ZX Dev Conversions

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

ZX Dev Conversions

Post by Ivanzx »

As most of you already probably know, we are running the ZX Dev Conversions compo, which is a compo where any game which is a conversion from another game, movie, TV Series, cartoon, books, or mangas can be submitted :)

So far we have 15 entries and the level is being absolutely brilliant. Games can be submitted until 20th January and before being announced anywhere they have to be presented in the ZX Dev Conversions forums ;)

And if you want to become a judge and decide the winners, with only supporting the compo with a prize (can be any amount you desire, no limits) you will be one of them.

Right now we are close to 750€ prizes for the contestants!

Here is the link to the Compo forums:

http://zx-dev-conversions.proboards.com/
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: ZX Dev Conversions

Post by Ralf »

This compo is already a big success!

I'm going to join it soon with some desperate jump on the train at the last moment:)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 am This compo is already a big success!

I'm going to join it soon with some desperate jump on the train at the last moment:)
And I am expecting more projects in the next weeks! :o

I think, besides what some people said in WoS, the prize helps attracting and motivating people ;)

And of course, personally I am looking forward to seeing what you are preparing, and I love platform games ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's doing better every year, very encouraging.
Ivanzx wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm Right now we are close to 750€ prizes for the contestants!
That's a prize and a half.

What's the crack with your sponsor? From what I can tell it's a scrap yard that has a side interest in flash games (and ZX Game development).
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am It's doing better every year, very encouraging.
Ivanzx wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm Right now we are close to 750€ prizes for the contestants!
That's a prize and a half.

What's the crack with your sponsor? From what I can tell it's a scrap yard that has a side interest in flash games (and ZX Game development).
The owner of the scrap yard, Juanfra, is a member of the team of the page and podcast El Mundo Del Spectrum (The world of spectrum), he is a phenomenal Spectrum collector (he has an impressive collection, even a C5) and a really amazing person too :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

We are now introducing the people who will be the jury and therefore will be deciding the winners!

http://zx-dev-conversions.proboards.com ... los-jueces

If anybody wants to join the jury, remember that the only thing that needs to be done is backing the prize with the amount you feel like and automatically you will be a judge ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The judges look like good chaps, but as I say over there, it would be good to get a more international panel to reflect the entries.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am The judges look like good chaps, but as I say over there, it would be good to get a more international panel to reflect the entries.
I invited many people, and made it public in WoS, Tweeter, and even Spectrum Facebook groups with near 10.000 members and where 90% of the people are british, and nobody looked excited about it, so... :( I have the feeling that they prefer playing Manic Miner over and over again than paying attention to new releases.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That's a shame, don't feel too disheartened though as there are more games every year in the contest.

Does nobody here fancy it? You need to make a tiny donation in order to be a judge, but in return you get the power to crush another person's dreams.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am That's a shame, don't feel too disheartened though as there are more games every year in the contest.

Does nobody here fancy it? You need to make a tiny donation in order to be a judge, but in return you get the power to crush another person's dreams.

And you can even donate 10 cents and become a judge, there is no limit down and up regarding the amount ;)

But don´t worry, Dave, there are still like 15 more judges to be introduced! Being one of them Neil from Indieretronews ;)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I believe the problem is not the amount to contribute to be a judge.

I believe the real issue, if we really think about it, is to have enough time to test all the games equally, to be fair.
I'm not sure I would have time to do it, even if a full month timeline was given.

But being a contestant, I decided not to be a judge, since I could fail to be fair to others.

On another note, in the future version, it might make sense for contestants to evaluate one another, and then use that with a different weight in the overall evaluation.

I find that your pears usually know better how to evaluate the technical part, since most users will only evaluate, the game play, fun, music and graphics.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm in a similar position, though I prefer the idea of the judges being separate to the entrants.
RMartins wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm I find that your peers usually know better how to evaluate the technical part, since most users will only evaluate, the game play, fun, music and graphics.
That's interesting. I suppose each judge will have their own yardstick, but should any weight at all be given to how technically proficient the game is? (I'm not just questioning this because my entry is PGD!)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I invited many people, and made it public in WoS, Tweeter, and even Spectrum Facebook groups with near 10.000 members and where 90% of the people are british, and nobody looked excited about it, so... :( I have the feeling that they prefer playing Manic Miner over and over again than paying attention to new releases.
Or talking in WOS Chit-Chat forum about what they eat for dinner ;)

Yes, there are guys who behave like they were hibernated in an ice cube for 30 years and only woken up yesterday. The can talk about Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy forever, remember that in November 1986 there was an arcticle in Crash about something but cannot mention any new recent games and often are genuinely suprised that there are still new games for Speccy coming.

And if you make some discussion about 100 best games or so they always bring only classic titles and when somebody mentions a new title they always want it removed as "it doesn't count" ;) Even in our forum we have two separate threads for best games - old and new ones.

