Why didn't the Spectrum have an FPS?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Re: Why didn't the Spectrum have an FPS?

Post by Oloturia »

OK, it's not set in a "corridor" but in my opinion Sky Ranger has some FPS vibes.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Total Eclipse is first person and you can shoot by turning yourself OR via "aiming mode". You can shoot mummies, on occasion...
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
BiNMaN
Drutt

Post by BiNMaN »

my first thought was Catch 23, and joefish beat me to it :lol:

bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

BiNMaN wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 pm my first thought was Catch 23, and joefish beat me to it :lol:
There might also be Cholo, but no one is sure. There was a remake knocking about where the authors thought it a hidden gem.

sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

What about Tomahawk?
Ok, it's a flight simulator, but you have many elements that contribute to the FPS experience.
Like switching weapons, roaming a 3D world, a variety of targets, interaction (landing on a pad), maps and missions.

POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I'd insist that flight sims, and also assorted 90-degrees games don't really qualify as they're different genres (though some borderline cases like Zig Zag could maybe be called "proto" fps).

Catch 23 (and Cholo too) looks amazing, can't believe I've never heard of it before - and that it's not on any top 100 lists :oops:
_dw
Microbot

Post by _dw »

Z80 Forth compiler (ZX Spectrum 48kb): https://codeberg.org/DW0RKiN/M4_FORTH
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

I guess one reason it didn't have a 'proper' 3D FPS is because of the control method. You need one for movement of the person and one for the directions. Without a mouse, I can't see how this would work.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

SteveSmith wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 am I guess one reason it didn't have a 'proper' 3D FPS is because of the control method. You need one for movement of the person and one for the directions. Without a mouse, I can't see how this would work.
Nah, mouse was only needed for later, fully 3d fps games which had freelook, starting with Quake. But I remember many people (including myself) have played even Quake with keyboard in the beginning...force of habit :D

Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, etc could be easily played with WASD + strafe key, or gamepads (hence many successful console ports/clones of the latter).