Neadeital by Matt Birch

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Neadeital by Matt Birch

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've just read that this game will be an extra in the next Crash annual crowfunding. Really amazing.

https://youtu.be/aVQjAEuMafw

https://twitter.com/MrMattBirch/status/ ... 44064?s=20
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Neadeital by Matt Birch

Post by Ralf »

Wow!

It looks like Tir Na Nog 2 should look like if it was made.
Has the same climate but more colours, more backgrounds, more content and seems to have some actual story to follow
(while in Tirnanog you could wander aimlessly for hours).
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I saw this on the Kickstarter ad (I guess it's not available for the rest of us to play yet..?)

I did think it would be nice to have a new Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach style game, perhaps with slightly easier puzzles..!
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 amI did think it would be nice to have a new Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach style game, perhaps with slightly easier puzzles..!
haha yeah! I had Tir Na Nog on the Now Games 2 compilation. I used to wander around aimlessly until I encountered this slouching dude (no idea what he/it was meant to be) and they teleported me to another part of the map! I literally never achieved anything in that game but yet I used to load it up just to explore. I guess it was kind of atmospheric.

But to keep this on topic - Neadeital looks really good and if the gameplay was a little less obscure (than Tir Na Nog) then brilliant!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

At least you seem to be able to move around at a reasonable speed! Looks good.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

A new video by Chris Wilkins playing Neadeital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoeERF4ZIA
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Great news, complex adventure games are always welcome. No clue how to pronounce that name though ;)
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

It looks great ... but it also looks so close to the original games that it feels more based on the source (as in: disassembly) of those and not something built from the ground up.
Does anyone know?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

No clue how to pronounce that name though
Something makes me pronounce Neadeital like Neanderthal ;)
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

I'm guessing it should be 'Neanderthal' as 'Neadeital' isn't a word ;) Looks really good, I like the use of foreground objects to add some colour to the playing area. Curious as to why the sun rises and sets but the moon is stationary in the sky :geek:
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Maybe it’s an anglicisation of an Irish word? Tir Nan Nog (Tír na n-òg) is “land of the young”, and a dun (dún) in English is a “fort”. I can’t find any references to Neadeital (or similar) though so I’m not sure!

I’m more familiar with Scots Gaelic but based on those assumptions I’d guess the pronunciation is something like “nee-ah-jay-tuhl”, maybe!?

The trailer looks terrific anyway! :D
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Sokurah wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:31 pm It looks great ... but it also looks so close to the original games that it feels more based on the source (as in: disassembly) of those and not something built from the ground up.
Does anyone know?
i don't know anything for sure, but i believe that writing such engine from scratch will be faster and easier than disassembling one of the originals. i mean, the second case will at least double the work -- first, make sense of disasm, and second, rewrite the existing code for your needs. doing it all from scratch seems to be easier.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

i don't know anything for sure, but i believe that writing such engine from scratch will be faster and easier than disassembling one of the originals
I agree. We must also remember that Tir Na Nog is an early game from 1984. It was very impressive for its time but still early games never used all possible tricks so today you can certainly do a better, more efficient engine
Section2art
Drutt

Post by Section2art »

Having just read Matt Birch’s article in the Crash 2021 annual, the original name was Neodeital. This sounds a lot like Neonatal.

Neo - definitely means New
Dei- definitely refers to Gods, as in deity
Tal - may mean dew or claw, or just finishes off the end of “deit” and makes it rhyme nicely with neonatal.

The connection to neonatal suggests the idea of the birth of new gods, and the idea of “dew” can add to this theme...

Another idea 💡 I had was that it is an anagram of “one idea”, but I prefer my component-translation...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I just assumed it was an anagram of
Spoiler
alienated!