Al's Spectrum Annual 2020

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Re: Al's Spectrum Annual 2020

Post by Manu128k »

Wonderful job, Alessandro! I've enjoyed every page of it! :D
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

In just a couple of days, the feedback has been universally positive. Yay! :D

I am considering the possibility of a printed 32-page, full color A4 stapled magazine with a glossy cover. The cost per copy - considering the magazine would be printed in very small numbers - would be, on a rough estimate comprehensive of postage, around € 7-8 for Italy and € 10-12 for Europe.

What about it?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Very nice [mention]Alessandro[/mention]

Big thanks for the English version.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

If you're doing a print run, you might want to know that the text at the top of the English version's page 10 is in Italian, perhaps by mistake.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

djnzx48 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 pm If you're doing a print run, you might want to know that the text at the top of the English version's page 10 is in Italian, perhaps by mistake.
It was a mistake in fact, thanks for pointing that out.

A printed edition will depend from the demand for it, maybe I should create a poll about it. I'll let a day or two pass so that people could read the annual thoroughly and decide whether they would also like a paper version or not.

Unfortunately the magazine is likely to be read outside of Italy mostly, and this means high costs for postage. The cheaper shipping option costs about € 6 for 100-250 grams weight sent through international ordinary mail to Europe.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Nice magazine, was an interesting read - thanks. It's curious that 2019 was such an active year for the Spectrum. I wonder if we've hit some natural peak time-availability for man projects in the demographics of 1980s Spectrum users, or could (as in my own case) media exposure like Black Mirror's Bandersnatch have appealed to collective retro sensibilities.

I'm also intrigued by your own academic and professional background from your CV. I have this default assumption that anyone who shares this interest (and especially someone who develops titles) is a scientist, probably works in tech etc., but it appears you don't fit that generalisation.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]patters[/mention]: thank you, not only for reading the magazine, but also for taking the time to read my personal information :lol: Actually I agree with what you say, most of the times people actively creating something new in the retro scene have an IT background. I am glad to be one of the exceptions ;)

Several of the titles I selected for the reviews were made for competitions, as it was the case with my own Sophia II. I think the idea of competing with other developers is a strong enough motivation to create something.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I got to sit down and enjoy this over the weekend [mention]Alessandro[/mention]. A very good read. Thank you.

Some of these titles you review I missed, so its good to be reminded of them.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Thank you [mention]PeterJ[/mention] :D

This was an experiment, made in three weeks, including translations. Feedback was very positive so I hope to publish a new issue next year, and to begin earlier this time :)