Coincidence!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Coincidence!

Post by Einar Saukas »

Last edited by Einar Saukas on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Last edited by Einar Saukas on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Bingo!

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Bingo!

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

And the winner is...

ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 pm Bingo!
Spoiler

definitely not stolen! see, the second one is bigger, and he has glasses, and he is smiling! and more one-pixel details! nope, that's not it. no wai.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

I assume CGC entries don't count?

ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Lee P wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm I assume CGC entries don't count?
it would be too easy, i believe.

but you reminded me that i wanted to steal Starquake hero sprite! thank you! ;-)
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 am Image
Is the Nick Carter a game about the Backstreet Boys? :D
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am Image

A lot of those screens hint at a lack of graphical talent of some of those hoodlums. I find this example quite appaling because apart from the blatant art theft, this guy even made some very questionable changes to the attributes, like making the 8x8 grid so much more visible here and there (well, apart from the clouds, he got rid of them - fair enough). Especially the right-hand part of the red car - why on Earth make them blue? Did the blue for the miniskirt of the girl spill over onto the car and ground features? Also, the "yellowfication" of the blokes's head. Just looks crap. Then there are the white highlights on the car in select spots in the original that were supposed to show reflected sunlight - he just got rid of them, marvellous. And finally, what's with those two attribute cells made into black/red on the car, to the left of the girl's legs? What's the point, the red/yellow in the original was perfectly fine?
I can only assume the culprit had a b/w screen instead of colour to explain some of these changes, but generally they're just bad. Rant over 8-)
Last edited by XTM on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Firelord loading screen already posted :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

You can mention them here, but it's better to avoid adding them to the list in ZXDB. Otherwise it would be an incentive for CSSCGC authors to do it on purpose all the time, just to get into this list...
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm You can mention them here, but it's better to avoid adding them to the list in ZXDB. Otherwise it would be an incentive for CSSCGC authors to do it on purpose all the time, just to get into this list...
Interesting. I was actually searching for the game he posted on the SC search, and when I didn't find it I noticed the option "non-crap only" in Advanced so I turned it off, but still didn't find it. I guess most of the "crap" ones are not in the archive, but obviously there must be some in there, otherwise there would be no point in having that option. Is there some kind of cut-off point in time where you or someone else decided "nope, no more Crap games for the DB, but the ones already in there can stay"?

Edit: well, I guess there isn't a cut-off point as randomly skimming across the crap entries in the DB I've seen entries as recent as from 2023 ...

Edit 2: I think I misunderstood you there, I thought you meant the ZXDB with "the list", but I'm sure now you mean the "relations" list here: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/relations.php
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Yes, I just meant not adding CSSCGC entries to the relations list of adapted loading screens in ZXDB.

It would be within the spirit of CSSCGC to submit a loading screen combining pieces of 200 existing games just to drive me crazy :)
Last edited by Einar Saukas on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

XTM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 pm Interesting. I was actually searching for the game he posted on the SC search, and when I didn't find it I noticed the option "non-crap only" in Advanced so I turned it off, but still didn't find it.
You mean Travel with Pacman? It's there.
I guess most of the "crap" ones are not in the archive, but obviously there must be some in there, otherwise there would be no point in having that option. Is there some kind of cut-off point in time where you or someone else decided "nope, no more Crap games for the DB, but the ones already in there can stay"?
The vast majority of crap games are there, and new CGC entries are continually being added. What we have slowed up on (but loads are done), is adding screenshots and files for some of the older ones.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 pm

It would be within the spirit of CSSCGC to submit a loading screen combining pieces of 200 existing games just to drive me crazy :)
In the older CSSCGC there were challenges. This would be a nice challenge -Drive the admins crazy challenge-.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Speaking of games themselves, wasn’t there a game that purposefully repurposed sprites for its own game? I seem to remember it being Starquake like in terms of play. Did it feature Cybernoid sprites or something?

Or were the sprite designs coincidence?
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 pmYou mean Travel with Pacman? It's there.
Nope, I meant the one firelord posted. But the reason I didn't find it is because I did not search for the name "10D Bathroom Design" he posted, but instead searched for "Firelord" (as it was still visible in the loading screen) and only got the original game, not the crap one.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 pm There are a few more cases here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/relations.php

(look under "LOADING SCREEN ADAPTED FROM")
This list was updated, also including a few cases not mentioned in this thread (for instance Renegade).

Anything else?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Here's an interesting pair:

Battle City, 2017:

Zedex Tanks, 2023:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

It's not a coincidence when the same person creates a screen, and later decides to use it in a game!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:03 pm It's not a coincidence when the same person creates a screen, and later decides to use it in a game!
Sorry, I checked here and the artist isn't credited for the second game. I've found the credit now.