Sorcery+

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
toot_toot
Dizzy

Sorcery+

Post by toot_toot » Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm

So I was doing a bit of reading on Sorcery on here https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4650 and the entry says
The compilation Now Games 3 contains an updated version of Sorcery ('Sorcery +'), with improved graphics and extra rooms.
Now I know that Sorcery+ is heralded as a great Amstrad CPC game, but I only every played Sorcery on my copy of Soft Aid. So I thought I'd play Sorcery+, but unfortunately there seems to be no file available to download.

I downloaded the TZX for Now Games 3 and sure enough, Sorcery on that compilation is very much different!

The original loading screen and in-game screen

But check out Sorcery+ (screenshots I've taken)!!!

So yes, it's a very much different game to Sorcery. It's got more rooms and it's got significantly better graphics.

Playing Sorcery+, I still have no idea what I'm doing but the graphics make a real difference. Did anyone else know about this version? Seems strange that it has no coverage at all (and surely there needs to be a new entry for Sorcery+)!!
2 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Re: Sorcery+

Post by Alessandro » Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 pm

toot_toot wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm
Did anyone else know about this version? Seems strange that it has no coverage at all (and surely there needs to be a new entry for Sorcery+)!!
I did. It was not granted a separate entry being an updated version only found in the Now Games 3 compilation, never released on its own in fact.
0 x

StooB
Microbot

Post by StooB » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:18 pm

Alessandro wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 pm
It was not granted a separate entry being an updated version only found in the Now Games 3 compilation, never released on its own in fact.
Uridium Plus was never released on its own either but that didn't stop it getting a separate entry.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:42 pm

I didn't know this case but it feel like a separate game for me.

See a similar case - Crystal Kingdom Dizzy and a recent remake of it:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9339
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=30381

By the way, this remake for me is simply called Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, not Crystal Kingdom Dizzy 2017 as database says.
And I would say there is not such thing as Sorcery+ too, just two different games called Sorcery.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:09 pm

I didn't know it.

Inexplicably I'm a huge fan of the original game and the new one seems cool.

Time to try it! :mrgreen:
0 x

spider
Dizzy

Post by spider » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:23 pm

I recall the original variant of this being on the Soft-Aid tape ( yes I did buy it "back then" :) ) although I did not really rate this game that much.

Could be well wrong here but memory serves correctly, can't go check now I have a very vague suspicion this was actually compiled Basic. As I say I can't check this now. :)

Was not really aware of the + version of it either, as I say it was on the S-A tape and that's as far as I can remember.
0 x

Daren
Dizzy

Post by Daren » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Is it still as rock hard as the original? Tried RZXing it the other week and had to throw in the towel, even with using rollback.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:36 am

StooB wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:18 pm
Alessandro wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 pm
It was not granted a separate entry being an updated version only found in the Now Games 3 compilation, never released on its own in fact.
Uridium Plus was never released on its own either but that didn't stop it getting a separate entry.
Well, what can I say? Another inconsistency in the old database has been found.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

I agree it makes sense to create a separate entry for Sorcery+.

The criteria originally adopted by Martijn was to keep "cosmetic" changes under the same ID (different title, new loading screen, etc). But to create a new ID if the game itself had noticeable differences, even if they didn't change a lot.

Here are a few examples I found at a quick glance (there are probably many others):

3D Bat Attack
Adventure Builder
Adventure Builder System
Automonopoli
Blood 'n' Guts
Bomberman
Booklist for ZX Spectrum
Bubble Buster
Cannon Ball
Chess
Chopper X-1
Christmas Collection
Complete Machine Code Package
Crashout
Dracman
Driller Tanks
Dustman
Enlarger+
Eric & the Floaters
Fantastic Voyage
Frankenstein Jnr.
Frogger + Specman
Go to Jail
Headstart
Hunter-Killer
Hyperlane
Hyperlane +
Hypertron
Itasundorious
Joystick Thunder
Masterchess
New Frogger + Specman
Operation Caretaker
Professional Snooker Simulator
Rays
Schizofrenia
Skate Wars
Skateball
Smashout!!
Soccer Star
Soccer Supremo
Spec-List
Spinads
Split Personalities
Super Brat
The Yellow Door
Tournament Snooker
Treble Champions
Treble Chance
Uridium
Uridium Plus
Valley of the Dead
Wild West Hero
Wimbledon

About the fact that Sorcery+ was only released in a compilation, that's fine. We already have more than 2,600 titles that were only released as part of a compilation, never released separately. And another 500 titles that were never released at all.
0 x