SC Retro

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: SC Retro

Post by Einar Saukas »

redballoon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm This is looking great, Einar! What you'll have to keep in mind are the different screen resolutions, which can make the information almost unreadable.
Reducing the screen width to 991px, for example, or displaying the page on a mobile device shows that the table cell alignment may require some attention. If you press F12 or Right click on the page and select "Inspect" to get into the Developer console you can change then change the screen resolution and select the device you're viewing the page on, you'll see what I mean.
Thanks! But can you point out what exactly must be changed, kinda like [mention]druellan[/mention] did?

I have zero experience in web design so it would take me ages to figure out by trial-and-error the proper way to fix these things...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

hikoki wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:39 pm If I remember right this sentence was useful to make a page responsive.

Code: Select all

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Add a maximum-scale to disable zooming:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">
You can customize each page element based on different screen sizes in your CSS file. An example would be:

html{font-size:100%;}
@media(min-width:60em){html{font-size:100%}}
See the default style and the media based one.

Another example for a SELECT control:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<style>
body {background-color: navy;font-size:16px;}
select {width:100%;font-size:200%;}
@media(min-width:60em){select{width: 100%;font-size:150%;}}	 
</style>

Take a look at this site to read on media queries:
https://learn-the-web.algonquindesign.c ... a-queries/

A dirty tip to see how media queries are applied is to resize the browser window from large to small, simulating different screen resolutions.
You'd better ask a professional though :mrgreen:
I'm sorry but you will have to be more specific about what exactly needs to be changed :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 am I think we will have to move "creators" to a separate table, because there's too much information. This is a good example:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/compact/1608

In this layout, moving it to a separate table takes almost the same space as keeping it inside the general info. So there's nothing to lose.

Agreed?
I also added "series". For instance "Renegade" series:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/compact/4087

There are a few games that belong to multiple series:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/compact/6280

I don't like the idea of listing the entire series inside the general section like in Martijn's WoS. I think it's better to choose either list the series in a separate section below, or just mention the series name so the user can click to see further details. For now, I'm keeping both options to make it easier to compare. What do you think?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 am I think we will have to move "creators" to a separate table, because there's too much information. This is a good example:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/compact/1608

In this layout, moving it to a separate table takes almost the same space as keeping it inside the general info. So there's nothing to lose.

Agreed?
As we talked in the other thread, it seems redundant or 'repetitive' the same info in two places, so it's ok for me (even though my intention was the opposite, remove the author table! :D )
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

I'm sorry but you will have to be more specific about what exactly needs to be changed :)

The current layout seems to be meant for large screens to display a compact view with high information.
One can always zoom it on small screens but I meant the layout and font size to react to different screen sizes.

Some common em sizes:
25em — small screens, about 400px
38em — medium screens, about 650px
60em — large screens, about 980px
90em — extra large screens, about 1500px

So you could add different styles (font sizes, layouts, floating between elements..) to make the layout more readable.

@media only screen and (min-width: 25em) { … }
@media only screen and (min-width: 38em) { … }
@media only screen and (min-width: 60em) { … }
@media only screen and (min-width: 90em) { … }
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Whatever it ends up being called I really like this new look old look design.
CLEAR 23855
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

Media queries are so 2019 :mrgreen: flex-grow/flex-shrink is all the hype now.

Another vote for the v3 banner, btw. In fact I'd like it to be even smaller.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

michellekg wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 pmThat's really great and I'm voting for this view to become default (so no "retro", "lite" etc), and current view can be something like "modern".
I still think it's important to keep the current modern, more user-friendly interface as default layout, for casual visitors on different devices.

However I try to make it work such that, if you start navigating in compact mode, you stay in compact mode... Is this OK?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I will go back to screen resolution adjusts later. First I want to finish implementing all site content.

Since there were no objects, I'm keeping "Authors/Contributors" and "Series" in separate sections. I think they work better this way since both can contain a lot of information.

Next step is the list of compilations that included a certain title. Should it be inside the general section or in a separate section? I implemented both so everyone can see how it looks...
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:56 am Next step is the list of compilations that included a certain title. Should it be inside the general section or in a separate section? I implemented both so everyone can see how it looks...
I think a separate section looks cleaner. Great work!
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Authors, series and compilatios look ok in separate sections.

Look great!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Nice, but the layout could be improved. I get a lot of empty space around the loading/in-game screen caps. Kind of defeats the purpose of the compact layout:

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am Nice, but the layout could be improved. I get a lot of empty space around the loading/in-game screen caps. Kind of defeats the purpose of the compact layout:
Probably worth stating what browser etc. you're using as that seems to be an atypical result.

Edit: Ah... that blank space appears when the available screen width is reduced... which is not at all ideal.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Viewed in Safari, but it’s mostly the layout vs. window size issue. If I stretch the window horizontally almost to the edges of the screen, the problem disappears. I keep my browser window’s width at (effectively) 1,000 pixels.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am Nice, but the layout could be improved. I get a lot of empty space around the loading/in-game screen caps. Kind of defeats the purpose of the compact layout:
That's because the new "compilations" field was too large. It's now a separate section, this should solve the problem.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:35 pm
That's because the new "compilations" field was too large. It's now a separate section, this should solve the problem.
It does. Excellent!

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Implemented sections "Authored with" and "Links". These pages are getting big now!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/compact/6825

I'm starting to think we need a better name for this. Calling it "compact layout" sounds too generic, also SC was already using "compact layout" to mean something else. At SC homepage there's an option called "Results layout: compact".

Any other suggestions? Since many people don't like "retro", and all direct synonyms for "compact" sound too generic, perhaps we can choose a different word that vaguely suggests the idea of something compact? For instance "solid view".

Or perhaps just pick up a name that doesn't mean anything, like "zap view".

Any ideas?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Brainstorming time!

Lite
Mini
Zip
White
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 pm 16K
We have a winner. :D
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Well, since the "compact" has already been used, I think "lite" is obviously the second best choice.
At the moment, nothing better comes to my mind...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

• ‘rubberkey’
  • ’chuntey’
  • ’lower RAM’
  • ’microdrive’
Actually I like ‘micro’ or ‘microdrive’ ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

Just be unoriginal and name them literally like 'SC modern scheme' and 'SC light scheme'. Not everything has to sound like a brand name. :)
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

“Microdrive” gets my vote as a Sinclair themed name but as the previous post said sometimes straightforward works just as well.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

Hmm, "micro", that's something I could get behind, too.
Other than that, "lite" is still my one of my favourites (though it basically was rejected already), and of course [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention]' glorious "16K".