240p test suite equivalent for zx spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
fenderjaguar
Drutt

240p test suite equivalent for zx spectrum

Post by fenderjaguar »

say I want to adjust some settings on my Trinitron CRT, is there a decent test pattern program on the Spectrum for doing that?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: 240p test suite equivalent for zx spectrum

Post by Ast A. Moore »

For geometry adjustments, I usually draw a circle in BASIC and set the border to black. For colors, if you’re on a 128K machine, you can just power it on while holding the BREAK key. This will bring up a color bar test screen. You can easily reproduce it (or create a similar pattern) in BASIC on a 48K Spectrum.

The rest should be handled on a case by case basis. For example, you could set the border and paper to black and use some bright white text to set up your contrast and brightness levels so that it doesn’t produce horizontal streaking.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
fenderjaguar
Drutt

Post by fenderjaguar »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pmFor colors, if you’re on a 128K machine, you can just power it on while holding the BREAK key. This will bring up a color bar test screen
all these years of owning this computer, and I never knew about it! Thanks.

I don't know the commands to draw a circle and border in +3 basic, but I'll read the +3 manual, I'm sure it's in there somewhere
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

fenderjaguar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm I don't know the commands to draw a circle and border in +3 basic
Try something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

10 BORDER 0
20 CIRCLE 127,88,86
It breaks down like this: CIRCLE x-coord,y-coord,radius
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.