SC Retro

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: SC Retro

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:54 pm
akeley wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:54 am Sorry if I missed it, but is there any way to make the compact view permanent? I would love to use it, I much prefer it to the other one, but if I have to scroll down/click link to get to it I probably won't bother.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/x-index.php
Right. If you start navigating from this alternate home page, then you always be in alternate mode.

It's easy to distinguish if you are in regular or alternate mode, they have very different headers at the top.

We may also use cookies later to remember user preference. More about this later...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Ok, I've tried it, created my custom Firefox search from that page and now it works perfectly - I always start at Compact. It's brilliant, thanks to all the responsible for this iteration.

And while I'm here, I will repeat my earlier suggestion of implementing an optional Dark style in this version 8-)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

arjun wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am I was wondering why Simon Butler wasn't credited.
He's credited, but we currently don't know his roles in the development of that game.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Is this a good time to suggest again that "creators" might be a neater replacement for the awkward "authors/contributors"?
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:22 pm OK, I implemented both options now so it will be easier to compare:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/alt/408 ... t_Renegade

The problem is, listing authors/contributors first looks confusing when there's a lot of information.
I see what you mean. Although I wonder if the first layout will be still easy to read when viewed on a narrower screen (mobile for instance)? I honestly prefer the second layout just because it's easier visually to scroll vertically for information than moving horizontally. There is just too much info content in one line IMO. But I think we are down to personal choices here so whichever you decide on is fine, really.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:07 pm
arjun wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am I was wondering why Simon Butler wasn't credited.
He's credited, but we currently don't know his roles in the development of that game.
Here we have an interview with Simon Butler himself for El Mundo del Spectrum where he tell us what his role was on Target Renegade. http://www.elmundodelspectrum.com/entre ... on-butler/

"Cuántas veces te has dado realmente cuenta en tu vida como profesional de la industria, lo que Target Renegade significó y significa para nosotros? ¿Puedes realmente medir lo que tú y tus colegas nos disteis con ese juego y cuántos niños (hoy hombres) están agradecidos por una joya así?

En su momento sólo era un juego más. Hice el diseño del juego, de los personajes y de los niveles, pero el trabajo final lo realizó otra gente con mucho talento. Sólo en los últimos diez años he conocido a gente, aquí en Reino Unido, en Francia y en Alemania, que me ha confesado lo que ese juego supuso para ellos. Cuando empecé a trabajar en Alemania, uno de los programadores me pidió que le autografiase una copia impresa de la carátula y se conectó a Internet para decirle a su hermano, que vivía en Turquía, que había conocido a Simon Butler. Lo encuentro extraño, pero me llena de satisfacción haber ayudado a crear algo que ha hecho disfrutar tanto.

Translation:

How many times have you really realized in your life as an industry professional what Target Renegade meant and means to us? Can you really measure what you and your colleagues gave us with that game and how many children (today men) are grateful for such a jewel?

At the time it was just one more game. I did the game, character and level design, but the final work was done by other very talented people. Only in the last ten years have I met people, here in the UK, in France and in Germany, who have confessed to me what this game meant to them. When I started working in Germany, one of the programmers asked me to autograph a hard copy of the cover and went online to tell his brother, who lived in Turkey, that he had met Simon Butler. I find it strange, but it's a great pleasure that I have helped create something that has been so enjoyable.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Awesome!

I believe an even more literal translation from Spanish would be "I created images of the game, of the characters, and of the levels". Therefore his role was "in-game graphics".

Another mystery solved! Thanks!
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:16 pm Awesome!

I believe an even more literal translation from Spanish would be "I created images of the game, of the characters, and of the levels". Therefore his role was "in-game graphics".

Another mystery solved! Thanks!
It was a Googlish translation, but my translation (to be completely understandable) would be something like: "I made the game design, the character design and the level design". Anyway, it would be great to have access to the original English interview from Pablo L. del Rincón to know exactly what Simon's words were. I will ask Pablo if he can send me the original English interview. Stay tuned!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:29 pmIt was a Googlish translation, but my translation (to be completely understandable) would be something like: "I made the game design, the character design and the level design".
Good point! The word "design" is ambiguous. If he meant "concept/planning of game, characters, and levels", his roles would be "game design/concept" and "level design", but perhaps not "in-game graphics".

Audionautas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:29 pm Anyway, it would be great to have access to the original English interview from Pablo L. del Rincón to know exactly what Simon's words were. I will ask Pablo if he can send me the original English interview. Stay tuned!
That would be great! Thanks!
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:36 pm Good point! The word "design" is ambiguous. If he meant "concept/planning of game, characters, and levels", his roles would be "game design/concept" and "level design", but perhaps not "in-game graphics".
Yes, exactly. In my opinion game design/concept fits with what supposedly Simon said. In-game graphics, instead, seems way too simple or generic for what Simon is discribing. Anyway, I've contacted Pablo L. Del Rincón asking for what Simon exactly said on his interview, because sometimes some things are lost in translation.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:36 pm Good point! The word "design" is ambiguous. If he meant "concept/planning of game, characters, and levels", his roles would be "game design/concept" and "level design", but perhaps not "in-game graphics".
I pinged Simon Butler and asked him and he said:
I did game and character design.
I take that to mean he did game design and character design, which isn't the same as art.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I guess it means "game design/concept"?

Thanks!!!
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:14 pm I guess it means "game design/concept"?
Yes, that would be the right term.