The best classic Speccy game beginning with W: 2nd tie-breaker vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with W: 2nd tie-breaker vote

Poll ended at Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Way Of The Exploding Fist, The by Melbourne House
48%
Where Time Stood Still by Ocean
52%

Total votes: 56

Fahnn
Microbot

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with W: 2nd tie-breaker vote

Post by Fahnn »

PeteProdge wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:11 pm
DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:09 pm I see they are even again. Just close the thread here and accept they are both equally loved by different people for different reasons. Both great games.
Nope, never! We must have a winner, in this entirely fairly-set competitive race.

Looks like I'll be playing both tonight and then probably casting a vote tomorrow, just before the poll ends, to break any deadlock.

(Although, at time of writing it is 51% in WTSS's favour.)
There's recently been precedent for this in the House of Commons. The Speaker gets a casting vote, and one of the recent Brexitty votes was at something like 308 against -309 for after the MPs had voted. He said that he had to vote 'for', because if he'd voted 'against' then it would have tied the vote. His argument was that the Speaker's role should only ever be mediator, not influencer.

I'm not sure this has any relevance to the current situation at all, really, but I've typed it now, so...there you are.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Fahnn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:11 pm Nope, never! We must have a winner, in this entirely fairly-set competitive race.

Looks like I'll be playing both tonight and then probably casting a vote tomorrow, just before the poll ends, to break any deadlock.

There's recently been precedent for this in the House of Commons. The Speaker gets a casting vote, and one of the recent Brexitty votes was at something like 308 against -309 for after the MPs had voted. He said that he had to vote 'for', because if he'd voted 'against' then it would have tied the vote. His argument was that the Speaker's role should only ever be mediator, not influencer.

I'm not sure this has any relevance to the current situation at all, really, but I've typed it now, so...there you are.
I come here to get away from politics! :lol:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Fahnn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:11 pm Nope, never! We must have a winner, in this entirely fairly-set competitive race.

Oh, I'm mainly a mediator for these polls, but I'm quite open about my choices too. And I don't fix things. After all, Chase HQ beat Chaos, which I consider an utter outrage. I'd like to fix it so that Chaos is the rightful winner, but there you go.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

50/50 right now

[mention]PeteProdge[/mention] , choose wisely before voting, but remember:

"karate is not here
*points at heart*
nor here
*points at stomach*
but here
*points at head*

*mystic tune*
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

And don't forget, Peter-San:

Wax on
Wax off

etc
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I just voted for WTSS.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Finally, the true winner earns its rightly-deserved triumph over the C64 conversion.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Well I voted for Fist but TBH I'm just glad the deadlock has finally been broken..

Now just the number poll to be re-run, and then it's done..!
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

It's done???

I thought we were going to start more polls, like best company, best genre, ... :mrgreen:
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

... best poll ... ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Morkin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm Well I voted for Fist but TBH I'm just glad the deadlock has finally been broken..
That's right - Where Time Stood Still wins the W round! Only just though.

Incidentally I didn't have to use my vote, so I didn't. And in case you were wondering, it would be for Where Time Stood Still. I did give the games a try, and I don't really get on with the controls in The Way Of The Exploding Fist. I'm not a fan of one-on-one fighting games anyway (don't get me started on the post-Speccy era where Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat dominated gaming, ugh) but have always enjoyed Yie Ar Kung Fu and I remember Uchi Mata being really good. If either of those two were facing off against WTSS (in some bizarre universe where they begin with the letter W), then my vote would be different.
Morkin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pmNow just the number poll to be re-run, and then it's done..!
Just about to start the new number poll, that's gonna go on for 7 days, and then next Sunday, we're gonna have the 'poll of polls'. Finding out the best games from all 27 winners of each letter.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!