The best classic Speccy game A-Z POLL OF POLLS

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game A-Z POLL OF POLLS

Poll ended at Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Atic Atac by Ultimate
2%
Bomb Jack by Elite
2%
Chase HQ by Ocean
2%
Deathchase by Micromega
2%
Exolon by Hewson
2%
Fairlight by The Edge
No votes
Great Escape, The by Ocean
10%
Hobbit, The by Melbourne House
2%
Into The Eagle's Nest by Pandora
No votes
Jetpac by Ultimate
No votes
Knight Lore by Ultimate
12%
Lords Of Midnight, The by Beyond
No votes
Manic Miner by Bug Byte/Software Projects
20%
Nebulus by Hewson
No votes
Operation Wolf by Ocean
2%
Pyjamarama by Mikro-Gen
4%
Quazatron by Hewson
6%
R-Type by Electric Dreams
6%
Skool Daze by Microsphere
14%
Target Renegade by Imagine
10%
Underwurlde by Ultimate
2%
Valhalla by Legend
No votes
Where Time Stood Still by Ocean
No votes
Xeno by A 'n' F Software
No votes
Yie Ar Kung-Fu by Imagine
No votes
Zynaps by Hewson
2%
180 by Mastertronic
2%

Total votes: 51

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: The best classic Speccy game A-Z POLL OF POLLS

Post by Ast A. Moore »

AndyC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm There was just something else about the Dizzy titles (and yes I'll admit the first one has some issues) that very little else ever quite managed to replicate. I don't think I can really put a finger on it: maybe it was the graphical style, the feeling of a cohesive world or just that "I can definitely get further next time" sensation. Even the various clones that came later (excepting Slightly Magic and the Seymour adventures, which felt like a continuation of sorts) somehow just didn't quite get the right feel and just felt poor in comparison.
I second that. I happened to miss the first Dizzy game and began my acquaintance with the character with Treasure Island Dizzy. A damn brilliant game it was.

I think the Oliver twins learned a great deal from the original game and managed to address all the issues at once already in the next release. By the third, the game was virtually perfected, so much so, in fact, that everything after it was basically a variation on the theme (no criticism here). I think there’s no one aspect that makes these games great. It’s a combination of great graphics—in both the concept and implementation, thought out controls, good story and dialogs, discoverability, accessible humor, and a true sense of adventure (if a cartoony one). Even more importantly, I believe the Dizzy games represent the best—and arguably most creative—way of turning Speccy’s technical limitations into a defining look-and-feel: few other games make better use of the flip-screen paradigm.

I, too, was never into Skool Daze or Pyjamarama. Never figured out what all the fuss was about. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy, either.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 pm I, too, was never into Skool Daze or Pyjamarama. Never figured out what all the fuss was about. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy, either.
Jodo
Drutt

Post by Jodo »

I never played the original Dizzy either and might have voted Treasure Island Dizzy here had it got through. The sense of adventure as a ten year old kid was the equivalent to Tomb Raider a decade later for me. It was that good!

The single life was a bummer but I've accepted the Oliver twins' later apology for that (given their reasons, lol) and that it was a budget title!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 pm I, too, was never into Skool Daze or Pyjamarama. Never figured out what all the fuss was about. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy, either.
“Look, Dave, I can see you’re really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.”

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

Some might think I was trolling in calling Dizzy a flickery mess. I wasn't. Had it been released in 1984 it could probably have been forgiven, but in 1987, given all the graphical advances that had been made by that point? Dizzy was just amateurish, the sort of thing that a magazine would have given away on a covertape.

Obviously - as so many people seem to love it - it must have something to it that I missed at the time, so I've just downloaded it and played it for a bit to get a reminder.

Nah, it's still crap. OK, I'll be fair. It's still ordinary. And seriously, the flicker is terrible. It's like when I first played Ah Diddums, I wondered at first whether the flicker on the main character was supposed to be some sort of an effect, but then I figured out it was just because the programmer wasn't competent enough to eliminate it.

Played it a bit more now. Some of the graphics are quite nice. But it's unreal how much it slows down when there's more than one thing on the screen, even if that thing is a static object. I mean, how could they have been satisfied with that? And it's astonishingly sparse in terms of gameplay. There aren't even any enemies and the things to be avoided are so trivial that they might as well not be there at all.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I voted for Manic Miner in the end as I've recently been playing it a lot again, although it was a tough choice as I've also played The Great Escape recently and Skool Daze is one of my favourites also.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I also voted for Manic Miner as I've spent by far the longest playing it out of all the games in this poll. It's simply perfection.

I do feel a bit sorry for Zynaps however with zero votes. I gave it another go recently and it was surprisingly addictive.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

djnzx48 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am I also voted for Manic Miner as I've spent by far the longest playing it out of all the games in this poll. It's simply perfection.

