The best classic Speccy game beginning with #: re-run vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with #: re-run vote

Poll ended at Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:07 pm

10th Frame by US Gold
3%
11-a-Side Soccer by Code Masters Gold
No votes
180 by Mastertronic Added Dimension
42%
19 Part One: Boot Camp by Cascade Games
No votes
1942 by Elite
17%
1943 by Go!
No votes
1984 by Incentive Software
No votes
1985 - The Day After by Mastertronic
No votes
1994 - Ten years After by Visions Software Factory
No votes
20 Tons by Spectrum Computing
3%
2088 by Zeppelin Games
No votes
2112AD by Design Design Software
No votes
3 Deep Space by Postern
No votes
3D Monster Maze by JK Greye Software
8%
3D Painter by CDS Microsystems
No votes
3D Seiddab Attack by Hewson Consultants
6%
3D Space-Wars by Hewson Consultants
No votes
3D-Tanx
8%
3DC by Hit-Pak
3%
4 Minute Warning by Magination Software
3%
4x4 Off Road Racing by US Gold
No votes
720 Degrees by US Gold
6%
911 TS by Elite
3%

Total votes: 36

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with #: re-run vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Nick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm I voted for 180, looks like there's going to be a nail biting finish to this poll. :D
Good on ya. I have an argument that there a few budget games that are full price quality. A fair bit of Mastertronic's 1986-87 output reached that high, 180 being one of the titles.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Missing from the poll is "1999" (by the same kids who wrote "Astroball"), a savagely unfair space scroll-and-shooter. Did anyone play this? There's a section where you have to dodge up and down to avoid an incredibly fast sequence of oncoming walls. A bit like "Flappy Bird" if the bird were launched out of a cannon. Flappy angry bird.

Anyway none of them begin with #. What about #MeToo Land Dizzy, where the hapless egg is accused of having white privilege, and yolk privilege

I'll get my coat
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

equinox wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pm Missing from the poll is "1999" (by the same kids who wrote "Astroball"), a savagely unfair space scroll-and-shooter. Did anyone play this? There's a section where you have to dodge up and down to avoid an incredibly fast sequence of oncoming walls. A bit like "Flappy Bird" if the bird were launched out of a cannon. Flappy angry bird.
Good shout, but, alas, if it's not mentioned in the discussion period (the 7 days before the poll is instigated), it doesn't make it.

I can vaguely remember it. It's a bit like a primitive R-Type or Gradius. This video has the 'Flappy Bird' bit at two minutes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7b57EpbVM4
equinox wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pmAnyway none of them begin with #. What about #MeToo Land Dizzy, where the hapless egg is accused of having white privilege, and yolk privilege
Well, that concern came about in late 2017, which is far too late to be considered for the Speccy's 'classic' period (pretty much the time when mainstream shops sold Spectrum games). I did like the bit where you had to defeat the ridiculous orange American president though. Spoiler: You put poison in the McDonald's closest to the White House.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

I know you're lying because the Spectrum can't do orange.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Well, it seems we know the winner of this poll.

I can't wait to next poll, the mother of all polls! :D
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

equinox wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 am I know you're lying because the Spectrum can't do orange.
Er, think again...

See, that's the President of the United States. And he would never tell a lie.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

I'm sad that there is literally nowhere on the Internet, even a place that is dedicated to a 1980s British computer, that doesn't devolve into American politics and Trump shittery. But well done Pete, you posted a lolzworthy meme! HAW ! HAW ! ORANGE MAN ! Good one.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

equinox wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am I'm sad that there is literally nowhere on the Internet, even a place that is dedicated to a 1980s British computer, that doesn't devolve into American politics and Trump shittery. But well done Pete, you posted a lolzworthy meme! HAW ! HAW ! ORANGE MAN ! Good one.
Trump fan eh? Reckon you're in a minority here.

I thought it was funny. Got his style pretty much spot-on.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm Voted for 911TS, by the way. One of those crap Elite games I played a lot back in the day.
Well, I didn't think Elite did a really good game up until Commando- but then I thought, I tried and tried with Airwolf, and Kokotoni Wilf was alright for a bit. Bomb Jack was pretty good too, (which was, without looking, pre-Commando I think), so maybe I'm wrong?

Getting back O/T, I didn't vote originally, so I will throw my hat in with 1942, a decent shmup, and pretty much (oddly) the only one I played back in the day - also by Elite. :)
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm Voted for 911TS, by the way. One of those crap Elite games I played a lot back in the day.
Well, I didn't think Elite did a really good game up until Commando- but then I thought, I tried and tried with Airwolf, and Kokotoni Wilf was alright for a bit. Bomb Jack was pretty good too, (which was, without looking, pre-Commando I think), so maybe I'm wrong?

Getting back O/T, I didn't vote originally, so I will throw my hat in with 1942, a decent shmup, and pretty much (oddly) the only one I played back in the day - also by Elite. :)
Elite were the worst. It was like a badge of dishonour. If Elite released it, you knew that it wasn't even worth copying.

Commando, and then Bomb Jack bucked the trend, but I think they were flukes. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 am I can't wait to next poll, the mother of all polls! :D
...followed by the official inquest into why Dynamite Dan got nowt.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

R-Tape wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 am I can't wait to next poll, the mother of all polls! :D
...followed by the official inquest into why Dynamite Dan got nowt.
All these polls have left several inquiries to be made. Amazing games that got one vote or even zero votes. :roll:

Why not made a poll with all these games?

Ok, ok, I'm leaving...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Well, they were not that bad, IMHO. Not the best graphics it can be made, but good gameplay. Before Commando/Bomb Jack, they made interesting games like Kokotoni Wilf, Frank Bruno's, Airwolf, Roller Coaster, Grand National, ... even The Fall Guy or The Dukes of Hazzard, being the crappiest ones, they have 'something' that made me play them a lot.