Notable 'Construction Kit' games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Notable 'Construction Kit' games

Post by PeteProdge »

A big holy grail for me was to be able to edit Boulder Dash. The Boulder Dash IV Construction Kit allowed me to do just that. A lot of nice features, with the growing amoeba and the ways rocks could be converted into jewels...

This one's sadly under the radar for most Speccy gamers, the War Cars Construction Set was a great budget title from Firebird. This gave you the feel of Scalextric without taking up floorspace.

You could create your own standalone loadable game through Players's Skateboard Construction System, right down to the sprites and background graphics. Just about everything was customisable.

The granddaddy of them all, has to be Kikstart 2. A fantastic side-viewed racer with split-screen competition. It's already great without the level editor, but the fact you can tinker around and throw in masses of ramps, phone boxes and things like that, makes it a truly superb title.

Those are mine, what are yours?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
blucey
Manic Miner

Re: Notable 'Construction Kit' games

Post by blucey »

I enjoyed Championship Sprint.

I had Molecule Man and that had an editor. The game was super gash though.
Spud
Manic Miner

Re: Notable 'Construction Kit' games

Post by Spud »

I also enjoyed Championship Sprint. I think that very naughty boy’s Steel Yard Blues had an editor if I remember correctly and that made it great fun as it was quite similar to Manic Miner and I always wanted to be able to make my own Manic Miner type of game. The only other I remember using was Big Ben Strikes Again, it was a rather short game but had more replay value as a result.