I do feel a bit sorry for Zynaps however with zero votes. I gave it another go recently and it was surprisingly addictive.
Zynaps is indeed a great game and one of the last games that I had on my +2 in '87. Even playing it today it still feels like a great shmup.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

stupidget wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:34 am
djnzx48 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am I also voted for Manic Miner as I've spent by far the longest playing it out of all the games in this poll. It's simply perfection.

Zynaps is indeed a great game and one of the last games that I had on my +2 in '87. Even playing it today it still feels like a great shmup.
I played it for the first time this past weekend, as I had to capture footage for those animated GIFs. I'm very surprised at how good Zynaps is. Like a 50fps R-Type.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The only game from the list that has stood the test of time for me is Target: Renegade. I launch it form time to time and kick some serious butt.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Currently, Knight Lore, Skool Daze and Target Renegade leading the poll with 5 votes each. I foresee a new poll with these (maybe another game more) to break the draw. Interesting :mrgreen:
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Went for The Great Escape in the end although Manic Miner, Pyjamarama, Skool Daze, Target Renegade and WTSS are also big favourites of mine.

I'm just glad that Chaos, Dragonia, The New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands didn't win their respective polls as that would have made my choice even more difficult to make.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I went with Quazatron in the end. Though now I'm wondering if I was just overly nostalgic after reading the Retro Gamer article on Paradroid the other day. It was a game I constantly went back to though, despite never actually getting very far.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

AndyC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:14 pm I went with Quazatron in the end. Though now I'm wondering if I was just overly nostalgic after reading the Retro Gamer article on Paradroid the other day. It was a game I constantly went back to though, despite never actually getting very far.
I absolutely love Quazatron, but - and this might seem like a weird rationale - couldn't vote for it because Paradroid on the C64 is quite obviously a better game (and is possibly my favourite game on any platform). Pretty much every aspect is better, but most particularly the sound, it's so atmospheric. The Spectrum could never compete with that.

Realise I might have to go into hiding after this comment, but I'll stand by it.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Nah, the ability to steal bits of robots and build your own custom one makes Quazatron stand out head and shoulders above Paradroid. And the 3D isometric perspective was just much cooler.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

This is indeed crazy - Knight Lore should be way behind Head Over Heels, but that was beaten out by The Hobbit, which now no-one is voting for! Madness!
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

AndyC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 pm Nah, the ability to steal bits of robots and build your own custom one makes Quazatron stand out head and shoulders above Paradroid. And the 3D isometric perspective was just much cooler.
Agree on the first, that was a genuine improvement but completely disagree on the second. The 3D environment threw away one of the best bits of the original game, i.e. the separation of the decks into rooms. Having the robots hidden until you were in the same space made it all so much more tense, you never knew what would be lurking in there. Paradroid has a really unique atmosphere, quite unlike anything else. I'm not dissing Quazatron, it's a brilliant game and I played it loads. It's equivalent but ultimately not quite as good.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

No, Target Renegade, really? Going around smashing heads with a hammer? Come on, I thought we knew better than this.
I'd expect AMERICAN CULTURE-FILLED COMMODORE FAN BOYS to vote for such brainless macho stuff lacking the slightest bit of fantasy or originality or cuteness.

And while we're there, I'd like to express my disgust with Quentin Tarantino.

I'd like to see a movie based on Zythum.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

WIWC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm I'd like to see a movie based on Zythum.
Hear, hear! Should John Rhys-Davies play the protagonist?

WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 pm
WIWC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm I'd like to see a movie based on Zythum.
Hear, hear! Should John Rhys-Davies play the protagonist?
We'll take him into consideration.

edit:
Target Renegade lost one vote. Things are looking up.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

WIWC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:31 pm Target Renegade lost one vote. Things are looking up.
There's still hope!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Meh, Target Renegade FTW.

It's the second best game on the ZX Spectrum (Chaos being the first), and eclipses even those revered scrolling beat-em-'ups on other systems - Streets Of Rage and Final Fight.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Okayyy. I've done an extensive test of all the games in this poll, which involved me playing Manic Miner on my +2 over several evenings, and I've decided to pin my colours to the mast and say that I'm voting for Manic Miner. It encapsulates the Spectrum's feel and humour, so much so that other 8bit ports realised it wouldn't work if they didn't emulate it closely.

A "best of" the "best of" is always going to be interesting, and that's certainly the case here!

And as always, Cruelman is a sensible voice among the chaos:
WIWC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm No, Target Renegade, really? Going around smashing heads with a hammer? Come on, I thought we knew better than this.
I'd expect AMERICAN CULTURE-FILLED COMMODORE FAN BOYS to vote for such brainless macho stuff lacking the slightest bit of fantasy or originality or cuteness.
...mostly.
I'd like to see a movie based on Zythum.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:45 pm And as always, Cruelman is a sensible voice among the chaos:
Oh good, can we vote for it? :mrgreen:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com