Out Run - where the Spectrum fell short

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Out Run - where the Spectrum fell short

Post by PeteProdge »

5MinuteRetro wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:05 pm On Friday night, I'm off to Bury's Arcade Club, hopefully I can find an Out Run sit-down cabinet (I'll take the stand-up one)...
There's a sit-down cabinet there. Far right-hand corner from where you enter the third floor. I spent roughly 99.9% of my time playing it during my last visit. :)
Oh, cheers, massive thanks for this! I live 150 miles south of Arcade Club and this'll be my first visit. I'm bringing a friend, who'll be roped into being a cameraman. Fingers crossed the other arcade game I'm covering (episode 2) is there...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm I'm filming the final bits for this Out Run video this weekend, then it's all a case of editing it.
It didn't take this long to put Gone With The Wind together!

Any sign of the video heading this way or has it crashed and burned on the side of the road?
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Bizzley wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm I'm filming the final bits for this Out Run video this weekend, then it's all a case of editing it.
It didn't take this long to put Gone With The Wind together!
It takes that long to watch it!
Bizzley wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 pmAny sign of the video heading this way or has it crashed and burned on the side of the road?
I did write on Twitter that I'd have it out before Brexit happened. That was a little tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, I think that's the goal now.

Seriously though, I've ended up with a lot of my spare time being sapped away because I did four months of training to do a marathon for charity. Which I completed the other week.

The two things left to do for this video are...
  • Record the links in front of a green screen
  • Create/animate the titles and captions
Now, as I try to make things look as good as possible (I've spent over £3,000 on the camera/lights/sound equipment, another £1,000 on a PC and hard drive for editing), I'm not happy with the green screen results from Adobe Premiere or After Effects. It's on the right side of acceptable for a YouTube video, just a little fuzzy, but I aspire for TV quality where possible. And so the final piece of the jigsaw is to get a MacBook Pro to deliver a decent transparency. Thankfully I just got the money to do that this morning from a freelance job, so that'll be winging its way to me.

I realise I sound like I'm one of the people working on the delivery of the Spectrum Next. I don't want to big this up too much, but I find it important that I hit the ground running, rather than coming up with something that look liked it was filmed on a potato. I've done too much stuff in the past using domestic camcorders and a 'this'll do' attitude to recording takes.

The overall idea of Reheated Pixels is that it's low budget anyway, with the occasional gag thrown in. Kind of like Baddiel And Skinner's Fantasy Football League, but for old computer games. I don't want to emulate the look-and-feel of anything else from any other retrogaming YouTubers, but I've certainly been inspired by quite a few of the British ones. If I can get the silliness of Octavius Kitten, throw in the sardonic review style of ChinnyVision and then just pepper in a few factual revelations a la Larry Bundy Jr, then I'm happy.

*breathes in air through teeth*

Right, there's a bank holiday weekend coming up, then quite a few spare evenings to work on the titles/captions. I think I can get the first video out in early June, and then aim for a schedule where I put out two videos a month.

Oh, the filming at Bury's Arcade Club of the Out Run cabinet went okay. I was crap at playing it, but I'm pleased I have original footage of a hydraulic Out Run arcade game. One of my friends filmed the trip for his own YouTube channel here, so you can see me and him playing on old games.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

FFoulkes wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:41 pm Cool. You may want to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60lBZDEwJ8
Not the same algorithm (at all) and slightly buggy on the hills, but here's my efforts in BASIC:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzyVNmHpYsU[/media]
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Arrgh, I'm feeling seasick just watching that! Don't you think it would be better suited to a speedboat racing game? ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Incidentally, before anyone thinks I've given, I'm spending all my spare time this month to finishing the video, the vast majority is done.

I spewed out the Amstrad CPC section onto Twitter, to give a taster...

https://twitter.com/ReheatedPixels/stat ... 8177705984

I can assure you I spend quite a lot more time dissecting the Spectrum versions.

Hopefully this can be out by the end of next week, but don't take that as guaranteed. I'm still tinkering around...
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 pm Not the same algorithm (at all) and slightly buggy on the hills, but here's my efforts in BASIC:

Sorry... what? That's BASIC? Running on a Spectrum?! Surely not. I'm guessing I've missed something here...
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

5MinuteRetro wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:50 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 pm Not the same algorithm (at all) and slightly buggy on the hills, but here's my efforts in BASIC:

Sorry... what? That's BASIC? Running on a Spectrum?! Surely not. I'm guessing I've missed something here...
That's SpecBAS. It's (almost, about 95%) the same BASIC as you get in your speccy, but with more colours, higher resolution and a LOT more speed.

Edit: Not on a Spectrum, natch.

It's a fun side-project of mine.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 pm That's SpecBAS. It's (almost, about 95%) the same BASIC as you get in your speccy, but with more colours, higher resolution and a LOT more speed.

Edit: Not on a Spectrum, natch.

It's a fun side-project of mine.
Oh. I've clearly not been paying attention!
Retro stuff, real quick
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, after months of work, my YouTube channel goes live this evening, at around 6pm, with a documentary-style feature on Out Run...

