The best modern Speccy game beginning with A: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best modern Speccy game beginning with A: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Yes, it's time to do the A-Z for games that came out after the 'classic' era. And this is going to be contentious, because it's hard to really pinpoint the exact date when new Spectrum games were no longer out on the high street. The middle of 1993 appears to be the ballpark, at least for UK users.

And it's particularly tricky for me, as 99% of everything I play on a Speccy has been out in its commercial era. I've barely touched any homebrew, except for Buzzsaw+ (Foxton Locks Mix) which is a wonderful Pac Attack clone that does a great job of squeezing in colours that you wouldn't thought possible on a Speccy display. And I've played quite a few CSSCGC entries.

To conclude, I'm probably not the guy to run these polls, but this post is to get the first of them off the ground. If someone who knows the ZX Spectrum homebrew scene better than me (probably anyone), they're welcome to take over...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: The best modern Speccy game beginning with A: discussion

Post by Pegaz »

Ok, here are some good candidates:

- Albatrossity
- Alter Ego
- Apulija-13
- Amazing Rocketeer
- Adventures of Buratino
- Abe's Mission: Escape
- Antiquity Jones
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

l'Abbaye des Morts
mzx
Dizzy

Post by mzx »

All Present and Correct
Angry Birds (Opposition)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers for kicking this off Prodge. It's more of a niche than the other polls, and some letters may be unconvincing, but let's see how it goes. "A" looks pretty good so far.

We couldn't possibly forget this year's ZX-Dev winner: Aliens: Neoplasma

And, it feels like it should be "B", but the library title for Brunilda is "A": Los Amores de Brunilda (or should it be "Brunilda, Los Amores de", for the purposes of this poll?)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:10 pm Cheers for kicking this off Prodge. It's more of a niche than the other polls, and some letters may be unconvincing, but let's see how it goes. "A" looks pretty good so far.
No probs. It really should encourage me to get off my arse and try some of the post-1993 stuff for a change! I wallow too much in the familiar...
R-Tape wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:10 pmWe couldn't possibly forget this year's ZX-Dev winner: Aliens: Neoplasma
Wow, from that suggestion, I've looked it up, and spent the past 20 minutes playing it. Well there you go, it's a very very good reason why I need to check out the newer games. That is an absolute stunner. It's like a cross between Saboteur and Deviants and yet so so much better than either of those games. The graphics are pretty much up there with Rex, that's how good it is.

As a kid, I had both the Aliens games for the Spectrum, but they really weren't much cop at all. One of them was like Doom if it were ported to a Game N Watch device. Aliens: Neoplasma is so much more. I know it's not trying to be any of the Alien films, but it's certainly captured the essence perfectly. The lying computer is brilliant.

I'm not that good at it, but it doesn't matter. I've been having fun blasting away the aliens and facehuggers. Easily one of the best ZX Spectrum games I've ever played. It's the kind of thing Ocean should have put out. It's so good. Thank you for making me aware of this.
R-Tape wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:10 pmAnd, it feels like it should be "B", but the library title for Brunilda is "A": Los Amores de Brunilda (or should it be "Brunilda, Los Amores de", for the purposes of this poll?)
That will fit under A. Any translation of 'The' or 'A' is still equal to the way I discard it from a title.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm Wow, from that suggestion, I've looked it up, and spent the past 20 minutes playing it.
I should have given a direct link for that, here we go: https://zxonline.net/game/alien-game/ (Sanchez did give SC permission, but I need to get off my backside and clarify exactly to what before putting the files on here).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:22 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm Wow, from that suggestion, I've looked it up, and spent the past 20 minutes playing it.
I should have given a direct link for that, here we go: https://zxonline.net/game/alien-game/ (Sanchez did give SC permission, but I need to get off my backside and clarify exactly to what before putting the files on here).
That was the first webpage where I got to play it, but I don't really like playing things in browsers (even though I played at least 20 minutes of this game there!), so I eventually found the download link from a ProBoards forum. I had to register, but I got the two .TAP files in the end. Still very pleased.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I would also mention Aeon and All Hallows. I understand Awaken is a technically impressive Elite style game, but if it never got past the demo stage it probably doesn't belong here.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Azzurro 8bit Jam by Relevo is another funny game

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Is there any way to get ingame screens showing alongside the A-Z lists? It would make it easier to remember what the games are without having to go to their individual pages.