Day one games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Day one games

Post by Pegaz »

I think Thro the wall should not be taken into account because it's the first game for anyone who bought the new Spectrum, including me.
So, my first two commercial games I had were Pssst and Backgammon (Psion).
Both seemed great to me then, but Pssst stood test of time and I still enjoy playing it. :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I never had that magical Christmas unwrapping sensation as we had our first computer, a Dragon 32, as a 'family computer'. Which essentially meant that one Saturday back in '82 we went into Wolverhampton town centre and picked a computer. After the Dragon died a couple of times we got a full refund from the shop. No refund back to a debit card in those days, they just gave us a wedge of cash!! So my Dad and me ran from the computer shop to Boots and bought a rubber keyed 48k beauty!! Apart from the usual Survival, Make a Chip, Chess, Chequered Flag and Horizons tapes I also got a copy of 3D Luna Crabs. Going from the blocky graphics of the Dragon to the hi-res ones of the speccy blew me away and even though Luna Crabs was pretty crap as a game I'd keep loading it just to see the graphics.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Definitely, the first impressions of Spectrum's hires graphics were exceptional.
Before that I had zx81 for a short period of time and then my grandpa and grandma, bought me the new Spectrum.
Since I first loaded the Horizons tape and saw those two hires pictures (Psion logo and Horizons loading screen), it was a jaw dropping effect. :)
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Hank Scorpio wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 pm The pack that came with my Spectrum contained:

Scrabble
Make A Chip
Survival
Chequered Flag
Chess
Horace Goes Skiing
The above, plus:
Horace and the Spiders
Reversi
VU3D
Tasword Two.

i obviously played the two Horace games to death. I quite enjoyed Chequered Flag, too. No idea wtf was going on in Survival? Perhaps I should have read the instructions :)
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

I had bought The Hobbit, Horace & the Spiders and Manic Miner in the weeks leading up to my Spectrum arriving on my Birthday. So they were my day one games. I remember looking at the cassettes counting down the weeks before I could get to play them.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Morpheus wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:44 am I had bought The Hobbit, Horace & the Spiders and Manic Miner in the weeks leading up to my Spectrum arriving on my Birthday. So they were my day one games. I remember looking at the cassettes counting down the weeks before I could get to play them.
I did something very similar when I got my PS1. I knew I was getting one for Christmas in '98 so a few weeks before I bought Resident Evil 2 and waited with bated breath to play it. The sad thing is that I was 25 years old at the time :D :D
Contact Sam Cruise
Drutt

Post by Contact Sam Cruise »

Penetrator, Atic Atac (both lent to us by a friend), and the starter tape that came with the ZX Spectrum+. I think it taught some basics of BASIC and then ended with a Breakout-type game?