I've spent the past week fuelled on energy drinks just to do the finishing touches. I'm quite pleased...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4CRIj ... nGkcZ3Kgvg

Both the Spectrum 48K and 128K versions feature in the video, and there are other Spectrum references elsewhere (especially as the MSX and Atari ST versions have a few things in common).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Swainy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:54 pm When is this video out then?
Here we go! 57 minutes of the debut Reheated Pixels review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zisP2ElBBb4
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Very cool. I'm approaching month-end, so it started buffering at 15 mins, but I was going to watch in shifts anyway.

The subject matter is not my thing but you've made a great job of it, especially with the background info like Iain Lee on Talk Radio...
Spoiler
...and the gags :-D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice work Prodge. Even though it has the best graphics of the main 3 playground 8bits, god the Amstrad version is just plain depressing. As you say, it goes to show how important the music is. I wonder why the Amstrad didn't have AY, especially given that both Speccy and CPC were done by Probe. That alone would have carried it to at least par with the Speccy & C64.

And we have a meme waiting to happen...

BTW - this might sound odd, and it might just be me, but the lighting makes your eyes look too glassy.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Very professional effort Pete, can see where the time and money went and when it's good it's fantastic, the production in that respect is excellent. BUT - needs 20-30 minutes worth of edits, and I'd leave the politics out entirely. Looking forward to the next one - subscribed.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

I've waited a long while for this, Pete. I loved it! My only real criticism is the odd bit of swearing. I'm not sure it adds much but means I'd be circumspect about letting my kids watch your channel - and they enjoy retro stuff.

And man, how slow were those stone tunnels on the Spec? It's amazing how much one's mind manipulates memories!
Retro stuff, real quick
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pm Very cool. I'm approaching month-end, so it started buffering at 15 mins, but I was going to watch in shifts anyway.
Yeah, it's quite a 'feature-length' thing. Someone told me I'd have been better off splitting it into three parts, and yes, I know 20-30 mins is the optimum length for a podcast or YouTube video. I just wanted to cram in as many versions that I have my hands on, get them all reviewed together. It's all about setting the tone for my future (and typically much shorter) videos.
R-Tape wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pmThe subject matter is not my thing but you've made a great job of it
Cheers. There are some retrogaming YouTubers who cover things I don't really care much for, but I have found myself watching them anyway because they bring something interesting out of them. Like [mention]chinnyhill10[/mention]'s ChinnyVision channel - he can make the dissection of an Amstrad em@iler amusing!
R-Tape wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pmespecially with the background info like Iain Lee on Talk Radio...
Oh yes, we've known each other online for the past three years and I have on occasion been on his late night show, usually ringing up after I've performed a comedy gig.

Back in the day when he was on the 11 O'Clock Show, I really didn't like him, but when I saw the Thumb Candy documentary on E4 (seriously brilliant look at the famous vintage video games and their creators), my view of him turned round 180 degrees!

I've benefited from his retweet this weekend, really happy about that.
Spoiler
R-Tape wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pm ...and the gags :-D
Oh, I was worried about how these would go down, as they're not exactly A-grade zingers that I'd open a stand-up spot with. With the retrogaming subject, jokes are going to be rather niche. And as this isn't a stand-up rehearsal, it gave me the freedom to expand out of the spoken word to do quickfire visual gags and other things that can't be put out as words into a microphone.
Here ends the spoiler about the spoiler!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pm Nice work Prodge. Even though it has the best graphics of the main 3 playground 8bits, god the Amstrad version is just plain depressing.
Definitely. Although I say the Spectrum wins on graphics, playing CPC Out Run is like a drive through Teletext-land. The Ferrari Testarossa on the Speccy, along with other vehicles and roadside 'furniture' are really nicely defined. Yeah, there's a lot of monochrome to deal with, but that rich resolution makes it a cut above the Duplo-brick world of the C64 version.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pmAs you say, it goes to show how important the music is.
Yep. Just as movies need music to set certain scenes, the same is true for games at times.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pmI wonder why the Amstrad didn't have AY, especially given that both Speccy and CPC were done by Probe. That alone would have carried it to at least par with the Speccy & C64.
Even if I played the Amstrad version with a Speccy 128K soundtrack dubbed on, I wouldn't rate it higher than the Speccy or C64. It would be less awful, but still at the bottom spot.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pmAnd we have a meme waiting to happen...
Oh yes, one of the deliberate moves to set up a 'constant' feature.

I won't be spewing out controversial opinions just for the sake of clicks, I sincerely believe in what I say. I do acknowledge that, sometimes, I go against the grain. (Don't get me started on Street Fighter 2.)
R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pmBTW - this might sound odd, and it might just be me, but the lighting makes your eyes look too glassy.
Ah, I have to concede you have a point there. I am VERY close to the camera and my lights. It's a cramped space (actually, not that cramped, but the small pop-up green screen doesn't cover much of an area) and the three-light set is meant for small rooms rather than a proper studio.

