ZX Dev MIA-Remakes - The new ZX Dev is already here!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Dev MIA-Remakes - The new ZX Dev is already here!

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 am Actually it won't be icons but clickable words, like in Lucas games. But no, it's not a remake of any Lucas game ;)

Still it should save you a lot of frustration coming from "word hunting", when you know the right thing to do but the parser sucks and doesn't understand you.
Not many Spectrum games like that!! It will have a feeling that I want to experience already!! :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Another entry in the ZX Dev MIA & Remakes!

This time is a remake of a spanish Spectrum game which was originally beautiful graphically but very difficult and somewhat unplayable, Explorer XXXI:

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com ... xxi-remake

It is being done with AGD ;)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Hi guys!

Since I wrote for the last time, 4 new entries were opened in the ZX Dev!

-Elon Musk with a Jet Pack, a remake of Jet Pac!!!

-Misifu la gatita a demake of the PC DOS game Alley Cat!!

-Booty the Remake, a remake of the classic Booty!!

-Max Pickles, a series of adventures written in BASIC in an awesome way!

Remember you are all welcome to participate commenting in the forums, submitting games or backing for the prize which will turn you into a judge ;)

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com ... ies-juegos

[mention]Ralf[/mention] [mention]R-Tape[/mention] [mention]PROSM[/mention] [mention]Hikaru[/mention] [mention]Valdir[/mention] what are you waiting for! the prize is almost 1000€!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ivanzx wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm -@Ralf @R-Tape @PROSM @Hikaru @Valdir what are you waiting for!
I will enter but the game will not appear until 2019. I need to finish Bean Brothers, then it will be time to start work on the Woot! magazine.

There are so many fun possibilities for the MIA category, but I think I know what I'm going to do.
the prize is almost 1000€!!
I'm quite content with being an 'also ran' :mrgreen:
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

It´s been 4 months already since the ZX Dev MIA & Remakes started, and since the last month, many things have happened :)

Here is a summary:

2 new entries:

-Atomix ZX: MIA from US Gold, being coded by Julian Urbano

-Black Flag: Based on Pirates! from Sid Meier, coded by catmeows

The prize has reached 1100€
Remember that anyone who backs the prize with whatever amount will automatically be a judge in order to decide the winners ;)

And I have heard that some people from here will participate eh :)

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com/

Still 5 months to go!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

More than 2 months have passed and...

19 Games/entries so far, including new ones from October:

-Atic Atac 3D

-Mister Kung Fu

-PTM, licence to kill remake

-Popeye Arcade

-Cauldron Remake

-Escape from the Sewers remake

-Old Tower - Jumpery already finished

-Maze Death Rally X already finished

The prize is currently 1230€ but remember that you can back it with the amount you want, no limits, and you will automatically become one of the judges that will decide the winners ;)

Still 2 months and 10 days more or less for the deadline, so this is about time you start coding and finish a game to participate! :P

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com/

Let´s have a Spectrum party in March! :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Finally the ZX Dev MIA & Remakes is over! The winners are decided and I would like to thank you to all the people that made it possible, it was an amazing compo quality-wise with some new classics for the Spectrum!
Here you can see the final results:

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com ... rollTo=826

Thank you all, specially here I would like to thank the people from Spectrum computing for their support :)

Now play and enjoy, long live, Speccy!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The results from ZX-dev forum:
1-Aliens Neoplasma 13120 points
2-Redshift 13058 points
3-Old Tower 12996 points
4-Manic Pietro 12847
5-Mister Kung Fu 12660
6-Booty the remake 12210
7-Ninjakul 2 11892
8-TikiTaca 11868
9-Sophia 2 11824
10-Maze Death Rally X 11549
11-ZX Larry 11306
12-Comeme el chip 11270
13-Droid Buster 10750
14-Mini Explorer XXXI 10644
15-Elon Musk 10569
16-DeadZone 10512
17-PTM 10332
18-Ninja Gardening 10159
19-Misifu 9813
20-Witch 9300
21-Max Pickles 8831
I was one of the judges, and I broadly agree with the results. I would put Misifu & Elon Musk much higher, and Maze Death Rally X MUCH, MUCH higher (it was my top choice!). That said, there's no arguing that any of the top 5 could have won it.

