Bug in Bruce Lee

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Bug in Bruce Lee

Post by Alessandro »

I came across this old, recently reopened, thread on the WoS forum mentioning a bug in Bruce Lee.

Bruce cannot go down ladders if he didn't climb them from bottom to top previously. He would simply lie down.

All single game files available except for the Erbe re-release (normal, not small case) show this bug. Compilations include the corrected version of the game save for They Sold A Million II (I could not test Spectrum Stingers because it cannot be distributed).

A quick exam of two SNA snapshots from the original release TZX file and the Erbe re-release TZX file show a lot of differences between the code of both versions. It seems an issue that cannot be corrected by a bunch of POKEs.
Fahnn
Microbot

Re: Bug in Bruce Lee

Post by Fahnn »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:02 am I came across this old, recently reopened, thread on the WoS forum mentioning a bug in Bruce Lee.

Bruce cannot go down ladders if he didn't climb them from bottom to top previously. He would simply lie down.

All single game files available except for the Erbe re-release (normal, not small case) show this bug. Compilations include the corrected version of the game save for They Sold A Million II (I could not test Spectrum Stingers because it cannot be distributed).

A quick exam of two SNA snapshots from the original release TZX file and the Erbe re-release TZX file show a lot of differences between the code of both versions. It seems an issue that cannot be corrected by a bunch of POKEs.
I honestly thought that the lying down at the top of ladders thing was intentional? It's an easy enough game already (probably the only game that is easier to complete than not) and if you could climb down the ladders at will, it would make it even easier!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Fahnn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm I honestly thought that the lying down at the top of ladders thing was intentional? It's an easy enough game already (probably the only game that is easier to complete than not) and if you could climb down the ladders at will, it would make it even easier!
That seems illogical: why would Bruce be able to go down a ladder only after he's gone all the way up to it?

I made a TAP file of the Erbe release with Lerm Tape Utility D for modern card-based interfaces or emulators that do not support the TZX format. Just press ENTER when the loading screen appears and off you go.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:55 pmThat seems illogical: why would Bruce be able to go down a ladder only after he's gone all the way up to it?

I made a TAP file of the Erbe release with Lerm Tape Utility D for modern card-based interfaces or emulators that do not support the TZX format. Just press ENTER when the loading screen appears and off you go.
Oh, I agree it's pretty nonsensical, it's just that I never questioned the behaviour at the time (and looking at the contemporary reviews, nor did anyone else) so just assumed it was meant to be that way.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

No wonder the game seems so easy. I just checked the snapshot I had and it looks like it was the Erbe version. I'll have to try completing it "for real" now.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Well, I finished it and it was still just as easy as the Erbe version. However, the ladder bug isn't the only difference between the two versions. In the original release you can't go down on downwards waterfalls (you just crouch), while in the Erbe release you can.

Also this projectile shooter on the left side of the screen doesn't appear in the Erbe release for some reason:

I wonder what other stuff they might have changed.