Revival 2018 ZX Spectrum Next Talks

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Revival 2018 ZX Spectrum Next Talks

Post by Swainy »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Revival 2018 ZX Spectrum Next Talks

Post by R-Tape »

Great video, amazing panel and you'd struggle to get less RP! (very exaggerated bell curve of hirsutism though :-p).

Good questions and answers throughout. I'm more worried by the extra graphics modes than opcodes, and I don't expect it to spawn a new generation of coders, but I'm a backer and looking forward to receiving it.
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

It was a good 50 minutes, but time restraints meant follow-up questions could not be squeezed in (to make a more conversation style talk), and I had another 4 or 5 questions to ask. We could have easily done a 2 hour one, and having chatted to Jim, Rich and Simon the previous day, there was so much more to say. Still, I hope people got some good info rather than the usual 'favourite publisher', 'best game', 'first computer' questions. I won't repeat what Simon said when I asked him if he gets tired of the same questions ;-)
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PaulJ wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:28 am I won't repeat what Simon said when I asked him if he gets tired of the same questions ;-)
Something along the lines of "Oh golly, I'm pretty easy going about these things, I am the type that suffers fools gladly" ?

I take issue when he said "get with the times" though, if I was to do that I would start coding indy stuff for the PC!
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:49 pm I'm more worried by the extra graphics modes than opcodes
Worried, how so?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Seven.FFF wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:53 pm Worried, how so?
I'm struggling with the 16bit style graphics, it's what I was yearning for in 1990 but not these days. For me the weird attribute layout is what makes it a Speccy, it might surprise you to learn that even multicolour causes me inner turmoil!

I hope this doesn't file me under Simon's "FB '****wits", I'm not saying they're basically remaking the Amiga, if the goal is to approximate a backwards compatible 'what if' next step for the Speccy, who knows it might have looked something like this. It doesn't stop me switching off when I see the hi-res colour & hardware sprites though.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

I regret to say that I lost patience with it and was hoping for some straight forward information. Either the audio was bad or the speakers were as it seemed badly presented and the room had terrible acoustics. Too much background noise, mumbling, ums and ers.

I missed the kickstarter, couldnt have afforded it, all I want to know is that assuming I'm not the only one who wants to be able to purchase the complete machine in its box, with its comprehensive manuals when will it go into production and assuming it gets good reviews will they put it on the market eventually? With all the debugging and SD card fiddling taken care of.

Probably not. Bummer. All I can hope for is a Chinese clone perhaps and a black market CAD file to produce the Rick Dickinson case on a 3D printer!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Probably not. Bummer. All I can hope for is a Chinese clone perhaps and a black market CAD file to produce the Rick Dickinson case on a 3D printer!
Don't worry. As usual a lot of backers will play with their new toy for an hour and later put it to shelf to gather dust ;) And later they'll be selling it on Ebay, It was the case of first Vega, I suppose it will be the case of Next.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

[mention]llewelyn[/mention]
Fast forward the video to 47 minutes, Mike Dailly talks of further production runs, as many as 10,000 units. At 48 minutes Jim Bagley confirms the wish to make more units although he seems more realistic about how this will happen. It certainly seems more units will be made if the demand exists. Within the crowd at the talk there were people who wanted to get a Next who had not backed. Looking hopeful for people like you and me I think. I also want one of these machines.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

llewelyn wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:50 pm I regret to say that I lost patience with it and was hoping for some straight forward information. Either the audio was bad or the speakers were as it seemed badly presented and the room had terrible acoustics. Too much background noise, mumbling, ums and ers.

I missed the kickstarter, couldnt have afforded it, all I want to know is that assuming I'm not the only one who wants to be able to purchase the complete machine in its box, with its comprehensive manuals when will it go into production and assuming it gets good reviews will they put it on the market eventually? With all the debugging and SD card fiddling taken care of.

Completely agree with you.
Somehow, I became disappointed with all kickstarter projects, I would say even indifferent ...
I dont know when Next will be completely finished and when the backers will get their final product, but if its before Christmas - it will be great.
Or maybe the better question is - Christmas, but which year ??
When others will be able to buy their Next, I wouldnt dare to predict, because I still dont have a crystal ball.
On the Next kickstarter page, I read only affirmative comments, up to the level of idolatry...
Endless delays, excuses and buying time, become really boring.
It looks like board only backers were smarter, others would have to wait and hope that Next will avoid Vega+ fate.