CSSCGC 2020

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Re: CSSCGC 2020

Post by Guesser »

PROSM wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm
+3code wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm Why not .DSK format and +3/+2A support?
Whoops! I had meant to include it in my list, but got distracted trying to find the file extension for the Microdrive! Webpage is updated now.

I can tell by your username that this may have caused you some distress :mrgreen:
I thought maybe it was another leespoons situation and I was going to have to dig out my "rip protection" code from advanced screechy seagull torturig simulator again :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Another review uploaded

Post by PROSM »

Quite a controversial game this time, with Suicide by an "edgy nine-year-old" version of [mention]djnzx48[/mention].

http://www.connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/003.html
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I really like seeing these old games revived. I wonder if druellan’s and djnzx’s games would have made it onto the cassette50 BITD. I’m going to guess ‘nearly’.

I don’t know how old dru was for Aliengun, but djnzx’s is actually pretty good for a 9 year old (bit mad though!). I think I was just about toilet trained at that age.
These crazy guys are really angry because they can’t find any clothes for nerds in hamburger stores.
There's something deliciously crap about this sentence. The kind of thing we couldn't make up if we tried now.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:18 am I don’t know how old dru was for Aliengun
I was 12(*), and the idea was to do some kind of fullscreen duel game, using a preloaded screen and some UDG to move the enemy hand, but never got that far :lol:

(*) Now that I think about it I was probably older, but the game has no date attached and it is on a disc full of other games around 1985/1986 so...
PROSM
Manic Miner

Two more games!

Post by PROSM »

Well, we have two new games! Another Fruit Machine Simulator by Juan F. Ramirez and Explosion by Luny.
All software to-date
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I think I like Explosion, the character blinking got into my nerves within a second of gameplay. Excellent!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great to see another native crap game made BITD. Is this linked to your Spectrum+ shenanigans in the hardware section Juan?
“I take no responsibility for any gambling addiction the game might cause.” – Juan F. Ramírez
Au contraire—I think you've found the panacea for all forms of gambling addiction!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:12 pm Great to see another native crap game made BITD. Is this linked to your Spectrum+ shenanigans in the hardware section Juan?
No, I converted it from tape some years ago. It was summer'86, one year after I got my Spectrum. Tipying up too many Microhobby BASIC lists helped me a lot. Also an article in MH about random numbers and how to generate them. And this was the result. As a teen I was proud of my work!

I've always seen the CSSCGC comp. from the distance, thinking 'too exclusive for me'. But I've always wanted to join that elitist club! :roll:

So it hasn't to do with my Spectrum + resurection. By the way, this week a brand new DivMMC I ordered has arrived, this weekend I'll make the unboxing! A new, little step! :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:52 am As a teen I was proud of my work!
Good to hear I've crushed another inner child! :mrgreen:
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the ZX80, I've posted a new challenge. If you'd like to participate, you have until the 26th of February (28 days to deliver your game, in true Sinclair fashion). Good luck!
All software to-date
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I'm eager to toss my hat into the ring but I am intimidated by trying to come up with an idea inferior to this exceptional prior entry: https://bobs-stuff.itch.io/text-only-grand-prix-2009

Such a concept!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Clarification of the rules

Post by PROSM »

After receiving an entry today which the author was hesitant to send due to rights issues, I feel that it is best for me to clarify my position regarding copyrighted materials.

Just go for it! If the rights holders are really so bothered as to interfere in a games competition for an 80's microcomputer, then they ought to be more worried about their state of mind than loss of earnings! :lol:

To give you a better idea of what's alright to send, none of the past CSSCGC entries would pose a problem in my view.
All software to-date
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offence way possible' mini-competition to start...

As for the text adventure Grand Prix, I've played a board game version of the Monaco Grand Prix that was actually really good fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_D_(board_game)
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

It seems a very Zen competition... Writing a really crap game should be easy, but I sense that the judges are looking for a very particular and subtle type of crapness... :?
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
You'll have to port it—it's ZX80 challenge month. Shadow of the char thingy that's half black and half dappled?
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Joefish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:08 pm Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offence way possible' mini-competition to start...
Well, I'm sorry but I'll have to Subvert your expectations there (ahem).
As for the text adventure Grand Prix, I've played a board game version of the Monaco Grand Prix that was actually really good fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_D_(board_game)
It certainly sounds interesting based off the Wikipedia article, especially with the gear system!
Firefox wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:44 pm It seems a very Zen competition... Writing a really crap game should be easy, but I sense that the judges are looking for a very particular and subtle type of crapness... :?
We've had very diverse opinions of crap in past competitions (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style) and I hope to keep it that way; it's probably just looks like the same sort of thing because we've had three programs in a row originally written back in the 80's, so they weren't made for crapness per se.
R-Tape wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm
RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm I'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
You'll have to port it, it's ZX80 challenge month. Shadow of the char thingy that's half black and half dappled?
That's another thing I feel I must mention: the challenges aren't mandatory, just there for a bit of fun if you want to try them - although now you've mentioned it, R-Tape, I hope RWAC does port it! It would be a good laugh :D
All software to-date
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Don't tempt me!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 pmDon't tempt me!
Go on, you know you want to... ;)
All software to-date
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Joefish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:08 pm Personally I'm waiting for the 'portray Horace in the most offensive way possible' mini-competition to start...
PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pmWell, I'm sorry but I'll have to Subvert your expectations there (ahem).
Shame, as I've got this hack of Mad Nurse that makes it look like he's babysitting for some Jehovah's Witnesses... :shock:
I mean, allegedly, a Mr Harry S. Price Esq. has this hack of Mad Nurse that... :lol: :mrgreen:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

RWAC wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pmI'm just going to submit Shadow of the Beast :D
I want a French wine-drinking game called Chateau of the P*ssed.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pm (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style)
Yes. I really love when game manage to find mid point between crap and experiment.

BTW. I have found this video about old TRS-80 games, it is rather interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh53El5X4c
Proud owner of Didaktik M
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

catmeows wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm
PROSM wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pm (the 2015 compo was particularly varied in style)
Yes. I really love when game manage to find mid point between crap and experiment.

BTW. I have found this video about old TRS-80 games, it is rather interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh53El5X4c
Just watched it, very interesting indeed. Some great lessons for every games designer!
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

New entry!

Post by PROSM »

A new entry from BloodBaz: Crapic Attack! Try to guess which game it's ripping off. :D

Review and download available from connosoft.com
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New entry!

Post by R-Tape »

PROSM wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm A new entry from BloodBaz: Crapic Attack! Try to guess which game it's ripping off. :D
It seems to be faithful to the map and character access rights. Get rid of a few bugs, plonk some UDGs in there, sort out the text wrapping, and it could be marketed as an Atic Atac trainer!