Abbots Archives - You Tube channel with commentary

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Abbots Archives
Drutt

Abbots Archives - You Tube channel with commentary

Post by Abbots Archives »

Hi all,

I've been uploading various retro games (including the spectrum) to my YouTube channel Abbots Archives which you may like. I loved the Spectrum Years and all I upload is pure nostalgia - I grab a few beers and play a quick blast from the games I remember while I chat away. I upload in the best quality I can and I enjoy every single game :)

Here's a link to my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0whZ ... t8ZwgG4idg - the spectrum playlist is the first list on the page underneath the uploads section. I hope to see you there.

/ Abbot
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Abbots Archives - You Tube channel with commentary

Post by PeteProdge »

I like that you've gone for a smooth motion - your uploads are set as 720p60 . It's a shame YouTube doesn't support lower resolutions at 50/60fps. Quite a few times I see 8-bit footage where it's 25/30fps when I know there's some really nice smooth movement that would be seen from the original equipment.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Abbots Archives
Drutt

Thanks for having a look PeteProdge. I'm trying to give the best quality I can so other people can enjoy watching as much as I have enjoyed recording. I know perhaps I will annoy some purists out there with the resolution but to me its all about having fun and fond memories. I don't think I'll ever totally slate a game from that era - maybe knock it a bit perhaps but to me it will always be the golden age of gaming.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

That’s really neat. I just watched your Pssst video.

One slight niggle is the upscaling. It’d be much better if the pixels were actually square, even at the cost of reduced sharpness.

I concur with Peter. 50 fps is a very good decision. Granted, there aren’t many Spectrum games that run at 50 fps, but some do, and capturing that in a video makes a huge difference. Kudos for that!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Abbots Archives wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pmI know perhaps I will annoy some purists out there with the resolution but to me its all about having fun and fond memories.
Well, it's clear you're doing it from an emulator (as do I, my only Spectrum no longer works). It's nearly at the right aspect ratio - a few irregular sized pixels give the game away, but it's not heavily noticeable. I'd say playing Fuse at a triple size window would probably solve this.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

If we consider the digital equivalent of the Spectrum's PAL signal, the original capture resolution would be 384x288p50 .
That means a large border, and the normal 256x192 screen area in the middle.

2x scaling will give you a normal SD resolution: 768x576 (downsized to 640x480 by YouTube)
5x scalling will give you 1920x1440 (supported by YouTube)

Other integer scaling options don't exactly match HD resolutions.
But it doesn't matter, the videos are fine! I like them!
Abbots Archives
Drutt

Thanks for all the input guys - I'll look at tweaking the resolution a bit.

Weekend is nearly here which means more gaming and another recording, but which game now? There are so many fantastic games to choose from - I'm sure I'll find something to scratch that nostalgia itch.

Have a good weekend all.

/ Abbot