The best Speccy game by Bug-Byte: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Re: The best Speccy game by Bug-Byte: discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm
Spectral Invaders has the charm of being considered one of the first Spectrum games, published in 1982.
Yeah, from doing research for this, I've learnt that Bug-Byte (and its future labelmate Quicksilva) had games ready for the Spectrum pretty much off the bat. QuickSilva especially so, according to this story from an employee.
Nice read, Pete. Thanks for sharing!
1 x

hitm4n
Dizzy

Post by hitm4n » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Cavern Fighter wasn't bad, even enjoyed Kung Fu now and then, slow as it was. Styx also a good one, but Manic Miner stands tall. When i think about Manic Miner though, i would always think "Software Projects" rather than BugByte, maybe thats the version i had. Interestingly, what were the differences in the 2 releases?
0 x
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 pm

hitm4n wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm
When i think about Manic Miner though, i would always think "Software Projects" rather than BugByte, maybe thats the version i had. Interestingly, what were the differences in the 2 releases?
According to Wikipedia...
  • In Processing Plant, the enemy at the end of the conveyor belt is a bush in the original, whereas the Software Projects one resembles a PacMan ghost.
  • In Amoebatrons' Revenge, the original Bug-Byte amoebatrons look like alien octopuses with tentacles hanging down, whereas the Software Projects amoebatrons resemble the Bug-Byte logo - smiling beetles, with little legs up their sides.
  • In The Warehouse, the original game has threshers travelling up and down the vertical slots, rotating about the screen's X-axis. The Software Projects version has 'impossible triangle' sprites (i.e. the Software Projects logo) instead, which rotate about the screen's Z-axis.
  • The Bug-Byte cheat code was the numerical sequence "6031769" - based on Matthew Smith's driving licence. In the Software Projects version this changed to "typewriter".
  • Internal code changes meant that a new POKE was required for infinite lives.
0 x

zxbruno
Dizzy

Post by zxbruno » Tue May 14, 2019 4:10 am

Maybe I'm using rose-tainted glasses, but I've always been fond of The Birds and The Bees. I discovered the game even before I learned about the birds and the bees. :mrgreen:
1 x

Turtle_Quality
Berk

Post by Turtle_Quality » Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere at the time that Spectral Invaders was written for the Spectrum before Bug Byte received their first Spectrum, using the manual to understand the screen layout. May have just been marketing fluff but I was seriously impressed. But I never thought Space Invaders was interesting to play.

A friend of mine wrote to Bug Byte to ask what Styz was like and they sent him the game free !

Strangely enough I spent more time playing Bug Byte Pool than any other title over the years, it was soothing and quietly addictive. Though of course Manic Miner was a revelation and an addiction when it appeared, but like others here I thought it was Software Projects. We can't let it win best game for two software houses can we ?
0 x
Definition of loop : see loop

zxbruno
Dizzy

Post by zxbruno » Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 am

Turtle_Quality wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Bug Byte Pool
Hours of fun playing that game. Only played real pool years later, when I went to high school. :)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed May 15, 2019 5:57 am

I'll refrain from voting MM as well. There are quite a few games I need to remind myself of, and some I've never heard of.

I had a blast on Roboto (aka Myla D'Kaitch before it took LSD). It's not bad. Definitely one to file under 'charmingly quirky'.
0 x

Vampyre
Microbot

Post by Vampyre » Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 am

Disregarding MM my vote would go to Turmoil. A great platform game BITD and I love the way the oil has dual uses. It was really fun setting traps for the Arab enemies.
0 x

Vampyre
Microbot

Post by Vampyre » Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am

PeteProdge wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm
Spectral Invaders has the charm of being considered one of the first Spectrum games, published in 1982.
Yeah, from doing research for this, I've learnt that Bug-Byte (and its future labelmate Quicksilva) had games ready for the Spectrum pretty much off the bat. QuickSilva especially so, according to this story from an employee.
There was an interview with Sandy White a few years ago in one of the Edge Retro magazines where he and his girlfriend (Angela Sutherford?) were helping out at a PCW show on the Quicksilva stand. It was closing time and it became apparent that SW/AS literally had nowhere to go. So the Quicksilva boss opened the cash till, took out all of the notes they'd made at the show, and placed the lot in SW's hands. Pretty cool.
2 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am

What impressed me with Turmoil was how the oil drops were moved by the conveyer belts - an actual physics engine at work!
And how the enemies followed the same movement rules as the player, instead of just floating along fixed paths. Quite advanced features for the time.

But even so, Manic Miner is still a long way in front of anything else on that list for playability.
0 x