The best 'Special Edition' promo on a YS/Crash/SU covertape: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Special Edition promo on a YS/Crash/SU covertape: vote

Poll ended at Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 am

Cybernoid II: The Revenge (playable demo) by Hewson
20%
Dan Dare II: SU Edition by Virgin Games
16%
Dizzy 3 And A Half by Code Masters
12%
Lords Of Chaos (playable demo) by Blade Software
20%
Rex (playable demo) by Martech
20%
Seymour - Take One! by Code Masters
8%
Stormlord (playable demo) by Hewson
4%

Total votes: 25

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best 'Special Edition' promo on a YS/Crash/SU covertape: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Right, I am referring to Games That Are Like Playable Demos Yet Offer An Experience Fairly Exclusive From The Full Game.

Here we go, with these seven titles...

Cybernoid II: The Revenge (playable demo) by Hewson

Dan Dare II: SU Edition by Virgin Games

Dizzy 3 And A Half by Code Masters

Lords Of Chaos (playable demo) by Blade Software

Rex (playable demo) by Martech

Seymour - Take One! by Code Masters

Stormlord (playable demo) by Hewson
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Re: The best 'Special Edition' promo on a YS/Crash/SU covertape: vote

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Seymour Take One
2 Cybernoid 2
3 Dizzy 3 and a half
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

1. Lords of Chaos
2. Dan Dare 2
3. Cybernoid 2
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

I see, this is the "what do we call non-demo products on a tape" -- I am glad that my "promo" suggestion was used.

I voted for Diz 3.5 because that was an entire (mini)game to the extent that it actually introduced a new character to the franchise (Dizzy's brother/cousin/whatever "Danny"). It was a self-contained tiny Dizzy game, NOT something that said "you've solved level 1, now buy the product".

On the other hand: did I play the others, can I be sure? since they are outside the demo category. No. But anything with "playable demo" in the name is a whore, and that leaves Seymour (less interesting than Dizzy) and a Dan Dare hack, which I bet was arranged in a crazy phone call between -- oh, look, Wikipedia doesn't even say where SU was based. Presumably not Ludlow.

People usually drool over Rex (cause it looks and feels good; cf. Myth) but why is Dan Dare II winning? People need to provide a reason and not just hit the button.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

1) Dizzy 3.5 - Because it's Dizzy! A whole new (small) adventure. A new character who is never mentioned again. A somersaulting egg. What more could you want?

2) Seymour Take One - Because it's almost Dizzy. The loveable spud(?) in his own mini adventure. And you get to film a movie and actually watch it (something sadly lacking from the full game!). Honestly this could easily have been #1 but I just prefer Dizzy overall.

3) Rex. Because it was a cool game but rock hard and I could never get anywhere anyway so a tiny demo with different screens might as well be the full game.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

equinox wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 am I am glad that my "promo" suggestion was used.
Thanks for that one!
equinox wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 amWikipedia doesn't even say where SU was based. Presumably not Ludlow.
London - specifically Farringdon. A mile and a half away from YS's HQ when it was published by Dennis.
equinox wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 amwhy is Dan Dare II winning? People need to provide a reason and not just hit the button.
I don't understand Dan Dare II and the not-quite-a-demo persuaded me NOT to buy it. And I loved the first Dan Dare game.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Lots of nice stuff in here.

1. Cybernoid 2, obviously. I remember playing the demo and loved it. I probably don't have to explain why.
2. Rex. The demo was not as good as the real game, and it took me a while to get over that. Because it really did not made me want to get it.
3. Stormlord demo was really not very good. It's also completely different, with a different player character than the real game, and the gameplay was more straightforward than the official version. But it was the colourful graphics and smooth scrolling that eeks out over the other games.

As for the others:

Dan Dare 2. I'd like to love it but I never got past the first few screens.
Lords of Chaos. I remember completely not liking the game despite it being a Gollop game. Much later when I realised what the tactics were for this one, I started to liking it a bit more.
Seymour... Really short, this one.
Dizzy, can't remember much about it.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

1 Lords of Chaos
2 Cybernoid II
3 Rex

Wow, that’s a good selection. I never bought Rex, and should probably play it at some point. Those demos led me to buying the other two.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

AndyC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 am 1) Dizzy 3.5 - Because it's Dizzy! A whole new (small) adventure. A new character who is never mentioned again. A somersaulting egg. What more could you want?
A weird blobby amoeba thing with huge hands.
AndyC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 am 2) Seymour Take One - Because it's almost Dizzy. The loveable spud(?) in his own mini adventure. And you get to film a movie and actually watch it (something sadly lacking from the full game!). Honestly this could easily have been #1 but I just prefer Dizzy overall.
I never spoke.

Can't believe someone above is saying "I had Rex and never played it" though. Jesus, it's genre-defining. You had a pirate copy of MYTH like the rest of us, right? REX is basically MYTH except that retro nerds are more weepy about it. Line up and show your CD-ROM ownership tags.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Cybernoid 2
2. Seymour
3. Dizzy 3 and a half
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

1) Lords Of Chaos. The inferior sequel to The Greatest Game On Any System Ever, but that's fine, it's part of the Chaos canon and it's refreshing to have a 'linear' Chaos. I have similar feelings for games from the Rebelstar and Laser Squad universes.
2) Cybernoid II. I've been umming and erring about Rex, which is technically the best thing here. Such an enormous leap in graphics and 128K sound. I'm going for the Cybernoid II dem... er... promo, because I could actually experience quite a bit of it.
3) Rex. As hinted at above, I didn't get very far in this version. A shame, because it was technical genius.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:21 pm 1) Lords Of Chaos. The inferior sequel to The Greatest Game On Any System Ever, but that's fine, it's part of the Chaos canon and it's refreshing to have a 'linear' Chaos. I have similar feelings for games from the Rebelstar and Laser Squad universes.
2) Cybernoid II. I've been umming and erring about Rex, which is technically the best thing here. Such an enormous leap in graphics and 128K sound. I'm going for the Cybernoid II dem... er... promo, because I could actually experience quite a bit of it.
3) Rex. As hinted at above, I didn't get very far in this version. A shame, because it was technical genius.
Great minds Pete!
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I finished the Dan Dare II Special Edition back in the day. It took me a heck of a lot longer for the full game though.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right then, it's a three-way tie between Cybernoid II; Lords Of Chaos and Rex, each on five votes.

In second place we have Dan Dare II on four votes.

Then in third with have Dizzy 3 And A Half - three votes.

Seymour - Take One is fourth with two votes.

Finally, Stormlord got one vote to be fifth.

Can we break the deadlock with the proportional results to find a winner? We most certainly can!

Cybernoid II: The Revenge (playable demo) by Hewson 13
Lords Of Chaos (playable demo) by Blade Software 9
Seymour - Take One! by Code Masters 7
Dizzy 3 And A Half by Code Masters 5
Rex (playable demo) by Martech 5
Dan Dare II: SU Edition by Virgin Games 2
Stormlord (playable demo) by Hewson 1
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Thank you as always for these.

I suspected it would be a "close one" with two or three of the contenders in this.