But don't worry Ivan. This compo is already a great success, one of the biggest ever in Spectrum history. So many entries with such quality... I could only compare one compo, this Russian one to have similar quality:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... up_id=2045

And yes, it has a Spanish "flavour" but there are British entries, there will be Polish entry from me so it is international after all,.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I will also say that if a game is for a 16K or 48K Spectrum it should be judged on that machine, not criticised for not using 128K features.
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am
Unless you have your own, personal reasons to do any sort of Speccy development/activity in 2017, it's neither worth your time, nor the effort.
Inactive account
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

^^ what he said..Ban this guy!
Spectrum games can be so good as modern ones. At least like the homebrew games which are monetized on flash games portals. You could sell them and distribute them easily as .exe with built in Fuse (the SDL version to get full screen).
There won't be much difference between clasic games and new ones within 20 years when we're all toothless.
Were not you eager for new games and magazine article back in the day? that should be part of recreating Spectrum nostalgia.
One important thing is preservation (original software, hardware, emulation, fpga..). The other one around new developments may help to keep the interest in this platform for longer.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am

Yes, there are guys who behave like they were hibernated in an ice cube for 30 years and only woken up yesterday. The can talk about Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy forever, remember that in November 1986 there was an arcticle in Crash about something but cannot mention any new recent games and often are genuinely suprised that there are still new games for Speccy coming.

And if you make some discussion about 100 best games or so they always bring only classic titles and when somebody mentions a new title they always want it removed as "it doesn't count" ;) Even in our forum we have two separate threads for best games - old and new ones.

But don't worry Ivan. This compo is already a great success, one of the biggest ever in Spectrum history. So many entries with such quality... I could only compare one compo, this Russian one to have similar quality:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... up_id=2045

And yes, it has a Spanish "flavour" but there are British entries, there will be Polish entry from me so it is international after all,.
That is true, and even in the spanish scene there are people with that same attitude towards the new spectrum games, I cannot understand it but we have to accept it! In my opinion these people barely play Spectrum nowadays, nor emulators, they just like the nostalgia and how those times were so happy, but the Spectrum is something, even if they dont realize of that, very secondary to them. For me, nostalgia is a part, but a little one, and new games and new excitement to see new development for the Spectrum is much more attractive ;)

The intention was that the compo was very international, thats why English was set as the main language, so Im very happy to see people from Russia (3 entries so far), Portugal, Italy, Chile and UK (5 entries too!). I really wish some other people get motivated to become part of the jury :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Hikaru wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am Or talking in WOS Chit-Chat forum about what they eat for dinner ;)
Unless you have your own, personal reasons to do any sort of Speccy development/activity in 2017, it's neither worth your time, nor the effort.
Well, the atractive prizes are a good reason too ;) and Spectrum is always worth our time!! :D
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Joefish wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 pm I will also say that if a game is for a 16K or 48K Spectrum it should be judged on that machine, not criticised for not using 128K features.
It is really clear in the rules if you take a look:

"-The categories for the votation will be: 1)Graphics/Visuals 2)Sound/Music 3)Playability/Addictiviness 4)Conversion degree/Fidelity 5)Overall. Each one of them will be ranked from 0% to 100%. To get the final mark for each game, all of them will be added to calculate the total amount of points."

So, if the game has a good 48K music, for example, I dont see why it should get a low score (Im sure the rest of the jury thinks the same).
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

I finally got music into my ZX conversion of the C64 version of Sqij.
Can I submit that game for the compo?

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Sokurah wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 am I finally got music into my ZX conversion of the C64 version of Sqij.
Can I submit that game for the compo?

Hi Soren!

Unfortunately the rules say only games which haven´t been announced before can be submitted, sorry :cry:

Anyways, lookingforward to seeing the new Sqij! :D
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

No problem. Thanks :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

List of all games from the compo, completed and not completed:

http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/compl ... ions-2017/
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

The compo is over!! thanks a lot for everyone involved and thanks for keeping us still playing the good old spectrum like in the 80s with these gems!

http://zx-dev-conversions.proboards.com ... resultados

1º Mighty Final Fight 10578
2º Ninja Gaiden Shadow Warriors 10243
3º Gimmick! Yumetaro Oddisey 9520
4º Retroforce 9362
5º Twinlight 9320
6º Parachute 9311
7º Baby Monkey Alba 9097
8º Bobby Carrot 9088
9º Gandalf 9003
10º ZXombies 8643
11º Saving Kong 8496
12º Wunderwaffe 8397
13º Roust 8303
14º Dr. Who 8029
15º Speccy Pong 7832
16º Extruder 7680
17º Left Behind The Martian 7435
18º Vindius 5925
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Philistines :evil:

(Congrats everyone. It's hard to argue with 1 & 2, but I think Wunderwaffe should be higher.)

Thanks for organising another fantastic compo Ivan, it's getting better every year. Rest assured, if I ever get my car scrapped it will be with your sponsor, Desguace Juan Torres.

I will have to buy a car first though.