Help with Manic Miner

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
fedepede04
Drutt

Help with Manic Miner

Post by fedepede04 »

Hi all
i have try to post some question on FB regarding Manic Miner, no luck so fare so i thought i also better try a forum.

i have copy my post from FB (not the best at english) to save me some time :lol:

My short story why i have add to this group/forum, i never own a ZX Spectrum. but one of my good friends("Flemming") had a 16k model. so i have use it a lot for gaming and coding. one of the first game Flemming bought was Manic Miner.

i am in the process of remaking Manic Miner for the Atari ST. and i have not use a single line from the original game, since its a remake. i only reach around the Retrun of the Alien KB level on the Speccy and MSX.

I not 100% sure that my engine is 100% correct.
I am also knowing that some of you, probably shouts blasphemy for doing this😂 i know that the speccy version is the best version of the game 😉.
so i have tried to keep in the same spirit, i have kept the original sprites just color them, but i have change some element of the game, add a high score routine, also change how the crushing food work i will also change some of the game graphic, since there more ram on the ST.

Ok here is my first question, i hope you can help guys 😁, what happen if you hit the spider web, NOT the Spider but the web, do you die, or do you get right through

my second question
if you are standing over with the Skull can you get back on the ladder?

i really hope some can help me out here, i would appreciate it a lot :D
Best Regards
Peter
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Help with Manic Miner

Post by AndyC »

The spider webs kill you - each room in MM can have two types of deadly block - such as the stalactites and poisonous pansies in Central Cavern and in AOTMT they are the web and spiders.

I don't believe you can get back on the ladder. If you jump right, you'll go through it and land on the conveyor. If you try to walk right, you'll go onto the conveyor and jumping will automatically jump right.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

fedepede04 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 am ... i never own a ZX Spectrum. but one of my good friends("Flemming") had a 16k model. so i have use it a lot for gaming and coding. one of the first game Flemming bought was Manic Miner.
Well, then Flemmings Speccy must have been a 48K model as MM wouldn't run on a 16K model ... but perhaps he upgraded the RAM?

I like that you're using "flat" Spectrum-like colors for the sprites, but once you have everything working you should add more colorful sprites and let the player chose what they want.

Let us know how you get on with this.

...nåh ja, og velkommen til forummet :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
fedepede04
Drutt

Post by fedepede04 »

Many thx
AndyC wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:19 am The spider webs kill you - each room in MM can have two types of deadly block - such as the stalactites and poisonous pansies in Central Cavern and in AOTMT they are the web and spiders.
right.
i had an idea that it would, but i had to be sure, my engine can have 8 deadly B, 16 massive block, 16 transparent block 2 special block.
AndyC wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:19 am I don't believe you can get back on the ladder. If you jump right, you'll go through it and land on the conveyor. If you try to walk right, you'll go onto the conveyor and jumping will automatically jump right.
thanks again, then it look like my engine work right, it is the same on mine :)
fedepede04
Drutt

Post by fedepede04 »

Sokurah wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am
fedepede04 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 am ... i never own a ZX Spectrum. but one of my good friends("Flemming") had a 16k model. so i have use it a lot for gaming and coding. one of the first game Flemming bought was Manic Miner.
Well, then Flemmings Speccy must have been a 48K model as MM wouldn't run on a 16K model ... but perhaps he upgraded the RAM?

I like that you're using "flat" Spectrum-like colors for the sprites, but once you have everything working you should add more colorful sprites and let the player chose what they want.

Let us know how you get on with this.

...nåh ja, og velkommen til forummet :)
Mange tak :)
he never updated it, so you must be right,it must have been a 48k Model he had :lol:
sorry if I have write something wrong i don't use flat color sprite, i have color them all, I even animated Eugene, right now all the map graphic, is flat color graphic, its only to i am finish doing the maps. when i will start on the graphic.
the only thing missing for my engine is the sound FX and the solar beam from the "The Solar Power Plant"

the intro, Squisher Room and the high score is finish, so hopeful i can get the game finish before the end of the year .

thank again and for the welcome ;) and i will post here when i have something finish to show :D
fedepede04
Drutt

Post by fedepede04 »

hi
here is a preview if some is interesting
http://ataricrypt.blogspot.com/
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

I like it - it's not bad. I have a few comments though.
The sprite movement: it feels a bit ... choppy.
Not crazy about the "grafitti" on Eugene's Lair (that's the last level I watched btw).
Oh, and perhaps you should correct the spelling of Johan Staruss to Johan Strauss ;)
But it's coming along nicely. Good job so far.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
fedepede04
Drutt

Post by fedepede04 »

Sokurah wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:59 pm I like it - it's not bad. I have a few comments though.
The sprite movement: it feels a bit ... choppy.
Not crazy about the "grafitti" on Eugene's Lair (that's the last level I watched btw).
Oh, and perhaps you should correct the spelling of Johan Staruss to Johan Strauss ;)
But it's coming along nicely. Good job so far.
Many thx, I will get the spelling fixed :)
I must be the capture the game runs in 50 frame so it should move smoothly. Steve that have write blog is also not so happy about the grafitti, but I could only see the Eugene s l as a public bathroom in the 80, but I have to sleep on it if it stay or gets removed. But thanks again for your feedback