format, which is designed to support the 48K Spectrum and the Pentagon 128.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

PROSM wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm
+3code wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm Why not .DSK format and +3/+2A support?
Whoops! I had meant to include it in my list, but got distracted trying to find the file extension for the Microdrive! Webpage is updated now.

I can tell by your username that this may have caused you some distress :mrgreen:
I thought maybe it was another leespoons situation and I was going to have to dig out my "rip protection" code from advanced screechy seagull torturig simulator again :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Another review uploaded

Post by PROSM »

Quite a controversial game this time, with Suicide by an "edgy nine-year-old" version of [mention]djnzx48[/mention].

http://www.connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/003.html
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I really like seeing these old games revived. I wonder if druellan’s and djnzx’s games would have made it onto the cassette50 BITD. I’m going to guess ‘nearly’.

I don’t know how old dru was for Aliengun, but djnzx’s is actually pretty good for a 9 year old (bit mad though!). I think I was just about toilet trained at that age.
These crazy guys are really angry because they can’t find any clothes for nerds in hamburger stores.
There's something deliciously crap about this sentence. The kind of thing we couldn't make up if we tried now.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:18 am I don’t know how old dru was for Aliengun
I was 12(*), and the idea was to do some kind of fullscreen duel game, using a preloaded screen and some UDG to move the enemy hand, but never got that far :lol:

(*) Now that I think about it I was probably older, but the game has no date attached and it is on a disc full of other games around 1985/1986 so...
PROSM
Manic Miner

Two more games!

Post by PROSM »

Well, we have two new games! Another Fruit Machine Simulator by Juan F. Ramirez and Explosion by Luny.
All software to-date