The Perils of Willy is coming

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

The Perils of Willy is coming

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Kweepa
Manic Miner

Re: The Perils of Willy is coming

Post by Kweepa »

Why? It's terrible!
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

The original may have been terrible but that doesn't automatically mean that this updated version will be.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Is it coded from scratch? ... because it looks like it's made with the Multi Platform Arcade Game Designer.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Sokurah wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 pm Is it coded from scratch? ... because it looks like it's made with the Multi Platform Arcade Game Designer.
I'd exclude MPAGD, it does not "feel" like it, plus the sounds, the glowing 1-character objects and the blue screen and air bonus points at the end of each level are clues that it is probably a hack of the Manic Miner code, or made with a screen designer for Manic Miner.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm
Sokurah wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 pm Is it coded from scratch? ... because it looks like it's made with the Multi Platform Arcade Game Designer.
I'd exclude MPAGD, it does not "feel" like it, plus the sounds, the glowing 1-character objects and the blue screen and air bonus points at the end of each level are clues that it is probably a hack of the Manic Miner code, or made with a screen designer for Manic Miner.
Agreed. It's not got conveyor moonwalking like the Vic20 version had, too, which is a huge omission. Also no Stairway to Heaven? Sacrilege :)
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

From my personal perspective, it is great that someone is porting a classic Willy game once released for another platform to the ZX Spectrum :D .

I am looking forward to the game's release very much!

The original game apparently has 33 screens. It'll be interesting to see if they will all be there in the Spectrum version.

Does anyone know the planned release date for this project?

Alessandro wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm
While there are several screen designers for Manic Miner (and the best of them - I'm not afraid to say it publicly - is John Elliott's JSWED, with which one can also edit games using various Jet Set Willy game engines), none of them would allow the user to create a game with a "squashed" screen, of different dimensions than the original ones - at least using the standard functions available in its GUI. So if some of the original MM (or JSW) code was used in this project, it must have been done either in JSWED's Hex Editor, or using some other software than any of the MM/JSW editors.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

There was a discussion about it on JSW&MM Community and this project was mentioned as being announced on the "Central Cavern" Facebook group.

I would like to quote one opinion from there (written by Norman Sword), to elaborate on my thought about the screen dimensions / proportions:

"The spectrum playing area and hence the editing area of jsw on the spectrum is 32 tiles wide by 16 tiles high,
The perils of willy uses the Vic 20 screen which is 22 tiles wide and 23 tiles high. (this can be changed).

Just the fact that the vic 20 game perils of willy has more than 16 tiles in height makes a conversion to the spectrum a non event using the existing clones of jsw on the spectrum. I am ignoring the tile aspect ratio, and the problems with the width.

If the screens are remapped to use only 16 tiles in height, then it is not a rewrite onto the spectrum, but a re-design based on the Perils of Willy, which is not the same."

I'm absolutely not quoting it in any negative sense. It doesn't matter if it is a rewrite or a redesign, the important thing is that "The Perils of Willy" will be coming to the ZX Spectrum, and, as mentioned above, I am looking forward to it very much! :)
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Greetings friends - it's nice to read of the interest in Perils Of Willy. I can confirm that to create the game I used the source code for Manic Miner but rewrote almost all of the key routines to account for the differences. In this way I hope I was able to maintain the feel of Manic Miner in a slightly different format. I have vlog about the work which is in two sections on my channel. Part one is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ZEaAcBRRs

Thanks again!