Extruder @ FOSDEM

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Extruder @ FOSDEM

Post by RMartins »

I gave a talk at FOSDEM last Saturday, where I explained a bit the reasoning behind Extruder development and what was required to pull off 50 Hz frame rate in almost full screen.

I hope it will be an enjoyable presentation for you guys too.
https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ ... e_port_zx/

Assembly source code is also available at github (see link above).
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Extruder @ FOSDEM

Post by Andre Leao »

Muito bem Rui ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]RMartins[/mention]

A really interesting watch. I especially like the way you showed the overall process in C to aid understanding.

Peter
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The MP4 stream has not been properly encapsulated. The video does not progress beyond the first frame. Something went awry during the encoding. :(
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm The MP4 stream has not been properly encapsulated. The video does not progress beyond the first frame. Something went awry during the encoding. :(
Strange, it played for me OK. I'm normally using Linux, but today I'm on Chrome in W10.

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

That’s all right. I downloaded the WebM version and watched in in VLC.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm The MP4 stream has not been properly encapsulated. The video does not progress beyond the first frame. Something went awry during the encoding. :(
Just checked, and it's working fine for MP4 too.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

What a piece of work! Actually I preferred Extruder to the original. Could well do without the grimacing manga figures in the background, they just make it confusing. Some classic colour clash in the little figure in Extruder!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

One of the things that I didn't have time to explain in the presentation, is that due to the color for draw effect, each bubble item can't have a distinct pattern, like the original does, since that would require pixel operations.

Having distinct patterns, instead of just color changes, is particularly important for color blind people, in a game like this.

But this was one of the many compromises that I had to make, to achieve the 50hz goal.