Help with Horace

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Re: Help with Horace

Post by Redgatemodels »

@TomD as an aside, when using the - m option to create the menu can I use a pre formed mdr in the command list rather that a z80?

I guess I could just try it, but thought I'd ask
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Redgatemodels wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:52 am @TomD as an aside, when using the - m option to create the menu can I use a pre formed mdr in the command list rather that a z80?

I guess I could just try it, but thought I'd ask
Unfortunately no, it just accepts Z80 or SNA snapshots as inputs.

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

TomD wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:48 am Unfortunately no, it just accepts Z80 or SNA snapshots as inputs.

TomD
That's a shame as it would be nice to use a known working mdr. Also relies on having a tzx and then z80 to create a menu. Need to look into getting round this for home grown programs etc where no tzx/tap/z80 exists
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Redgatemodels wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:59 am That's a shame as it would be nice to use a known working mdr. Also relies on having a tzx and then z80 to create a menu. Need to look into getting round this for home grown programs etc where no tzx/tap/z80 exists
The number of known working original MDRs is very very low, and you've already seen how tricky (but fun) it can be to get a tape onto a cartridge. This makes snapshot one of the best ways to do it. I'd also say that other than the latest releases or multiload games there are probably Z80 snapshots for >90% of games already available. I still like to use Skoolkit to convert though as some of the older Z80s were captured manually using emulators and often miss the loading screen.

I did actually write a program to create a standalone menu called MenuDSK (https://tomdalby.com/other/z80ondsk.html). It currently works on everything other than Microdrive's (due to the basic memory location) but would be easy to adapt.

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

Oh I agree, it was so much easier to recreate the Jetpac image using skoolkit/z80onMDR Than the way originally done, although it was educational seeing the ins and outs etc.

Anyone alternative menu route would be good though with MenuDSK would be handy, but I csn live without it ;)
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

Redgatemodels wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:05 pm Can't remember what file I started with, would be a zipped tap or tzx. Thanks for the suggestions on optiond, will give it a go 👍
Can i use the - c p option with - m?
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Redgatemodels wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:48 pm Can i use the - c p option with - m?
Yes, each snapshot can have its own options

Tom
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

TomD wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:29 am The number of known working original MDRs is very very low, and you've already seen how tricky (but fun) it can be to get a tape onto a cartridge. This makes snapshot one of the best ways to do it. I'd also say that other than the latest releases or multiload games there are probably Z80 snapshots for >90% of games already available. I still like to use Skoolkit to convert though as some of the older Z80s were captured manually using emulators and often miss the loading screen.

I did actually write a program to create a standalone menu called MenuDSK (https://tomdalby.com/other/z80ondsk.html). It currently works on everything other than Microdrive's (due to the basic memory location) but would be easy to adapt.

TomD
Thinking about this, it will be be dead easy to just use any old z80 file in place of a home made set of files, making sure the - m option creates the loader file with the right name then just substitute the basic loader etc using copier from drive 2 etc.
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

Oh this is getting silly now, I’m going through all my back catalogue of childhood games and making compilation mdr’s. Only one so far that would not snapshot using skoolkit is 4d timegate. I have the original cassette of that one too.

I have 6 Space games in 1 image with 42k left, plenty of room for it if I could get it converted.

My Mum was fond of Chuckie Egg and Horace Goes Skiing when me and Dad went to the pub of an evening, will make a special double pack of them for her, even though now the dementia has her, she will never know the pleasure again :(
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Redgatemodels wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:21 pm Oh this is getting silly now, I’m going through all my back catalogue of childhood games and making compilation mdr’s. Only one so far that would not snapshot using skoolkit is 4d timegate. I have the original cassette of that one too.

I have 6 Space games in 1 image with 42k left, plenty of room for it if I could get it converted.

My Mum was fond of Chuckie Egg and Horace Goes Skiing when me and Dad went to the pub of an evening, will make a special double pack of them for her, even though now the dementia has her, she will never know the pleasure again :(
4D Timegate has a manual before the main game which is probably why it doesn't work. Luckily there are versions on the web that just have the game and skip the manual. I think if you try and use Skoolkit on the one with the manual it will just timeout waiting for you to press a key and not work. To get this to work you are going to have to either grab a version that loads without the manual (the TOSEC has one) or use an emulator to capture and scroll through the manual first.

Also sorry to hear about your mum.

TomD
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

I have got a timegate mdr but the basic loader/manual first part does not have microdrive load commands so it waits for tape once you get through to start the game. I've tried editing it after breaking into it but can't see where the auto run line is. Maybe a hidden line 0?

I could try to merge it from the original tape.....
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Redgatemodels wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:32 am I have got a timegate mdr but the basic loader/manual first part does not have microdrive load commands so it waits for tape once you get through to start the game. I've tried editing it after breaking into it but can't see where the auto run line is. Maybe a hidden line 0?
Time-Gate was the first game I ran into as a kid that needed LOAD "" CODE to load it! And it didn't exactly come with an inlay or any instructions if you know what I'm saying… ;)

Anyway there is a BASIC program embedded in the code block:

Code: Select all

10 POKE 23613,0: SAVE "TIME-GATE" CODE 23599,31000:LET l=USR 28000
So the code block is 31000 bytes long, loaded at 23599. The entry point to launch the game seems to be 28000.
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

I saw that line when I broke into my the program, the save command convinced me this was not the initially run point when loading?
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Redgatemodels wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:29 am I saw that line when I broke into my the program, the save command convinced me this was not the initially run point when loading?
Yeah it's a bit of a software protection trick. It's not actually a conventional BASIC loader at all; instead the program is run by the developer when creating the master tape: because such a low memory address is specified it actually saves the system variables, the BASIC program and the machine code game all in one code block. It's a bit like saving a snapshot. When it's loaded back in by the user, the system thinks it's in the sate immediately after the SAVE command, which in this case is LET L=USR 28000 (that's just another way of doing RANDOMIZE USR 28000) which has the effect of jumping right into the game.