Amazing comp. The most important driver of Speccy homebrew these days. Thank-you Ivan et al!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Of course I am biased being one of the contestants, therefore I would have liked to find Sophia II higher in the chart. Number 8 and 7 are less than 100 points distant from it, this means it could have easily gone up one or two position. Almost a tie with two very good titles like Tiki Taca and Ninjakul.

I don't think Aliens Neoplasma was the best of the other titles. Technically impressive for sure, but gameplay is actually pretty thin in my opinion, without the same width of scope of other Sanchez productions, e.g. Survivisection and Castlevania. I would have rather seen Redshift or Mister Kung Fu at the top, and a higher placement for Comeme el Chip as well.

Anyway, the general level was very high, and Spectrum fans and users can only be glad of being part of such a vital scene.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:21 pm Of course I am biased being one of the contestants, therefore I would have liked to find Sophia II higher in the chart. Number 8 and 7 are less than 100 points distant from it, this means it could have easily gone up one or two position. Almost a tie with two very good titles like Tiki Taca and Ninjakul.
I had it around this position, but with Tiki Taca higher. It's strange how the voting categories don't always reflect how one feels—despite it getting a lower score, I generally enjoyed Sophia2 a bit more than some that ended up placing higher.
I don't think Aliens Neoplasma was the best of the other titles. Technically impressive for sure, but gameplay is actually pretty thin in my opinion, without the same width of scope of other Sanchez productions, e.g. Survivisection and Castlevania. I would have rather seen Redshift or Mister Kung Fu at the top, and a higher placement for Comeme el Chip as well.
I loved Aliens and got it in the top 3; it was hard to not give it full marks on many of the categories. Could the graphics have possibly been better? I don't see how, but then I didn't give it 100% in that category. I thought it played really well, had an amazing atmosphere (it's creepy as hell when they attack you), and had enough restart points to keep you playing.

Maze Death Rally-X was my top spot because it fulfilled the competition brief perfectly. A remake of the arcade game/original zx game could not have been much better. Some might say it should scroll more smoothly, but then you'd get colour clash. Graphics and sound could have been fancier—and I don't doubt that TomD was capable of making them so—but it would have been inappropriate for the game. I found it the most enjoyable to play too.
Anyway, the general level was very high, and Spectrum fans and users can only be glad of being part of such a vital scene.
Amen.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I would like to thank you both, Dave for being part of the jury and supporting the prize and Alessandro for doing his Sophia, making the Dev better :)

As Alessandro said, we spectrum users are really lucky, everybody wins! :)
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

What happened with Zx Dev compo? Wasn't it annual ?
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

catmeows wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 pm What happened with Zx Dev compo? Wasn't it annual ?
I gave up organising it as it was too much time and effort and also tired of some other things, besides real life is currently super busy :/
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Ivanzx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 pm
catmeows wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 pm What happened with Zx Dev compo? Wasn't it annual ?
I gave up organising it as it was too much time and effort and also tired of some other things, besides real life is currently super busy :/
Fair enough. Yeah, real life can be super busy. Btw. Were you considering to find another organizer ?
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

catmeows wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 pm
Ivanzx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 pm I gave up organising it as it was too much time and effort and also tired of some other things, besides real life is currently super busy :/
Fair enough. Yeah, real life can be super busy. Btw. Were you considering to find another organizer ?
There were some talks and some people accepted but there is nothing so far, no news :roll:
zapiy
Drutt

Post by zapiy »

I would be happy to assist in running this with RVG and this site if that was something you was interested in?
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Thing is I don't want to see ZX Dev to die. That is all.
I could run something simulace this year And see what happen.