Poll: How about a printed edition of Al's Spectrum Annual?

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.

Would you like a printed edition of Al's Spectrum Annual 2020?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes, I would like to buy one
10%
No, thanks
90%

Total votes: 10

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Poll: How about a printed edition of Al's Spectrum Annual?

Post by Alessandro »

My "experiment" of a Spectrum-related annual magazine was very well received, and many readers have been asking about the possibility of a printed edition. This would come as a 32-page A4 booklet with laminated cover and high quality paper. To cover the costs of a professional printing laboratory and postage outside of Italy, each copy would likely cost the reader between € 10-12 (about £ 8.50-10). What about it? This poll will last for 7 days from now.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Poll: How about a printed edition of Al's Spectrum Annual?

Post by R-Tape »

Not for me thanks Ale. I used to print out a hard copy of the few issues of "Spectrum Today", but reading the PDF is enough for me these days.

Your annual is brilliant though, and your reviews really hit the spot. You also brought some games I missed to my attention.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Just prepare the file for Lulu or a similar print on demand service. Far easier for people to get things printed and shipped locally and works out pretty cheap these days. £5.59 manufacturing cost for your annual.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Lulu does not make you choose exactly which kind of paper or cover would you like (satinated, glossy, grammage etc.), nor lets you print on a background other than white. I am familiar with such details because I have been creating and preparing for professional print booklets and folded leaflets for my photography exhibitions for years.

Anyway, so far it seems that nobody likes the idea here. :-/

If it keeps going on like this, I'll just make some copies only for those who explicitly asked me for them.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

As I get older I find PDF easier as I can easily zoom the text. Some places I have purchased PDF place a small watermark or similar on the bottom of each page. If you wanted to make a few pounds with future publications that may be a way forward?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

I haven't read a paper publication in more than a decade now, I reckon. All PDFs, CBR/CBZ etc on my tablet. I can carry around complete sets of Speccy magazines with room left over for... well, everything really. And I don't have to give up space on a shelf (or more likely, in a drawer) to store them either.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:51 pm Anyway, so far it seems that nobody likes the idea here. :-/
I like the idea of paper publications in general, but i don't ever want to deal with the dreaded Russian Post :lol: or figuring out electronic payment methods i never use in my everyday life. I do have some (russian) ZX mags on my bookshelf, but these were all bought with hard cash on various retro events.