The best classic Speccy game beginning with X: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with X: vote

Poll ended at Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 am

X & O
No votes
X-mas Ludo
No votes
X-Maze
No votes
X-Out
3%
XOR
6%
Xadom
3%
Xanagrams
No votes
Xanthuis
No votes
Xarax
No votes
Xark
No votes
Xarq
3%
Xavior
3%
Xcel
6%
Xecutor
9%
Xen
No votes
Xeno
41%
Xeno II
No votes
Xenon
9%
Xenophobe
No votes
Xevious
12%
Xirious
No votes
Xinit
No votes
XMas
3%
Xo-word
No votes
Xonix
No votes
Xreversy
No votes
Xword
No votes
Xword!
No votes
Xybots
3%

Total votes: 34

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with X: vote

Post by Vampyre »

Xeno for me. Not played many of the others really. I guess Xenon might have been released too far into the Speccy's life and the majority of us missed it back in the day? Can't say I've ever even fired it up in an emulator. Looking at a YT vid, it does look very polished.

EDIT: It was released in '88 - thought it was 90 at least! Sadly I was leaving the Speccy behind at that time.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Only horrible persons don't vote for XOR.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hey people, why are you voting for some Xeno? What's that and what's so special about it? ;)

I voted for Xecutor. I believe I spent the most time with it, compared to other titles from the list. It's a decent,
colourful, fluent scrolling shootemup that I have good memories of.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

...Something tells me we might not need a tiebreak this time...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Went for Xeno as it’s the only one I every played BITD.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Voted for Xadom, I enjoy playing it from time to time even though I have no idea what you have to do.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Ralf wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm Hey people, why are you voting for some Xeno? What's that and what's so special about it? ;)
In my opinion, nothing special about it really; a decent game compared to the average bunch in the list (that I've played).
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

Ralf wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm Hey people, why are you voting for some Xeno? What's that and what's so special about it? ;)
I think Xeno has a flaw, which is that once you learn how to play, it becomes quite easy to win. But while you're learning it, it's incredibly fun.

And I ended up voting for it because it's quite unique. Xecutor, X-Out or Xenon (which I also considered) are good SHMUPs, but there are lots of SHMUPs out there.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Finally a letter that doesn't have a zillion games.

My vote is XOR! It doesn't look great and it has some serious design flaws (a puzzle game where you have to line things up precariously, but the screen doesn't scroll until you hit the very edge? THANKS!!) -- but the levels are intensely clever, made by some nerdy mathematician or other. It is an excellent game and improving the sound and graphics wouldn't significantly make a difference to that.

My *actual* vote is Xcel because I clicked it before remembering that XOR existed, bc I'm a ****ing genius. But yeah, Xcel had a crazy cool tape loader (remember that? it changed stripe colours two or three times and whipped your eye with a high-pitched turboload scream as that mysterious blue-black spacescape appeared -- you thought, sh*t! BOY! this game is going to be good!). It was really style over substance, because when the game had loaded you had the rotating planet and the shifting metal bars but the game was really sort of Space Invaders with walls.

I tried to do an RZX recording of Xcel, thinking it would be easy with rollback, but IT'S NOT, because there's a secret time limit and you mysteriously die without warning after the time expires. I think you have to guess which planet to visit out of like 100 planets...? wtf? can anyone beat this stupid game?