Wonderful Dizzy, new Dizzy for the Spectrum 128K!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Wonderful Dizzy, new Dizzy for the Spectrum 128K!

Post by Ivanzx »

Wonderful Dizzy, a new game in the series, with involvement from the Oliver Twins themselves!! will be appearing in Spectrum soon. Amazing graphics with participation from [mention]moroz1999[/mention] :)

https://twitter.com/TheOliverTwins/stat ... 2449375233

:)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Wonderful Dizzy, new Dizzy for the Spectrum 128K!

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

To be released tomorrow 18th dec.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/F1dJb6mx8Vk

More info:

https://www.olivertwins.com/wonderfuldizzy
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

It’s available to play online or download now:

https://yolkfolk.com/WonderfulDizzy/
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Funny, there's all this info, but nothing about what platforms it is for, at least I can't see it.

I seem to recall that there's a "normal" ZX version, and an extended Next one?

EDIT: just had a quick go in an emulator....really lovely gfx and sound. And it feels like a Dizzy game for sure. Must try it on real machines later, I'm sure they'll be happy to seee that old friend.
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Official info: this is release for good old original ZX 128. Version for Next is not ready yet, but we are planning to do it.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just tried briefly, its really wonderful ! :)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Right! I'll see you all in a week or so. I know what I have to do...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I've spent about 10 minutes with this so far and it's..... "Absolutely Brilliant!" Except, genuinely absolutely brilliant!

Only a couple of minor points so far - can you skip the intro text/images? I press a key and nothing seems to happen and although it's "wonderful" to see the brilliant graphics, I'd imagine playing this on my real spectrum will get a bit annoying after a while. At least with an emulator you can save state it past it.

I love the black and white beginning, a real homage to the original Wizard of Oz, but I'd really liked to have seen a little bit more on that. Maybe a couple outdoor screens in black and white with a small puzzle, go inside, then the storm, then when you go outside BLAM it's in glorious Speccy-vision! Because it's only one screen, maybe the black and white effect would be lost on some people.

I'll definitely be playing this over Chrimbo.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I made a template recently for building maps out of screenshots from DizzyAGE games, figuring they'd all have the same screen size. I was hoping this one would as well, but... it doesn't. Gaaaaaah!

Oh well, time to put those GIMP skills to good use again. It'll take a while, but it'll be worth it. OH YES, IT WILL BE WORTH IT. It's a good job I've done everything I need to do with WOOT! and the CSSCGC, because this whole project will be a time sink as deep as Minecraft.

You know, maybe one day someone might actually offer financial reward for what I can do with GIMP.
Wayne Campbell wrote:Shhhyaaaah! And monkeys might fly out of my butt!
Perkele.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I had a quick play this morning and it made me realise that, heaven forbid, I just don't like Dizzy games :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, it looks and sounds amazing but I just find the 'pick this item up and remember who needs it' a bit boring after a while.

Don't worry, my bags are packed and I'll be off now.
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

stupidget wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:10 am I had a quick play this morning and it made me realise that, heaven forbid, I just don't like Dizzy games :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, it looks and sounds amazing but I just find the 'pick this item up and remember who needs it' a bit boring after a while.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm the opposite in that I love the "what does this item do?" type of gameplay (Wally series, Magic Knight etc.) but in some of the Dizzy games it's the pixel perfect platforming jumps that you need to do that wind me up (even though I do love platform games too).

I'm hoping "Wonderful" doesn't have any really hard jumps in it where you lose a life if you're slightly off.