Things you never knew about Bubble Bobble

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Things you never knew about Bubble Bobble

Post by equinox »

There are a lot of things you never knew about Bubble Bobble, like the fact that the weird dark blue inverted medicine bottle thing is supposed to be an ice lolly (I think?) and -- FOCUS, EQUINOX, FOCUS.

Okay, here is my question. If you turn on your Speccy and hit Caps Lock and then load Bubble Bobble, it looks all freaky and weird, and the bubbles have a sort of "square mask" on them. Why is this?

It's fascinating to me because back in the day I had a Speccy and a Beeb and I got into the habit of turning on Caps Lock because that's what the Beeb does (in fact it doesn't understand BASIC keywords in lower case!). But what does that mean on a Spectrum? You're doing POKE 23658,8, you are basically changing *one single bit in memory* -- and this breaks Bubble Bobble? How and why?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Things you never knew about Bubble Bobble

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sorry, I can’t reproduces this. I tried various releases on all machines and leaving the caps lock on before the load doesn’t make any difference. Am I missing something?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Things you never knew about Bubble Bobble

Post by PeteProdge »

ACE magazine had a cover-mounted cassette which had a playable demo of Bubble Bobble for ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 users (and possibly Amstrad, if my memory serves me right).

The demo lets you play the first five levels. It nearly ended up accidentally being the full game, but a last minute testing by an ACE member of staff realised the mistake and alerted the tape duplicators.

Apparently, the Commodore 64 demo does have all the data for the 100 levels, it's just programmed to stop after level 5.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!