Poll: Ocean early games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Your fave Ocean early game?

Armageddon
16%
Cavelon
6%
Chinese Juggler
No votes
Digger Dan
No votes
Eskimo Eddie
3%
Frenzy
3%
Gillingan's Gold
19%
Hunchback
13%
Hunchback II
3%
kong
6%
Kong Strikes Back
No votes
Moon Alert
16%
Mr. Wimpy
6%
Pogo
6%
Pud Pud
No votes
Royal Birkdale Championship Golf
3%
Transversion
No votes

Total votes: 32

Wall_Axe
Dizzy

Re: Poll: Ocean early games

Post by Wall_Axe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 pm

is there a way of ordering search results by release date?
then I could just see all the screen shots at once to remind me of the games
0 x

Morkin
Berk

Post by Morkin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Went for Kong - not the best conversion in the world but the most playable. (After Krazy Kong by C-Tech of course). :lol:
0 x

blucey
Berk

Post by blucey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

From that lot my fave was Hunchback 2. However, playing that recently I realised it was a load old bollocks.

I did play a LOT of Gilligan's Gold. Never got past the first level. It was the original Dark Souls.
0 x

Mike Davies
Berk

Post by Mike Davies » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Out of that list, only played Moon Patrol back in the day. Played Armageddon recently and was surprised how good it was. Voted for the latter.
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Since I have played fewer than half of these games, and even those I have played have not been touched since the mid 1980s, I thought I would quickly play through them all.

I'll post short reviews below. Feel free to play along!

I'll be playing on an emulator on a touchscreen. I know that's as inauthentic as it gets, but that's all I have time for right now.
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm

ARMAGEDDON

I always liked the artwork on this one. The red sky, the strangely phoenix-shaped mushroom cloud... it all created quite an apocalyptic feel. By the standards of the day, it was pretty slick packaging.

The other thing to note before I get onto the game itself is the loading screen. All the Ocean games I have played from this time had variants of the same loading screen. To me it looks like a horizon and a number of roads. But I feel like I must be failing some sort of Rorschach test, because I have no idea what this has to do with Ocean.

The game starts with a funky menu, which is dragged across the screen by a matchstick man. The end sequence shows similar polish, with a large THE END message, destroyed by explosions. This might not sound impressive now, but in 1983 this was reasonably slick stuff.

In between is a competent and playable Missile Command clone. It's hard to play on a touchscreen, but it's pretty much as I remember it. I can see why I found it playable back in the day, especially with Kempston support.

Overall, a good game and so far I feel happy with it as my first choice.
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:01 pm

CAVELON

This one's from 1984 and it shows. It's much slicker. The loading screen, based on Bob Wakelin's art, is superb. The menus are polished. There is a cut scene at the start.

The game's nicely presented, with tidy graphics and a beepy in-game tune. The scrolling is a bit jerky, but this is the Speccy, after all. It's quite fun to play. Unusually it's reasonably playable on a touch screen. But it's too hard for me, just as it was back in the day (yes, that probably marks me out as a gaming dunce).

So the leaderboard is so far as I expected:

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon (not far behind)
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Microbot

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:53 am

Surprised Gilligan's Gold is winning!
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am

CHINESE JUGGLER

This is from the same period as Cavelon and has a similar loading screen replicating the cover art. That's a bit unfortunate, as its depiction of Chinese plate spinner would probably not be considered appropriate today.

This is the first of the games I have never played before. And sadly it stayed that way. No matter what control method I used, I could move but not perform any actions. Perhaps I am being thick, or there is a problem with the emulator I am using (Marvin). But I got nowhere with this one. From the demo I can see it is a passable Game-and-Watch-style game. The graphics are fine. The sound, though, is insanely annoying: a bleepy tune that runs non-stop through the game and menu. There is an option to disable it, though.

The new leaderboard:

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon
DNF - Chinese Juggler
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 am

Rorthron wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am
DNF - Chinese Juggler