Super Hang On is a bit overrated

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Spector
Drutt

Super Hang On is a bit overrated

Post by Spector »

I had never played this game before, and I don't think I missed too much. Don't get me wrong, it's really fast and looks very nice, but it's unfairly hard to the point of killing the addictiveness. On beginner mode I quickly got the stage three. A week of playing later, I was able to reach...stage three. The bends are so extreme it can only be completed as a severe memory test. Not only that, it's so unfair the way bikers bump into you from behind when you try to accelerate back to full speed after a crash. There's nothing you can do about it because you can't see them. Did anyone ever actually get to the end of the beginner course? How the hell did you do it??
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Super Hang On is a bit overrated

Post by Joefish »

Not really played it much. If it's any consolation the ST version is excellent!
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

I've always thought it was. I don't think it's that good. Enduro Racer is far better.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Though it was OK but yep, completely agree, Enduro Racer is way better...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I disagree with the above. Super Hang-on has better graphics, playability (you can even adjust the sensitivity of the bike) and is much longer and more varied. That's not to say Enduro Racer is bad, far from it; but to my experience, Super Hang-On is superior in every aspect, and one of the best coin-op conversions ever available on the Spectrum.

And yes, back in the day I got to the end of the beginner course (Africa). It was quite a feat though!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

WIWC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm Enduro Racer is far better.
I've not played Super Hang On enough to have a reliable opinion, but considering that Enduro Racer hasn't aged very well (in my opinion), that sentence makes me have an new view about Super Hang On...
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

It always surprised me that Enduro Racer (one of the best racing games on the Speccy) and Outrun (one of the worst) were by the same person. (I've not played either for years though).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SteveSmith wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:55 am Enduro Racer (one of the best racing games on the Speccy)
Nonsense. Clearly, Continental Circus is the best. :)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.