The inevitable worst game ever thread

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Re: The inevitable worst game ever thread

Post by Wall_Axe »

1985 is rubbish but as a kid I didnt just dismiss it. The sound and graphics created a bit of an atmosphere.

I thought that it was my own fault for not being good enough at the game. I just considered it to be too hard but something that I could possibly take a go at now and again.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Going by games I actually owned as kid, and therefore had to put some effort into, rather than stuff I've fired into an emulator for 20 seconds I would nominate:

Corridors of Genon - I know this is considered a decent early Speccy game but I absolutely hated it. It was abysmally boring.
Warlock of Firetop Mountain - a very dull game of aimless wandering.
The Crypt - The loading was probably quicker than the movement response. Best thing about it was the inlay artwork.
Ah Diddums - A bug-ridden, tragically programmed, incomprehensible travesty from the most overrated, overly arrogant software house in Speccy history.
Jack and the Beanstalk - An utter, almost impossible, mess.

Funnily enough I owned original copies of all the above - not that I bought or chose any of them personally! I think all of them came from an aunt. None of them would have been Bargain Bucket stuff either - I had them all in 1984.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Spector
Drutt

Post by Spector »

Hello everyone. I would like to begin by adding an obvious game to this list: Super Soccer by Imagine. Awful Awful Awful Awful Awful.
BloodBaz
Drutt

Post by BloodBaz »

Definitely SQIJ for me.
I love how you have to POKE before the game even runs (or remember to put BASIC into CAPS MODE before loading?) Inspired!
Also, a game that has made me laugh out loud in it's well rounded crapness!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Spector wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:46 pm Hello everyone. I would like to begin by adding an obvious game to this list: Super Soccer by Imagine. Awful Awful Awful Awful Awful.
Hi Spector.

Super Soccer was indeed horrible, but wait until you try Peter Beardsley's International Football. Or Gazza's Super Soccer :x

Gazza II, on the other hand, was a different matter altogether.
Contact Sam Cruise
Drutt

Post by Contact Sam Cruise »

Alessandro wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Super Soccer was indeed horrible, but wait until you try Peter Beardsley's International Football. Or Gazza's Super Soccer :x

Gazza II, on the other hand, was a different matter altogether.
I remember Super Soccer being a sluggish mess with colour clash and awkward controls. What was the best Spectrum football game? Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm Jack and the Beanstalk - An utter, almost impossible, mess.
Yep, I too had the gross misfortune of owning this hideous projection of digitised vomit. The music was just an aural assault and the colours were migraine inducing. Shame on you Thor.

Like Vampyre says, because I actually spent my hard earned paper round money on it, I at least tried to play it.

Another game that I owned and utterly hated was William Wobbler!!! My goodness what a godawful waste of Zeros and Ones which could have been put to much better use. Shame on you Wizard Computer Games (UK), yep, I'd never heard of them either.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

William Wobbler reminds me of that stupid character in Star Wars ep 1 whose name I don't want to remember...

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 pm William Wobbler reminds me of that stupid character in Star Wars ep 1 whose name I don't want to remember...

Yup, is that an atomic mushroom cloud in the background?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

MatGubbins wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 pm
Yup, is that an atomic mushroom cloud in the background?
It's actually the game designers soul being sent to eternal damnation for releasing this abomination :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Contact Sam Cruise wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:40 pm What was the best Spectrum football game? Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
Agree, much better than the overrated (although still decent) Microprose Soccer.

Talking about stinkers, yesterday I had a go at Hopper Copper, just to remember how appalling it was. A waste of tape, not even worth £1.99 (or 5,000 Lit.).
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Another one for "Voyage into the Unknown"!

I think this was about my third or fourth game and although you could say it was only £1.99, that was FOUR WEEKS POCKET MONEY to me back in 1985! I remember being torn between this, Spectipede and BMX Racers. My friend went for BMX Racers, I went for Voyage into the Unknown because the cover illustration looked really cool and the inlay made it sound amazing.
You are one of the last reamining Earthlings left alive after the
last Great War. Information has come to you that the forces of
the Death Star are amassing again to deliver the coup de grace
to Earth. Self preservation and the belief in the liberty of
mankind has forced you into a decision to find the Death Star and
destroy it. Having made your way to the local launch pad and
found a space ship ready for launch, you board. Unfortunately
your knowledge of space ships is minimal. Following the logical
course of switching on the engines, powering up and applying
ignition, you barely have time to strap yourself in before the
'g' forces thrust you harder into your seat.

History has told you that within the universe there is a crystal
capable of destroying the Death Star. The search is on. Should
you find the all powerful Crystal and locate the Death Star, your
mission depends on implanting the crystal and your personal
survival depends on the destruction of the guarding androids and
negotiating the Maze of Total Blackness
I got home, loaded it up and was faced with a screen that looked barely above something from Horizons.

Thankfully Firebird came along with screenshots, then Mastertronic followed!

I never did find the Maze of Total Blackness. Which I'm now presuming was just a black screen.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:58 am
Contact Sam Cruise wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:40 pm What was the best Spectrum football game? Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
Agree, much better than the overrated (although still decent) Microprose Soccer.
I've never really thought about this before but I'm surprised no-one's ever had a go at converting Sensible Soccer to the Speccy. The scrolling might be a bit iffy but those small sprites should be able to move around the screen fairly smoothly. Although I've only ever seen a video of it, the Speccy version of Kick Off (disregarding the horrendous attribute clash) actually looks like a fairly faithful conversion of the 16-bit original.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZqE60YYDw[/media]
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 pm William Wobbler reminds me of that stupid character in Star Wars ep 1 whose name I don't want to remember...

Jar Jar Binks?

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Aaargghh!

Don't remember that name! :x