I'm more concerned that I filmed a lot of my links with a small bit of food on the side of my mouth, I really should have checked a mirror before sitting down!

Overall though, it needed the lighting, as green screening depends on a decent load of light. (Evidently, there's some fuzzy shadowing behind the table, which I will in future light with a portable spot.)

Many retrogaming YouTubers don't tend to light their videos that well. I'm in the fortunate position of having earned a lot of cash last year and early this year, from freelance work (which, in a catch 22 situation, delayed this video coming out). I spent a load of it on the camera, lights, autocue holder and a MacBook Pro. Already had the sound kit from previous work in corporate shoots.

I wanted to make this as close to TV-quality as I could. I think I've nearly achieved that.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pm Very professional effort Pete, can see where the time and money went and when it's good it's fantastic, the production in that respect is excellent. BUT - needs 20-30 minutes worth of edits,
Ah, at an hour long, it's quite a way over the optimum you'd expect of an online retrogaming review. It's down to me wanting to kick off with a very prolific game and setting the tone for the channel. 17 versions is a huge amount to cover and it'll be an exception when I go anywhere near this level of coverage again.

The plan is to showcase some overlooked gems. Being a bit skint as a family in the 1980s, I didn't get much in the way of full price, so I was always throwing my weekly pocket money on stuff from Mastertronic and Code Masters.

One of the biggest inspirations to become a retrogaming YouTuber, is [mention]chinnyhill10[/mention]. He's an Amstrad user from back in the day, and his ChinnyVision channel usually covers the kind of games I had, across almost all their versions. He doesn't show bias to the CPC, he gives everything a fair hearing.

I'm trying to get typical Reheated Pixels episodes covering about 2-5 versions at the most, although, it should be pointed out that my next review is covering Double Dragon, a high-profile arcade game that has at least 11 home versions. It won't be an hour long, but yeah, it's gonna be lengthy. A Mastertronic effort is after that, which should be at the more manageable and sensible level (Speccy, C64 and Amstrad at least).
DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pmI'd leave the politics out entirely.
I didn't think I put in anything political other than the animated Brexit gag (which took about six hours to produce for all of its five seconds on screen), but, having gone back through the video this morning (to get subtitles added to YouTube), I can see I've made a couple of digs at British right-wing politicians. Not enough to make it feel saturated with politics, but yeah, I can see your point. And I don't want to come across like I'm fully on the side of the left and be all uncritical of their failings...

These are simply jokes I thought of at the time to fit what was on screen. Like others, I tend to record some footage of my game-playing, then write my script around that.
DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pmLooking forward to the next one - subscribed.
Cheers, every subscription is very much appreciated. I'm never gonna make the YouTube $$$ out of this, but I'm going to have fun.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

5MinuteRetro wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:38 pmI've waited a long while for this, Pete. I loved it! My only real criticism is the odd bit of swearing. I'm not sure it adds much but means I'd be circumspect about letting my kids watch your channel - and they enjoy retro stuff.
Ah, I've reigned in my swearing quite a bit over the past few years. I try to avoid the sexual swear words, usually self-censoring when I need to use them.

As it stands, the Out Run video has four s---s and a bleeped-out f-bomb. That's probably a 12 or 12A rating by BBFC standards.

My 11-year-old nephew was one of the first subscribers. (Not sure why, he's really into Minecraft and Fortnite. I got him an Odroid for Christmas and he liked playing some of the 8-bit cartridge console and 8-bit hand-held games through that, but is always on his PlayStation 4.)
5MinuteRetro wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:38 pmAnd man, how slow were those stone tunnels on the Spec? It's amazing how much one's mind manipulates memories!
Yeah, watching it all back this morning, I think I do go on too much about the stone tunnels in most of the versions.

It needed bringing up on the Speccy, I couldn't let that slide. I love this platform, but I can't lie that Out Run was fairly appalling on it. Commodore - whisper it - did better.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:39 pm Ah, I have to concede you have a point there. I am VERY close to the camera and my lights. It's a cramped space (actually, not that cramped, but the small pop-up green screen doesn't cover much of an area) and the three-light set is meant for small rooms rather than a proper studio.
I wanted to make this as close to TV-quality as I could. I think I've nearly achieved that.
Yep. I can enjoy naff home vids or highly polished stuff; I'd file yours under the latter.
I'm more concerned that I filmed a lot of my links with a small bit of food on the side of my mouth, I really should have checked a mirror before sitting down!
I have to say that I wondered! Not a big deal, at least you didn't have egg on your chin (in either sense).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm
Yep. I can enjoy naff home vids or highly polished stuff; I'd file yours under the latter.
Aw, cheers. Nice to know that people outside of IBM and Juniper Networks can appreciate my video work!
R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm
I have to say that I wondered! Not a big deal, at least you didn't have egg on your chin (in either sense).
I did think about trying to claim it's just a cold sore. I don't know if that's worse! And anyway, I realised by the third shooting session (where I did the inlay-based intro and the reviews summary) and wiped it away.