Spectrum Show 96

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Spectrum Show 96

Post by PeterJ »

Another new episode from [mention]PaulJ[/mention]:

The Transform keyboard gets re-built and tested, plus the usual game reviews and chat.

https://twitter.com/DevPJ/status/128702 ... 87776?s=20
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Spectrum Show 96

Post by Morkin »

That sounds like the noisiest keyboard in existence.. :lol:

Zaxxon really isn't very good on the Speccy is it...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Watched this one with a great pleasure, as usual.
OscarSchnitzer
Drutt

Post by OscarSchnitzer »

moroz1999 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:08 am Watched this one with a great pleasure, as usual.
Same here. I'm always impressed with how much work it appears Paul puts into these.

And, like Morkin, Zaxxon didn't really work on the Speccy. I remember when Zaxxon hit the arcades we were amazed at the isometric graphics, even though it was a flawed game in some ways, but the Speccy wasn't suited for that port.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

great, as usual. but hey, Fantastic Voyage is a great game! i remember playing it for weeks, trying to figure out what is going on there (xUSSR, pirated games, no manuals, no nothing). what it lacks in graphics department, it compenstates with playability.

but then, i think that Jet Set Willy is boring, so my opinion may not be the most popular one. ;-)

p.s.: the best Zaxxon for spectrum is H.A.T.E.! ;-)

p.p.s.: and by the way, the main goal of Fantastic Voyage is to blow the hole in man's head. ain't that fun? i mean, healing him all the time and such, and finally BOOM! crack his head open. yay. also, the man has no brains, his head is literally empty (yeah, it is nasal cavity, it seems, but hey, i like to think that i'm in its head!). what a fun game!
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

ketmar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 am but then, i think that Jet Set Willy is boring, so my opinion may not be the most popular one. ;-)
Really, really depends on where'd you ask!

Oh and,

>xUSSR, pirated games, no manuals, no nothing

Still the best way to Speccy. :)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:31 am
ketmar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 am but then, i think that Jet Set Willy is boring, so my opinion may not be the most popular one. ;-)
Really, really depends on where'd you ask!
Dizzy sux too, btw. ;-) dunno why it was so popular in xUSSR.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

ketmar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 amp.p.s.: and by the way, the main goal of Fantastic Voyage is to blow the hole in man's head. ain't that fun? i mean, healing him all the time and such, and finally BOOM! crack his head open
It seems you have never seen the eponymous movie. The miniaturized submarine exits from the patient's body through one optical nerve and eye, just like in the game.

By the way, Fantastic Voyage was and still is one of my "old faves", played and completed back in the day as an unauthorized hack on the September 1985 issue of Load 'n' Run. However I like to play it without that "music"!

I don't think Zaxxon is so bad, yes it could have been much better even for the time, but after all it was acceptable to me.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:58 am
ketmar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 amp.p.s.: and by the way, the main goal of Fantastic Voyage is to blow the hole in man's head. ain't that fun? i mean, healing him all the time and such, and finally BOOM! crack his head open
It seems you have never seen the eponymous movie. The miniaturized submarine exits from the patient's body through one optical nerve and eye, just like in the game.
yes. for a long time, i didn't even knew that the movie existed, so i had to invent my own lore. ;-)

p.s.: and i hated that man so much for all the suffering i had from keeping him healthy, that i loved to think that i will finally blow his head! ;-)